U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 PM

913 posts, read 4,101,340 times

Advertisements

Please watch the first 1:36 minutes of the news below.

Harris County to ground EZ Tag at airports | khou.com | Local News

Is it just me or you too have noticed it? The host has a strong Asian accent. On a TV. A host.

I always thought that TV hosts and journalists have to be a role model, a fine example when it comes to an accent and pronunciation, along with other things. Being an immigrant myself, I greatly respect other immigrants. I like the Asian accent too. But I don't understand how any foreign accent can be a good example on a TV. How would it facilitate for viewers to improve their English? It would only get worse.

Is it just me? Is it just 11 News? Or Houston? Or it happens nationwide?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 10:24 PM

15,217 posts, read 28,592,456 times
Shern-Min Chow has been on TV here for only 20 years or so.

Were you expecting someone with perfect English pronunciation, like someone from East Texas or something?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:32 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,201,455 times
Wow, don't you think you're being a tad picky? Thought her pronunciation was spot on... maybe with a very slight accent.

As for your other comments... when did news anchors become the model of proper speech? If I were in a social setting and had to talk to someone who sounded like a news anchor for more than 2 minutes, I would punch myself in the face.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:38 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,147,561 times
I certainly don't find her accent "strong". She is perfectly understandable, and a strong accent would mean the opposite. And heck, English is just a language and there is by no means a definitive American accent. And I certainly don't think people need to hide behind an "unidentifiable" dialect.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:40 PM

3,566 posts, read 4,445,212 times
She's from here ( born and raised ). I've heard her talking about her folks the other day. She talked about it, talked about her parents coming here to start a business or something like that before she was even born. But when you start learning english at the age of 5 or whenever, then it might happen that you still have a slight accent.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:41 PM

5,936 posts, read 14,118,931 times
Default Expected...

Just by looks alone, I would have expected an Asian accent of some sort, or as Harry Reid might say, an Asian dialect, like President Obama's Negro dialect. Whatever.

If I see an Idian, I expect an "Indian dialect". Am I missng something here? I am more suprised when I don't hear one, than when I do. I was recently in New York, and when asked where I was from, I said Texas, and the reply was probably like yours.. "but you don't sound like you are from Texas". I don't have a Texas accent/twang/dialect. I might have to start faking one just so I don't disappoint people like the OP!

And for the record, I don't wear/own boots, hats, or those trash can sized lids of a belt buckle, and I am born and raised in Texas. On second thought, I do own boots... mud boots for when I work in my pond, do those count?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:19 PM

687 posts, read 2,016,652 times
Agree with all the responses. I definitely noticed a slight CNN accent. Can i join the jfre81 fan club?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:50 PM

913 posts, read 4,101,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
Agree with all the responses. I definitely noticed a slight CNN accent. Can i join the jfre81 fan club?
Responding to all comments above. I see your point, guys. Perhaps, it is a cultural difference taking in me. In the country I was born the TV anchors are taught to get rid of the accents and speak with a "clear", nation-wide accepted pronunciation, and not a local slang or dialect.

Second, it would sound weird to hear a non-native running the program and speaking with a distinctive "foreign" dialect. To me it is like having a French actor Gérard Depardieu with an accent hosting a general American audience at News Channel. Local cultural channel (French, Latino, whatever) is fine. But not 11 News - which is for general Americans.

I can't say I strongly oppose that. But I don't believe it helps improving the audience English skills.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:53 PM

15,217 posts, read 28,592,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behtypa View Post
In the country I was born the TV anchors are taught to get rid of the accents and speak with a "clear", nation-wide accepted pronunciation
Problem is, that doesn't exist in America. Anyone who understands English should be able to understand what she's saying, which is good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95
Can i join the jfre81 fan club?
Send a self-addressed stamped envelope to....meh, forget it. Glad to hear I'm entertaining somebody though.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:30 AM

5,936 posts, read 14,118,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behtypa View Post
Responding to all comments above. I see your point, guys. Perhaps, it is a cultural difference taking in me. In the country I was born the TV anchors are taught to get rid of the accents and speak with a "clear", nation-wide accepted pronunciation, and not a local slang or dialect.
It appears you are from a country with a caste system, or the remnants of one. We do not have that here in the US. Unless you are a Native American, you, and/or your ancestors came from some other foreign country with a foreign language and accent. Even the US has regional accents, Midwest, Northeast and Southern, Southwest, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston