Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 07:06 PM

61 posts, read 351,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post

The Public Transit system...Very important as I hate to drive.
Would like to find an Apartment near Univ of Houston Downtown.
How much would a one bedroom or studio run?
Blacks, Gays, Hispanics, Liberals, Republicans...blah, blah, blah, don't really care as I love all good people. Afterall, we're all trying to get through this life in one piece.

........., but gangs/ghetto/projects I want to avoid at all costs. How would you describe Southwest Houston in comparison to Motnrose/MidTown area?......

To be quite honest, public transportation is not one of Houston's high points. But I must also add that gang activity has been documented in all parts of town including our infamous high school located at River Oaks. I bet this is no different than Ca. Yet the difference between Montrose/Midtown and SW is apartment complexes. SW Houston is innudated with them whereas apartments in the Montrose are not so numerous and the ones there are well kept.

P.S Please clarify the term "ghetto". There are several definitions floating around in this forum.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:22 AM

56 posts, read 206,293 times
Default life in houston

I would say that Houston has as good a quality of life as anywhere! There is tons of culture and diversity as anywhere, except maybe NYC. The performing arts are very well represented and the parks are wonderful. To me, there is nothing better than running my dog in the evening along the buffalo bayou trail at dusk, with that skylin right there! Also, great weather year round, just like Florida, and affordible housing. The only real crime spots are southwest around fondren and bissonnette, as well as north central from crosstimbers up to greenspoint. Other than that, nice friendly people and neighborhoods. If you like the ocean, Galveston is not far at all and is alot nicer than some make it out to be. Good luck to you!

Old 05-26-2007, 08:06 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
For budget reasons, I would consider inner-loop areas that are not as "main stream" as Heights and Montrose. Although if you can find something in those areas, that's great.

Look at rentals in the near east end. There are duplexes and garage apartments in Eastwood, Broadmoor & Lawndale. There are also some nice old fourplexes overlooking the Gus Wortham Golf Course that face Lawndale over on the edge of Idylwood. That is a real good area and there is nice coffee shop and a cafeteria within walking distance. Also check out Brooke-smith and Lindale Park as alternatives to the Heights. You can find affordable garage apartments in these areas, as well sometimes small houses for rent. In general the Heights will be more affordable than Montrose. Expect Montrose to be the most expensive of these areas.

These are all generalities as you will be dealing with individual landlords in most cases. You may be able to find some rentals on Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation and craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events and classifieds for apts, jobs, for sale and personals - backpage.com But in most cases the type of places you would be happy with you will be the types where they just put a sign in the yard.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:28 AM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,278 times
Too bad the Transit system isn't good. I think that's a very important resource for most people, especially with the high cost of maintaining a vehicle, gas, insurance, decals and maintenance etc. That only adds to the fact that I hate to drive. However, here's another thought. As long as the bus/rail can get me to work/school as well as main attractions I would be happy. Can you count on Houston Public Transit? Do bus/rail run every 10 min up to at least 2am?

Ghetto: My definition would be an area of the city that's only ONE race, has very high crime statistics, graffiti and bars on windows, streets filled with trash, gangs openly hanging on the corners...Well, I'm sure you KNOW when you're in the "ghetto" .....Figure, low to moderate income areas are all over the city, they consist of many small independent stores/shops, many immigrants and culturally rich...only drawback is poverty but people aren't killing each other at random. Then you have areas like WATTS and EAST LA, BRONX in NY, ORANGE AVE in Florida. If you ever venture in to these areas you will see the meaning of "ghetto". Having said that, I want to avoid the "ghetto." What areas meet the criteria mentioned above that I should stay away from? Thanks...

Modster- "Inner loop areas" that are NOT mainstream is right up my alley. Glad you thoroughly understood my post. I'm NOT looking for a rich tourist area filled with yuppies, bars and dance clubs. Instead, I want a small bohemian artsy community, kinda like Grenwich Village NY, SilverLake/Echo Park LA.
I repeat NOTHING FANCY. Just a good mix of culture, eateries, entertainment, thrift stores on the same block/area. 2nd hand movie theaters, neighborhood pet store...well, you guys get what I mean. I want to be around real people who live "ordinary lives" as opposes to the glamor/glitz. With your help/advice I can find that community?

The other thing is being a college student you just don't have the money to go on a spending rampage. I have to deny myself things everyday, things that I love but can't afford. You just have to live within your means sometimes and find a way to survive. Of course, if you have/live in a community that's friendly and helpful people will look out for you, but I never expect nor look for it. I choose to work hard, make an honest living and be self sufficient. That's why I'm planning this carefully instead of making the BIG MISTAKE so many people make. "Move on impulse" only to end up in a foreign state with no job, no savings, no nothing. If the cost of living in Houston is as low as everyone says then I don't foresee a problem. One bedrooms in a nice community average $600-700 maximum. Studio's $ 400-500. If these figures are true and food costs 25% below the national average then I can work with that?

How's the economy looking and how well do jobs pay?
Any good areas for the business/financial sector?
How much do you need to make per yr to live comfortably in Houston?
I know in California you need at least $70k. My guess for Houston $30k-
for someone living in the "city" "no car" in a decent neighborhood?

One thing that's really been on my mind is the sprawl. How "spread out" is Houston? You should be able to walk to work, school, grocery in any big city, especially one that ranks 4th in the U.S.
The last thing I want is to relocate to a suburban environment where you need to drive everywhere and the only thing in sight are desolate streets filled with big homes and green lawns. I grew up in that and couldn't stand that lifestyle. For me, it was hell.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:40 AM

So the apartments in Southwest Houston compared to Montrose are very different huh? I'm getting the impression that Montrose district is pretty upscale with lofts/condo's? Whereas SW Houston is more moderate/average living, kinda like your in between. Then I wonder why so many people are saying that SW Houston is extremely dangerous? At least that seems to be the common thought on this board. Anyone?

Old 05-26-2007, 11:50 AM

Modster- Those areas you mentioned, which one is closest to a good community college and which college? How's the rail/buses operate around that area?
So far we have Eastwood, Broadmoor, Brooksmith and Lawndale. Wish I could see some pics of the areas to get a general feel of what they look like.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:59 AM

aggies07- I too am an avid dog lover. Being from Cali...I love the Ocean. If you ever visit California check out Santa Monica Pier in Santa Monica. The Pacific ocean just captures your soul

Seriously, California would be the best place to live if the real-estate wasn't so insane. Houses start at $600k "minimum" and the average is around $800-900k homes. The crime in Cali is overrated as all big cities have their share of crime. You just have to watch a "few neighborhoods." I grew up in the burbs and can tell you FOR A FACT that there is a lot of crime in the suburbs it just happens behind closed doors.

I will have to check out Galveston. How close is it to downtown?
Oh and for a little humor for everyone....How many Texans actually wear cowboy boots and cowboy hats?.......

Old 05-26-2007, 12:49 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Houston has a good transit system, just lacks in rail. We are going to have more rail in 2012. It starts construction this summer.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:11 PM

Hi Guerilla!

That's good to hear. At least if I decide to move to Houston I can count on getting to where I need without being "forced" in to buying a car. In time, once I learn the city, I'd feel much more comfortable with driving but still I'm a rail/bus person first.

What are some neighborhoods you'd recommend near a good community college? Would love to find an apartment studio or one bedroom for around $600. Is that reasonable/standard in Houston? Thank you.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:31 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
A bit about the history and future expansion plans of the light rail.
METRORail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can find a one-bedroom in that price range in a decent area, but you'll have to actively search. The best thing to do is come here and drive around to scope out the neighborhoods and look for signs in the yard. You'll more than likely be renting from an individual, but there are property management companies who advertise rentals this way as well. Try looking in the Greensheet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston