U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 01:51 AM

14 posts, read 33,687 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are thinking of moving back to Houston from San Jose. My daughter is currently in a spanish immersion public school here. Any of those in Houston?
Also, is Sugarland still a nice area to live in?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 06:31 AM

949 posts, read 2,284,312 times
Check Fielder Elem in Katy ISD... I've heard they do a Spanish immersion program. You mention Sugar Land, so you seem to be looking at suburbs. Fielder is in the northern portions of Cinco Ranch. (10 miles north of Sugar Land) Not sure if you have to be zoned there to participate in this program. For ex, they bus ESL kids from my neighborhood in SW Cinco Ranch, but the Spanish Immersion would be elective...

see Katy ISD for details or call Fielder directly

Old 01-12-2010, 07:15 AM

433 posts, read 1,763,023 times
Default my dream

i wish there were more! this is my only complaint of houston. spanish (and chinese) immersion are everywhere in the chicago area. i have friends in small towns in wisconsin, in nyc, in tulsa, in the most random palce that have excellent spanish immersion in the public schools starting in preK. and here in HOUSTON where it would be so easy to find certified native speakers, they don't have any programs!!?? it is amazing to me and ridiculous. if you find any please post here!!! we are in sugar land and while we enjoy it, i wish my kids could be learning spanish in school.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:29 AM

3,702 posts, read 16,764,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
i wish there were more! this is my only complaint of houston. spanish (and chinese) immersion are everywhere in the chicago area. i have friends in small towns in wisconsin, in nyc, in tulsa, in the most random palce that have excellent spanish immersion in the public schools starting in preK. and here in HOUSTON where it would be so easy to find certified native speakers, they don't have any programs!!?? it is amazing to me and ridiculous. if you find any please post here!!! we are in sugar land and while we enjoy it, i wish my kids could be learning spanish in school.
Probably because the majority of kids do not need spanish immersion, they get that at home. They do need to learn English, so we have ESL.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:21 AM

that isn't true at all. in sugar land i think we only have 7% hispanic. the woodlands and katy have equal or less. we speak spanish at home and i still would like my kids to be literate and learn the academic vocabulary that comes from a true immersion (learning science in spanish, learning geography in spanish, etc). we have ESL in chicago as well, for kids of all linguisitic backgrounds, and it is english ONLY. that is different than bilingual or immersion.
i don't even care if it isn't spanish immersion- i would take chinese, french, whatever. get the kids learning another language while they're young! instead, we pay to go the chinese school on saturdays for 2 hours (which is only helping improve their vocab a little through songs, etc). i spend every afternoon doing homeschool lessons on different subjects in spanish so they can be exposed to different themes and vocabulary.

OP- please, post any schools you find!!!

Old 01-18-2010, 08:52 AM

14 posts, read 33,687 times
Thanks everyone for the responses. I spoke with FBISD and they have a 1st and 2nd grade cohort but not enough funding for a new one next year :-(.

I was told AISD has one group that is in Kinder now.

HISD has more but they are far away and in places like Pasadena.

According to FBISD the reason there isn't many dual immersion programs is because there is not enough interest from the non-native speakers. You need to have 50% non-native speakers in the classroom to make the program successful. Funny, here in San Jose we have the opposite problem. Latin Parents are relunctant to put their child in the program because they think it will hinder their kids English skills. They also said HISD or AISD were looking to start Dual Immersion for Mandarin.

BTW- anyone know of a good school to put my son in to learn Mandarin or horseback riding? He is second grade. WE plan on moving to Sugarland or Cinco RAnch. Thanks!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:23 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,562,345 times
More language programs in elementary school would be awesome, but it's tough to fit it in with the rigorous academics they seem to already have. As I've said before, I'm pretty amazed by the Kindergarten curriculum at Katy ISD...

There are quite a few kids on my street that are bussed to Fielder Elementary in Katy for the Spanish Immersion program. I understand it's very popular, but also tough to get into because they can only hold so many kids.

I do think the secondary schools must be doing a decent job of teaching Spanish around here because when I moved here I was blown away by all the service workers at every store, restaurant and fast food joint being biliingual...even caucasion high school kids. It seems like it must be a job requirement around here. I can't tell you how often I have wished I spoke Spanish since moving here, being fluent in German is utterly worthless to me, but in my high school the Spanish program was horrible and the German program was exceptional.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:41 AM

9,274 posts, read 24,078,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
that isn't true at all. in sugar land i think we only have 7% hispanic. the woodlands and katy have equal or less.

you need to look a little closer at the demographics in the schools. ie. Latest stats have a pretty good number of hispanics. Fort Bend ISD has it at 23% Hispanic for 2007-2008. It's been increasing about 2% a year. So that would put you currently at 1/4 of the student population.

Most of the schools in the Woodlands are approaching 15% as well. I would assume Katy is in there somewhere.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 01-18-2010 at 11:53 AM..

Old 01-18-2010, 11:52 AM

3,567 posts, read 4,191,240 times
I speak 3 languages fluently, and I only speak 2 of them frequently. I don't speak spanish though. It's not about "can I use this language in Houston" to me, it's rather the ability to speak it. Not sure what sbhubbell is talking about, but I have yet to meet a High Schooler who can speak a language "fluently" after some semesters of taking that language in High School. You won't learn much but its better than nothing, I guess. I gotta say that I set the bar very high when it comes to speaking a language.
If you want them to speak spanish, then I think you're doing a good job by speaking it at home. The dad of one of my friends is from Spain. So he does speak spanish fluently, and I'm not just talking about basic spanish. He can understand/speak anything, it's just like being a native speaker. They are still able to pick up a lot of words from different sources. I wouldn't worry about this.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:36 AM

Easily Amused: You are correct that the Ft. Bend ISD has a higher percentage of Hispanics.

However, Sugar Land (according to the Census Bureau) has 7.9% Hispanic. Our elementary school only has under 5% Hispanic. So obviously there must be some Spanish speakers in one of the schools to bump up the % in FBISD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or