Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,642 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with either of these schools and if so, were your experiences positive or negative and why? I am particularly interested in experiences with children between the ages of 4 and 7. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 04:17 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
No experience with Bay Area Montessori but Lutheran South - yes. One child went there. If I had the opportunity to send my kid to a high school in CCISD - I would do that versus a private school. I found my kid who didn't go to the private school actually got a better education and intro into real life at his public school than the one who went to Lutheran High South and he didn't even have the luxury of CCISD - he went to a poorly rated school. CCISD is one of the tops but understand if you prefer privates - some people just do. The one in public school had more of a worldly knowledge and more a wide range of knowledge (and diverse friends) and wasn't so sheltered from real life -- the one in private seemed to have zero interactions or friendship with anyone who wasn't white and the world just isn't made up of that. THe one at Lutheran didn't seem as prepared for life after h.s. or the real world in general. Just my opinion after having kids do both public and private. I'm sure others will have opposite experiences.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
No experience with Montessori but yes with LSA. I agree with the previous poster that CCISD does an excellent job at the elementary levels, and unless one has a religious preference in elementary education I highly recommend the public schools, at least until Intermediate years. And then, even at that point, it will be dependent on your child's specific needs and offerings of the schools (more attention at private school, more chances to play sports at private school, more variety of classes at public school, higher levels of academics and sports skills at public, etc.).

One note about LSA is that in the last years of our child's attendance the school emphasized that their primary job was to promote Lutheran doctrine first, which may be at odds with your particular beliefs. It wasn't overwhelming, but it was there. In general though, the school did provide a decent level of personal attention to the children at the Intermediate level (more so than public Intermediate), but the experience for the children is very insular. Many of the children and families have longstanding ties to the church and school, and there is a greater amount of cliquishness than in public schools (probably no worse than most private schools, however). Also, there was little to no ethnic or racial diversity (42 in class, 38 were Caucasian), and a pervasive intolerance of people and kids who were "different."

FYI, I returned my child to public school for HS, as there were greater education and other opportunities, and we have been extremely happy.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:57 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
CCISD is outstanding and for people who are interested in math/science/engineering careers - they have some additional great programs in addition to the good curriculum they already have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: