Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:42 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times

Advertisements

Just a note, "Hispanic" does not necessarily equal "Spanish-speaking."

I know loads of people who are nominally Hispanic but speak less Spanish than I do (and I'm a gringo) - I wouldn't really call myself fluent either. They're doing good to hold their own reading the menu at the local taqueria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 09:23 PM

433 posts, read 1,930,050 times
"Just a note, "Hispanic" does not necessarily equal "Spanish-speaking."

I agree with you 100%...

To the OP- I just really wish there were more language immersion programs for the kids in the elem. schools. If you find out more about the Chinese immersion school, please let me know!! For Saturday Chinese school- try the Chinese COmmunity Center in Chinatown or Famewell School in Sugar Land.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:07 PM

19 posts, read 41,125 times
I'm from the Chicago area & my son's schools did not have Spanish Immersion programs. Hell, half the kids graduating were found not to be at "College level" in the their own mother language. Looking at the blogs, I'd say some adults are having a problem as well.... I would like to see the schools focus on English - how to speak and spell correctly. If they have anything left of their budget, how about classes on "Emotional Maturity"?

Old 01-30-2010, 02:35 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Living in the greater Houston area is a Spanish immersion course in itself. Look at how rapidly you can learn billboard spanish - because you know if you drink too much cerveza and drive -- you'll need your abogado. The thread I posted on Atascocita growth had a link to an article that state the area's Hispanic population has grown by 268% or 278% -- yes live here and you will learn Spanish or at least some.

Last edited by texas7; 01-30-2010 at 03:08 PM..

Old 03-18-2010, 02:54 PM

4 posts, read 9,695 times
Default Sugar Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummsantos View Post
Hello,

We are thinking of moving back to Houston from San Jose. My daughter is currently in a spanish immersion public school here. Any of those in Houston?
Also, is Sugarland still a nice area to live in?

Yes, Sugar Land is still a great place to live and raise children. There is a great private school named Fort Bend Baptist Academy there. It is a good preparatory school that has a great Spanish Program. Both of my children graduated from there.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:02 PM

I think that all our elementary students should be taught a second language. It is a must for their future success. It makes no difference what they plan to be as an adult. They will benefit by speaking more than one language. If they are given the opportunity as a young child to learn a second language it makes it easier to go forward in high school or college to choose a foreign language. It is all about learning how to learn languages.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy mickle View Post
I'm from the Chicago area & my son's schools did not have Spanish Immersion programs. Hell, half the kids graduating were found not to be at "College level" in the their own mother language. Looking at the blogs, I'd say some adults are having a problem as well.... I would like to see the schools focus on English - how to speak and spell correctly. If they have anything left of their budget, how about classes on "Emotional Maturity"?
cindymickle

I hear what you are saying. It is sad to hear about students that have not been given the education they deserve. I am so sad to see that more students do not choose to go to college after their experience in some schools.
Giving them the opportunity to learn a second language helps them learn more about our English grammar. I say this because they will hear many times how the grammar in French or Spanish is different from our English grammar therefore helping them remember that in English class.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:17 PM

Texas7,
You are write their is a lot of hispanics in Houston. We should take our eyes off of that and look at how we can give our English speaking children the same advantage as we are giving the Spanish speaking students. I mean we are giving our Spanish speaking students an advantage by teaching them a second language (English). We should give our English speaking students that same advantage by teaching them a second language as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston