Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:54 PM

20 posts, read 70,362 times

Advertisements

I've noticed alot of turnover at Fall Creek and forclosures. Is there something I'm missing? I am thinking about the neighborhood b/c of its proximity to downtown and schools. Any input from people who know about the area? Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 10:25 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,247,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob142 View Post
I've noticed alot of turnover at Fall Creek and forclosures. Is there something I'm missing? I am thinking about the neighborhood b/c of its proximity to downtown and schools. Any input from people who know about the area? Thanks...
Opening a can of worms! I am sure you will get an ear full with this loaded question. Great neighborhood. Those who love it and those who don't. Great schools. In MY opinion Redstone has made home prices go up there which to me is over rated. As for turn over I am thinking it is just because of hard times. Sooo many people are loosing there homes. It makes me sooo sad! We live in Eagle Springs and there is quite a bit of turn over here as well I believe. A house just down the street from us went into Foreclosure this past week. I pray for all those families loosing there homes.
Anyways, again Fall Creek is great if you like the area. Anybody who answers any type of question like this one will always say their community is the best. It is all in personal preference and what feels right to you. Fall Creek was not it for us. Hate the Belt Way. Not really any shopping around but i am sure that will change. Surrounding areas questionable but again all in who you talk to.
Happy house hunting!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:35 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,035,306 times
There's a lot of turn over in most subdivisions built in the 2000's. Especially between 2003 and 2007. As this is when most lenders over extended themselves by allowing almost anyone to buy a home with 0 down. Now in 2008, 2009, and 2010, those subdivisions are feeling it the hardest.

Subdivisions built before then had more established residents and aren't feeling it as bad.

This explains fall creek and many others. Just worry about getting a good deal now. Don't overpay and you'll be fine.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:40 PM

20 posts, read 70,362 times
Ok. I hear that there are alot of questionable areas close to Fall Creek. Is that north of Beltway 8 and everywhere else? Is it dangerous to go to the grocery store and etc? Driving in Fall Creek, you wouldn't know that it was surrounded by shady areas...

Old 01-10-2010, 10:52 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,035,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob142 View Post
Ok. I hear that there are alot of questionable areas close to Fall Creek. Is that north of Beltway 8 and everywhere else? Is it dangerous to go to the grocery store and etc? Driving in Fall Creek, you wouldn't know that it was surrounded by shady areas...
It's safe there. But like many other parts of town, they are near some not so desirable areas. People from those areas tend to go to the nicer shopping areas close by.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:00 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,247,927 times
Take into consideration the fact that you have two apartment...no now three apartment complexes right out in front of Fall Creek. May not matter now but I could see where that could possible hurt resale value in the future no matter how nice the community is. I guess technically the newest is next door and not in front. You will also have quicker "get away" access once the Belt Way is finished. Easier for would be theifs to get in get what they want and get out quickly.
On the other hand the Belt Way will lend to getting to downtown quicker which is a major factor I think that draws people to that community. Commute times are horrible around here. My hubby works in Baytown so he is looking forward to it all being completed but not having it at our front door. Another community you may also be interested in Summerwood. Now mind you they do not go into the millions or have Redstone but you will also not be paying for those.
For both Fall Creek and Summerwood factor in that there is the awesome new High School if you have school aged kiddos. I believe there will also be a new middle school for 2010-2011 school year. I think that is what our friends said. They have a middle schooler.
With what ever community you choose take your time looking if you can. There are plenty of great deals popping up every week. Sadly due to misfortune of others but good deals none the less. For instance last week here in Eagle Springs there is a 3700 sq ft home that came up for just $236,000 I believe. It looks like a Village Builder but not sure. Either way the inside does not appear to be in need of repair like some other Foreclosures. I would say it is probably an upper 200's home if not low 300's.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:30 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,371,842 times
Some economists are saying the worst wave of foreclosures is just beginning and will actually peek in 2011. And like said above, newer areas are affected more than older/established neighborhoods.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 01-11-2010 at 09:54 AM..

Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,097,224 times
Texas wasn't hit as hard as a lot of the rest of the country in regards to hard economic times, and now I think we are starting to catch up a little. I think Houston (and Texas) will begin to see more layoffs, foreclosures, etc in the next year or two.

I agree with everything Txgal said about Fall Creek. I am not sure I would say there are "bad" areas around there, just lower income areas. There are some higher end apartments (but apartments none the less) in front of Fall Creek (on Fall Creek property), and on the other side of the Beltway across from Fall Creek is the lower income neighborhoods. THere are also some pretty run down condos over there. But I am not sure if there's drive bys on a daily basis or anything like that. I am sure it has its fair share of criminal acitivity though.

I do think Fall Creek is a great community, especially for commuting to downtown. But I think Summerwood will be just as good, and only adding ~10 minutes to that commute once the Beltway is completed (another year or so?).

I personally live in Eagle Springs because we fell in love with this community and felt like it was the right one for us. Each of these 3 communities are great, and all have lots to offer. I like that Eagle Springs is closer to shopping and restaurants, and am willing to take that extra 15 minutes driving time for it. I work in the Medical Center by the way, and commute 5 days a week.

Take the time to drive through all the communities, and surrounding areas, and you will feel which one is for you!

Old 01-11-2010, 09:45 PM

235 posts, read 799,350 times
I hardly ever eat out and I only grocery shop once or twice a week but I commute to work daily, so personally I would take Fall Creek over the others. But the apartments right out in front are definite concerns. Any neighborhood that has so many apartments close by make me cringe. High end or not... they eventually get to a point where they're not all that high end anymore.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:49 PM

6 posts, read 12,393 times
Our family has lived in Fall Creek for several years. We really like it here. Once the Beltway is finished in a little more than a year, a lot more retail establishments will be built. They are supposed to build an HEB nearby. Our son goes to Fall Creek Elementary and the teachers are very good. Fall Creek is close to downtown.

The only downside is the apartments along the beltway. As much as I like living in Fall Creek, sometimes I think Johnson Development, the developer of Fall Creek, is the worst developer in Houston. They don't have a clue as to what they're doing. I can't believe they sold all that land along the beltway so they could be lined with apartments. Believe me, they don't care about the community only money in their pockets.

Despite the developer, I would still choose Fall Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston