Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 04:48 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times

Advertisements

There are several place very close, but you have to have a HIGH budget. Under 300k+ good schools buys you the exburbs, that's just the way it goes. Sorry.

Or you buy or lease a townhouse in the Galleria area and use Briargrove. Tanglewest Townhomes are where many young families start. A VERY nice YMCA is within a block, the school within a few, Tanglewood Park and DogPark around the corner. It has it's own park/green space as well...ie
http://search.har.com/engine/5865-Do...HAR9312465.htm

There are some homes in western 77079, that would be a 25 minute commute you could look at. Some places in 77077... But you AREN'T going to find a single family home plus good school in the Galleria area..or even near it for anywhere under 450 (backing to Westhiemer). There is too much demand and money in this town.

This is most definately a work your way up town. "Cheap HOUSTON" is an urban Legand. CHEAP EXBURBS is an attainable fact.

PS-The neighborhoods you've been given in this thread are pretty much your only option in your price range for a single family home and good schools (in some cases only through elem.) near the Galleria.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 01-03-2010 at 05:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 04:55 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times
I have to disagree with EA... the Westbury area is still in the 200's with some good schools, five minutes from the Galleria.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:56 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I have to disagree with EA... the Westbury area is still in the 200's with some good schools, five minutes from the Galleria.

Westbury middle and High are good/safe? All I know of the elem. is that almost 50% of the kids qualify for free lunch...whatever that means....I admit I have no knowledge of Westbury and it's gentrification.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:09 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times
No, you're right, the high school is the big issue. But, there are good elementary schools, good middle schools (Johnston and Pin Oak), and I guess high school means finding a magnet or a private. But for the money, that's a pretty good compromise. Most sections of Westbury that are zoned to Parker or Kolter elementary are pretty nice, and Parkwest and Maplewood South are really beautiful neighborhoods. I'm not trying to proselytize; I'm just saying it's worth considering.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:27 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

People from Sugarland swear the commute isn't bad, you may want to look there.
It depends on where you work. I think my Sugar Land commute is bad because there isn't a park and ride to my employer and I really wish there was. So I'm stuck in a carpool and that isn't as flexible.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:49 AM

10 posts, read 35,779 times
OK, so on to another part of Houston. What about Kingwood/Atascosita? What is the commute like to the Galleria during traffic? How to the schools compare to the other suburbs?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:07 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,194,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmc View Post
OK, so on to another part of Houston. What about Kingwood/Atascosita? What is the commute like to the Galleria during traffic? How to the schools compare to the other suburbs?
A longer commute than Sugar Land.

Have you looked at the neighborhoods I mentioned in Spring Branch? Yes, they are older but about the only alternative.

I agree with EasilyAmused - it's either those neighborhoods, or the suburbs. People with kids have to weigh the fact of a commute against a yard, etc. - in looking at a townhome/condo in the Galleria. Most that have gone that route became unhappy and wound up moving to the 'burbs anyway, incurring extra costs as to a second set of moving and closing costs.

Construction costs are pretty much the same close in or in the suburbs. The difference is the land costs - close in, that land is expensive because the supply is limited.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:25 PM

OK, Spring Branch wins. What about the schools Nottingham Elem. & Meadow Wood Elem? Neighborhoods that are showing up in our price range are Nottingham Forest, Westchester, & Thornwood. How is the commute to the Galleria during rush hour? Give me the good, bad and ugly about these places. Thanks for all the help and input too.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:38 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,194,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmc View Post
OK, Spring Branch wins. What about the schools Nottingham Elem. & Meadow Wood Elem? Neighborhoods that are showing up in our price range are Nottingham Forest, Westchester, & Thornwood. How is the commute to the Galleria during rush hour? Give me the good, bad and ugly about these places. Thanks for all the help and input too.
Nothing bad or ugly - I like those neighborhoods. Take Briar Forest in - it seems to move the fastest.

Stratford High serves all three - good school. Ditto Spring Forest middle. Both elementaries are good - I notice people strive toward Nottingham more.

All three neighborhoods will continue an upward value spiral.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:52 PM

Thanks cheryjohns you have been very helpful. Has anyone heard about or had a child attend Trinity Classical School? It seems to be an affordable private school route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston