Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:57 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybones View Post
Does anyone really get stopped for this. My tint is illegally dark, (purposely asked 4 it), and Ive never been stopped for this. I was stopped 4 speeding, driving without 2 license plates, but never for illegal tint. I dont think anyone really cares, most ppl have illegally dark tint anyways.
Living in Houston, its really hot in the summer. Dark tint is needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 12:21 AM

10 posts, read 37,511 times
What are you supposed to do, check the law and change the tint every time?

I don't think they really care...

Old 04-03-2010, 05:27 PM

3 posts, read 13,428 times
ok im from tx and if anyone could answer my question? well I just got pulled over for having tint window in my windshield but my vehicle in a 1979 that dose not apply in the inspection act. Title 37, Part 1, Chapter 23, & 23.42 in the State of Tx. (a) All official vehicle inspection stations that inspect passenger cars, trucks, truck tractors, and buses will inspect the sunscreening using an approved metering device on all 1988 or newer vehicles. (f)The effective date for implementation of this section will be January 1, 1994. even thou I showed the officer proof of inspection he went and gave me the ticket anyway. what sould I do?

Old 04-03-2010, 08:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
if your windows were done by a shop they must put a sticker saying it complies with state law under the film. If you question it 'then getting a DPS officer who carrry chips to compare will tell you.There use to be many that wouold do it but not put the sticker but now that involves a big fine and few will.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:50 AM
l3m

105 posts, read 291,956 times
Texas Department of Public Safety - Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/tint.htm - broken link)

Old 04-04-2010, 11:20 AM

9 posts, read 19,501 times
one note, some inspection places will tell you your tint is too dark (or too reflective) even if it isn't. i had this happen to me at my local mr. sticker...told the guy not to write anything down, i'd go to the dealer where i got the car, 'have it fixed' and come back in a few days.

instead, i went to the gas station across the street and had my car inspected, no problems and nothing said about the tint.

to be clear, my dad used to own a window tinting shop and i'm quite sure my tint is well within the legal limit. i see a lot of cars that are too dark, but no-one seems to do anything about it.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:03 AM

5 posts, read 12,560 times
I've been pulled over for tint, my rear and back window were about 20% and the front was about 35%. The cop just put his flashlight to the window and said it was illegal, I seen that coming, racist cop, he tried to get me for anything he could possibly imagine. I took the tint off and went to court and the judge just laughed for me being pulled over for tint, he dismissed it.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:55 AM

39 posts, read 86,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybones View Post
Does anyone really get stopped for this. My tint is illegally dark, (purposely asked 4 it), and Ive never been stopped for this. I was stopped 4 speeding, driving without 2 license plates, but never for illegal tint. I dont think anyone really cares, most ppl have illegally dark tint anyways.
You might not get stopped for it but they might check it when you have been stopped for something else.

My husband got a ticket for speeding and he also got ticketed for not having a front license plate and the cop checked his tint (it was legal) at the same time.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonza38 View Post
I've been pulled over for tint, my rear and back window were about 20% and the front was about 35%. The cop just put his flashlight to the window and said it was illegal, I seen that coming, racist cop, he tried to get me for anything he could possibly imagine. I took the tint off and went to court and the judge just laughed for me being pulled over for tint, he dismissed it.
Wow, thats crazy. Did you file a lawsuit?

Old 05-22-2010, 12:18 PM

All this depends on the cop. Its up to the cop if they want to cite you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston