Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:59 AM

54 posts, read 271,803 times

Advertisements

I have an older house in Memorial with pipes in the attic and I plan to drip the outside faucets beginning Thursday evening.

I also own a couple of 1920's rent houses on pier and beam with un-insulated pipes under the house. I am unsure what action to take to protect the pipes. Bother are inside the loop so they should not get extended freezing temps. One is empty until the 15th so it also has no heat.

I am thinking the safest thing to do is turn off the main and drain all the water I can from the lowest faucet. I also plan to turn on the heat to keep the inside about 45 degrees or so.

What is the best way to protect an old pier and beam house's pipes?
And conventional slab also.
Your comments are appreciated.

For those folks with pools don't forget to run your pump 24/7 till the temps get above freezing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 06:35 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Pipes above and below should be insulated. Turn off the water and drain in empty house but remember not to run the water heater dry, turn it off too. Also DO NOT allow the water to run at a drip, do the job properly. If everyone allows their water to drip, water pressure across the system will drop to seriously low and dangerous levels especially when combined with broken pipes (and there will be many). This will of course prevent yours from dripping and you will have no protection. More importantly, there tend to be more fires during cold weather and low pressure will prevent the fire department from putting out or controlling any fires...remember it could be your home on fire.

I found that this is a good link for preparedness tips: http://www.allstate.com/catastrophe/winter-freeze.aspx

Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
One of the major things with these old Memorial houses is to make sure the garden hoses are disconnected from the faucets, and the faucets completely wrapped and covered. Also, blanket all the pvc pipes to the pool equipment, make sure all traps are clear of the stupid pine needles and oak leaves, and run them the system from 7pm to around 9am the next day.

Also, make sure the main water line coming to the house is proptected, and the irrigation connection as well.

Also, if you have older windows, make sure that no room is closed off. Pipes in the walls may have problems if you let one room turn into an ice box.

PS- Most people try to keep the house above 50.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 01-05-2010 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: typing on a phone is harder than it looks

Old 01-05-2010, 07:55 AM

Also make sure you open the cabinets under sinks that are located on outside walls so the house heat can get to them.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:21 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,739 times
So are houses in Houston just not built to withstand freezing or what? Up north, nobody blinks when it gets cold. I hardly consider 32 degrees cold.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:26 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,303 times
we got pipe heaters up north

Old 01-05-2010, 08:27 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
So are houses in Houston just not built to withstand freezing or what? Up north, nobody blinks when it gets cold. I hardly consider 32 degrees cold.

Older houses sometimes have lost some of their insulation around pipes over time, and most still have metal pipes in there guts.

New houses run risks too, as even most of the better tract builders cheap out in properly insulating and protecting the PVC pipes in the walls.

Everyone's pools have a risk of burst PVC if you don't take precautions. Everyone's outdoor faucet are at risk.

Hard freezes are rare, so yes, everyone freaks out a little after years of being lazy and not properly maintaining pipes and pools.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post

Not really. Up north you tend to have things like basements where your pipes run. Basements are naturally insulated to some extent, they really have nothing in common with pipes running through attics or under crawl spaces or the dangers thereof. Houses with crawlspaces up north tend to have good insulation underneath which might cause a moisture problem here, and some up north have heaters. So, I guess you could say the design is different for different general climates.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:09 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,429 times
Houses in Clear Lake are built with uninsulated PVC pipes above the attic insulation. No one blinks in the north because the pipes are between the insulation and the inside walls or in the basement.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 11,949 times
It was recommended to me to nightly:
1) run a tub of water for flushing toilets, etc.
2) turn off the water to my house
3) turn on a few faucets (inside and outside) to let the water run through
4) turn off faucets when pipes are empty
5) then wrap up the outside faucets to protect them

Then the next morning, once the temp has come up above freezing, turn the water back on for regular use.

Is this overkill?

I live in a 50+ year old house in Sharpstown --- with some pipes in the attic. My house is poorly insulated. I can make due without having water (temporarily) and I can shower at the gym. I'm just to trying to avoid broken/burst pipes and water damage.

Help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston