Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:30 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
Well this is completely a subjective observation. Depending on who you are you would find MANY other cities much more entertaining than Houston.

Just curious is there any chance I could get a list of your "fun-looking stuff"?
I have a hunch what it may include, but if I could see it, then I would be reassured.

And is it LA's fault that you couldn't afford to have fun there or is it your fault?

To the OP

If you can afford it (which it seems like you and your wife can) you might want to consider San Diego over Houston.

Of course it's not LA's fault but it's not my fault either or perhaps the OP's desire to put a huge % of their income into housing at the expense of the "fun stuff". You're single so, sure, you can get by living in a studio or 1-bedroom if you chose, but I have a wife and 3 children and didn't want us all sleeping on foam pallettes and sleeping bags on the floor when I lived in LA! Also, we can't all chose professions that make the $200-300k/year to qualify for a loan on a decent sized ranch with 3-4 bedrooms in a safe neighborhood in San Diego or Los Angeles.

You're absolutely right on your last statement. If I were The Tiger (sans possible future alimoney, legal, and child-support obligations) or somebody gave me a free paid-off house in a great neighborhood I'd return to Southern California in a heartbeat. It's much more visually spectacular, better beaches, better summer climate, more diversity of outdoor experiences, and two NHL Hockey teams (although I don't think that this is a dealmaker/breaker for most people). In this real world that we live, however, I think Houston is a much better situation for middle class people with kids and without rich parents giving them downpayments.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:44 AM

40 posts, read 69,781 times
I think that's where our issue is. I think we can afford to live in San Diego but can we live somewhere else (i.e. Houston) and not have to put a lot of money into a house, but at the same time have a good quality of life...Nice weather all year round, natural beauty, etc.

That's why we wanted to see what people who live in Houston thought about the area. Do they really enjoy living there (i.e., would it be a tough decision for them to leave). The one point that most people make about Houston is the cost of housing.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:03 AM

129 posts, read 460,835 times
Default New to Houston

We moved here from Ohio late this summer and love it so far. The people are so friendly and the emphasis on family and community is probably the best I've ever seen (I've lived in OH, CA, OR, and NY).

Old 01-13-2010, 10:16 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
No matter economics, wouldn't want to raise kids in SD vs Houston (and I'd rather be single in Hou than in sleepy SD; the hotties from SD all leave for "work" in LA or LV)

SD's economy is much weaker than Houston's....Hou has a powerful energy industry with many smart executives and entrepreneurs (Hou is to energy industry what SiliconValley is to tech industry)

SD's only major valuable co. is Qualcomm; SD's essentially an economic and intellectual wasteland beyond Qualcomm

Local economy determines no. of parents who are well-educated professionals who are more concerned about their kids' education and future career choices...and inevitably affects quality of best suburban schools

As a car nut, have often favored the many amazing mtn roads around SF and LA to enjoy for fun wkend drives (save a lot of money in CA as its nr-perfect weather/topography makes staycations quite pleasurable)....but nowhere in Northeast or TX has such challenging rds as CA's coastal mtns....trade-offs of life....if not a car/biking nut, Houston and Dallas are no-brainer choices as some of best places on planet

Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 AM

40 posts, read 69,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Local economy determines no. of parents who are well-educated professionals who are more concerned about their kids' education and future career choices...and inevitably affects quality of best suburban schools
As parents who are concerned about our children's education, I haven't heard too much on the education system in Houston. I know that there are schools in the San Diego area that some of the best in the country. How are the schools in Houston?

Old 01-13-2010, 11:18 AM

129 posts, read 460,835 times
Default Katy

We moved to Katy, west of Houston and the schools are top notch. The schools are actually what brought us to this particular suburb. I'm sure someone else can better tell you about the other great districts around Houston, but we've been very very pleased.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:51 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandFamily View Post
As parents who are concerned about our children's education, I haven't heard too much on the education system in Houston. I know that there are schools in the San Diego area that some of the best in the country. How are the schools in Houston?
Schools are great here in the good districts. We do have bad/under-performing schools, but those are generally in the lower income areas. It's that way in most parts of the US though.

We have a few great districts here. Katy, Bellaire, Woodlands, Pearland, Friendswood, Sugarland, and more. Houston has great schools, but in general, the district is average. Good schools for good areas, bad schools for bad areas.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:38 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandFamily View Post
Nice weather all year round, natural beauty, etc. .
Nice weather all year round? Sorry. Not Houston. Coming from up north you'd probably die in the summer.

Natural beauty? NOPE. Houston has none of that.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:47 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
Do you even need to ask? All of you people want to move out of the city and into the suburbs. It's obvious. Just drive out of Houston until you see neighborhoods of cookie-cutter houses and lots of white kids playing in the park and a Chili's on every corner.
Quote:
well, it IS Montrose, right? Everyone who goes there will get sodomized whether they like it or not.
Quote:
Natural beauty? NOPE. Houston has none of that.
... Just a notion, but it would probably be more helpful to everyone if you were to find a different venue for expressing such angst. Or is this an attempt at humor. Whatever it is, I suspect it's not helping the OP too much...

Old 01-14-2010, 07:57 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
No views unless you live on the bayou.
Yes... also if you lived in the Clear Lake/Bay Area or Lake Houston on the water. Or had acreage with lots of trees... there would be that "view."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston