Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 02:08 PM

70 posts, read 186,316 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting the area after I move back to Mexico and want to eat at some Asian restaurants while I am in the area. I prefer Chinese, Japanese and VietNamese to other Asian cuisines.

Does anyone know anything about the stores in Chinatown? I will be looking for Chinese fabrics, decorative items, etc and Japanese dishes and other kitchen items.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 03:40 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
For Chinese & Vietnamese food...Tan Tan, Sinh Sinh, Ocean Palace, & Kim Son (Bellaire & Sugar Land; don't go downtown) are the main ones. Also try the Pho restaurants in Hong Kong Mall, they're some of the best you've ever tasted in your life.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-03-2010 at 03:48 PM..

Old 01-03-2010, 06:56 PM

177 posts, read 425,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevImmigrant View Post
I will be visiting the area after I move back to Mexico and want to eat at some Asian restaurants while I am in the area. I prefer Chinese, Japanese and VietNamese to other Asian cuisines.

Does anyone know anything about the stores in Chinatown? I will be looking for Chinese fabrics, decorative items, etc and Japanese dishes and other kitchen items.

Thank you.
Yeah, you will find enough Vietnamese places to eat just right along Bellair Blvd on either side of Belt 8. Pho Ngon right there on Bellair Blvd is delicious and has many selections, clean, and spacious. Pho Saigon is fab. Just spend a few hours in that Hong Kong Mall off of Bellaire Blvd will satisfy you greatly as far as walking around observing, shopping, and dining, I guarantee.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:05 AM

105 posts, read 265,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeTon View Post
Yeah, you will find enough Vietnamese places to eat just right along Bellair Blvd on either side of Belt 8. Pho Ngon right there on Bellair Blvd is delicious and has many selections, clean, and spacious. Pho Saigon is fab. Just spend a few hours in that Hong Kong Mall off of Bellaire Blvd will satisfy you greatly as far as walking around observing, shopping, and dining, I guarantee.
+1 for Pho Saigon!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Agree on Pho Saigon, one of my favorite quick places. I had never even heard of "pho" before moving here! Pho Saigon Noodle House - Houston's Premiere Vietnamese Noodle House - Locations
There's a second Sugar Land location about to open on W Airport Blvd.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:48 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,303 times
Yeah you should go to Hongkong city mall, for the (vietnamese) fabrics and some pricey asian home decor.

on the east side there's this new mall on corporate drive, they have good korean, chinese etc., Kubos sushi is there too. and theres 'Fit' - japanase thrift store - lots of good stuff

Old 01-04-2010, 06:34 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
I've surveyed a lot of asians that I know b/c it seems like all we ever talk about is food, and it's a toss up. Some swear by this place, and others by that place. Most agreed upon answers: Pho Danh (HK mall) for pho; Phanh Ky for dry-style vn noodles; Tan Tan or Confucious or Hong Kong Food Street for chinese; Sinh Sinh for chinese seafood delicacies; Kim Son hw59xKirkwood or Ocean Palace for Dim Sum -some like Fung's kitchen but not me; Tom's Thai for Thai; Crazy Hot Pot for - you guessed it; Kaneyama for Japanese; Korea Town is up on Longpoint east of Gessner. Anyway, to each his own tastebuds...just throwing out names.
There are two other big asian grocery stores, other than HK market, both on Blalock just north of IH10 -Ranch 99 and Hmart I think are their names. Hmart is more Korean so you'll find the best kimchi there..yummmmm. Ranch 99 is Taiwanese and is not that great, imo.
You can get decor stuff shopping on Bellaire, Harwin and Longpoint, I don't remember specific spots b/c i just browse...-just be sure you know how to distinguise authentic craftwork from cheap immitation from China...esp talking about Japanese lacquer and pottery, unless you don't care.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:36 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
I like H Mart's little dining area.

Ocean Palace: I've love that place for years but...I've had two food poisoning experiences lately over there. It's a Christmas Day tradition NO MORE for me..or any other time.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:53 AM

70 posts, read 186,316 times
Are any of the Chinese restaurants having anything special for Chinese New Year on Sunday, 14 February? That's when we're planning to go. My cousin who lives in Magnolia mentioned Ocean Palace and said there was an article in the paper about them.

Easily Amused, it takes 12-24 hours for the organisms that cause food poisoning to incubate and cause symptoms, so you have to keep that in mind when you try to determine the source of the food poisoning.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 9,466 times
For the dim sum experience, I like Fung's Kitchen the best. I also like Azuma for sushi (Rice Village). Matsu is a GREAT Japanese restaurant, and it's in the northwest side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston