Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:24 AM

789 posts, read 1,527,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Maybe HPD needs to establish more field sobriety checkpoints at random spots to catch frequent offenders.
Haha, there would be a lot less drivers on the road I know that. I know many places where they could set up camp. If people hate the non-walkability of Houston now, they are going to cry when there are tons of peoples vehicles getting taken. Metro's profits would go up for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 09:27 AM

102 posts, read 326,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
Haha, there would be a lot less drivers on the road I know that. I know many places where they could set up camp. If people hate the non-walkability of Houston now, they are going to cry when there are tons of peoples vehicles getting taken. Metro's profits would go up for sure.
I think we just found the solution to Houston's traffic problems.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:44 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
Just like violent street crime, only solution is common sense prevention on own

Bar, nightlife and restaurant industry will intensely fight any attempt to prevent DUI (and reduce their profits from alcohol sales)

Most drivers are inept/distracted (texting), yet often drive slow, sloppy and run red lts, etc when sober, let alone when DUI (and not sure DUI is worse than texting while driving)

And many drivers are illegal immigrants and/or lack drivers' license and/or are uninsured and have far less to lose in life if anything bad happens

Driving is anyone's riskiest daily activity; need to buy safest car one can afford, w/maximal active and passive safety...and avoid roads/times where/when more drivers are likely DUI/reckless

I routinely will opt for a longer route to destinations if it entails safer, wider, smoother roads/fwys in more upscale corridors w/lower risks of unsafe drivers...and w/more exit strategies if one needs to brake/swerve in any emergency

Old 01-02-2010, 11:23 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
For all the emphasis Texas likes to place on its image of being "tough on crime", it sure is soft on DWI's. Even intoxication manslaughter is only a second-degree felony. I remember a case where a drunk who was out on bail awaiting trial smashed into a disabled car parked on the shoulder on 59, crushing the motorist to death and severely injuring the good smaritan who was offering assistance. The perp was awaiting trial for a previous DWI charge. Why he was on the road in the first place is beyond me.
Because he has a right to a trial by jury...

And NO matter what we don't want to give up that right..

Old 01-02-2010, 12:11 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,759,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
7 people killed already in 2010 in Houston because of drunks and driving stupidity.

New year gets off to a grim start on roads

I'm not sure of the solution but this makes me really sad and angry!
This is Texas and no one likes changes, don't get your hopes up high thinking the DWI laws are going to get tougher. People will stick their heads in the sand and forget all about it by Monday, chalk it up as the "as long as it's not in my neighborhood syndrome"

Last edited by usc619; 01-02-2010 at 12:52 PM..

Old 01-02-2010, 12:30 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Because he has a right to a trial by jury...

And NO matter what we don't want to give up that right..
I absolutely agree with your statement above.

But, please get back to us with your thoughts on this the morning that you are notified that someone you love was killed by a drunk that was awaiting trial on a previous DWI charge.

The point is, this is a problem for all of us, not just other people.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:09 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
This is Texas and no one likes changes, don't get your hopes up high thinking the DWI laws are going to get tougher. People will stick their heads in the sand and forget all about it by Monday, chalk it up as the "as long as it's not in my neighborhood syndrome"
Well, judging by the map they showed on the news last night, this is a problem in everyone's neighborhood, or at least anyone who travels on Houston highways. The locations of the deaths were scattered all over the Houston metro area.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:11 PM

55 posts, read 85,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Maybe HPD needs to establish more field sobriety checkpoints at random spots to catch frequent offenders.
highly doubt that is going to happen, especially since we voted to our new mayor of quee& who does not believe in law enforcement as a whole.

Last edited by NYrangers; 01-02-2010 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-02-2010, 03:17 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
I absolutely agree with your statement above.

But, please get back to us with your thoughts on this the morning that you are notified that someone you love was killed by a drunk that was awaiting trial on a previous DWI charge.

The point is, this is a problem for all of us, not just other people.
I'm 100% against anyone drinking and driving...

I really be pi**ed off if it happened to a family member and would probably want to take care of the person myself.. And when they were found guilty I'd hope that they would be sent away for years..

And I have a daughter that was seriously hurt by someone let out of prison on an early parole.. So I sort of know how the hurt is... Had he still been locked up as he should have been she would have never been hurt.

I'm all for coming up with some kind of law to deal with drunk drivers waiting for their trial to keep them from behind the steering wheel, but until then we have to live with what we have..

Old 01-02-2010, 05:18 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,329 times
They have technology (although not perfect) to have these breathalyzers in cars so that if you fail the test, the car doesn't start.
Toyota testing drunk-driver lockdown device | Crave - CNET and many other articles on the web about this.

Sure, it's not perfect, but i think if we invest a little more money on research and development, we can soon tweak it up to a point where it's closer to perfection. Even if not perfect - sometimes it gives false positives- I'd rather we err on the safe side....Besides, ppl who own this device should know that false positives can be given by mouthwashes, etc so they'll just have to avoid alcohol laden mouthwashes and use the non-alcohol ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: