Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:57 AM

61 posts, read 351,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
How can you compare DFW proper? There is no DFW proper. ...

I'll go ahead and give you this to look at: USA Urbanized Areas: 2000 Ranked by Population(465 Areas)

It still shows LA larger than both Houston AND Dallas. It shouldn't be a surprise either since it is very populated. ....
If you accept the following statement, then we should agree to a stalemate on this one: STATISTICS DONT LIE, ITS THE INTERPRETOR OR THE INTERPRETATION THAT DOES.

I been to both Atlanta and D.C several times, I think you would agree that Houston is definitely larger. Not familiar with your source or its methodology, but your link shows otherwise. It even lists Houston smaller than Boston, and on par with Detroit and Miami. Though the census bureau or others may differ, I truly think these boundary definitions are subjective irregardless of the formula used (not implying that subjectivity is always bad either)

I just dont want to mislead the original poster: HOUSTON IS DEFINITELY SPREAD OUT.. And to simple state that LA and DFW are larger without offering some qualifying information may mislead someone who doesnt know about Houston.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:12 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
Have you considered North Newark, NJ or Jersey City (NYC Metro)? its connected to the fulltime rail/transit system which means people will get anywhere without a car with minimal waiting. I had a large 1bedroom apartment for $625-710 in North Newark for 10years - this section is suprisingly peaceful for Newark even tho its a block away from a lightrail station. Jersey City is just across the hudson river and a major hub for public transpo. If I schooled in the US i'd definitely duke it out in the Northeast first where living experiences and opportunities are more favorable and exciting, then choose a family oriented city like houston later

if you want houston, you need a car. my wife got sent home early from montrose area and tried to visit me downtown using bus and lightrail and it took her 1.5 hours (i think she just missed a bus) that I actually ended up picking her up at a lightrail station after work. Katrina refugees -> Beggars in every busstop - even the main rail stations going thru downtown financial district/business area has a lot of crackheads/beggars. on a hot day this is no joyride.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:21 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonman View Post
If you accept the following statement, then we should agree to a stalemate on this one: STATISTICS DONT LIE, ITS THE INTERPRETOR OR THE INTERPRETATION THAT DOES.

I been to both Atlanta and D.C several times, I think you would agree that Houston is definitely larger. Not familiar with your source or its methodology, but your link shows otherwise. It even lists Houston smaller than Boston, and on par with Detroit and Miami. Though the census bureau or others may differ, I truly think these boundary definitions are subjective irregardless of the formula used (not implying that subjectivity is always bad either)

I just dont want to mislead the original poster: HOUSTON IS DEFINITELY SPREAD OUT.. And to simple state that LA and DFW are larger without offering some qualifying information may mislead someone who doesnt know about Houston.
Urbanized areas are different than MSA's or CSA's. They don't skip over vast parcels of land.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:40 PM

107 posts, read 569,037 times
I totally disagree that you have to have a car to get around in Houston. I've lived here without one, when I was home for the summer during college. I lived right off of Westheimer and Gessner, and could get anywhere I needed on the bus from there, and did. Plus, I had a grocery and drug store, and plenty of restaurants within walking distance. There are many many people in this city that do just fine without a car . If you don't have one, you learn to adjust.

People are just used to the convenience having a car. Sure you'll do a lot of walking and/or bike riding, it'll take much longer to get where you want to go, and you'll sweat like crazy during the summer months while standing outside waiting for a bus. But that doesn't mean you need a car.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:06 PM

48 posts, read 267,511 times
I've seen a few posts about neighborhoods close to U of H and Eastwood, rentals, etc. Just so you know.......there are LOTS of 500-ish square foot rentals in Eastwood very convenient to UH (and DT and the medical center/rice area via Metro). They do not, however, look anything like the homes in those pictures. Those homes are beautiful examples but they start at over $200,000, are not typical of the neighborhood in terms of restoration and maintenance, and are definitely not rentals. For 500-600 you can get a garage apt or 1 beroodm in a duplex or fourplex. It's a great neighborhood, but don't go expecting your fourplex with window units to look like that...

Old 05-29-2007, 02:49 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,003 times
I don't know the "exact details" as to the sprawl of LA compared to Houston. LA has a population that doubles Houston's. The question would be the percentage of people that occupy a particular distance/square mile. It would be awful if Houston is MORE sprawled out than LA. But LA has a solid public transit system as well as the rest of California, so you never worry about being stranded, especially in San Diego or San Francisco.

Nanner- Thank you so much..You're easing my stress with this NEED to have a car. I'm shocked that Houston hasn't developed their rail years ago given the size of the city and all the business commuters. Surely, everyone doesn't live in the burbrs, do they?

Guerilla assured me that Houston Metro Transit is EXCELLENT and will take me anywhere I need to go. That's important so you don't get stranded and all.
Anyhow, I don't see myself going out to Sugar Land or Katy. Mainly, I just want access to the schools, entertainment, cultural attractions and most importantly small little neighborhoods of different cultures. I'm very simple person.

Grifsmom-Thank you. Where is Eastwood exactly in proximity to Univ of Houston college downtown?

It sounds like Univ of Houston is a ways out and that Rice is closer. I figure if I move to Texas I want to have my school in close proximity to my work. So yeah, commute is a very important factor in this picture. As far as apartments go- I don't need much as mentioned before. All I ask is for 500-600 sq ft of space, fridge, over, "if you can include utilities" you'll really make my day..
As long as it's not "upscale" snobbish community I'll be happy. Oh and don't forget the grocery store as I need to eat!

Speaking of Libraries, I really enjoy them a lot and was wondering how many Houston has and where is the Central or Main library located in proximity to the college downtown and the neighborhood you suggested?

Old 05-29-2007, 03:37 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner View Post
I totally disagree that you have to have a car to get around in Houston. I've lived here without one, when I was home for the summer during college. I lived right off of Westheimer and Gessner, and could get anywhere I needed on the bus from there, and did. Plus, I had a grocery and drug store, and plenty of restaurants within walking distance. There are many many people in this city that do just fine without a car . If you don't have one, you learn to adjust.

People are just used to the convenience having a car. Sure you'll do a lot of walking and/or bike riding, it'll take much longer to get where you want to go, and you'll sweat like crazy during the summer months while standing outside waiting for a bus. But that doesn't mean you need a car.
Hey I live around this area now and I feel bad for all these people walking north-southward from westheimer. many times they are wearing some outfit from work or something good for church (i think they missed the bus too or just no service n-s). Well we had a whole weekend of downpour plus houstons great broken streets and puddles so these people arent looking as 'great as usual'
you dont need a car, friends, relatives, clean food, doctors and formal schooling etc - theyre all unnecessary. yeah keep the Supernova7's hopes up

Old 05-29-2007, 05:03 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Yeah, I wouldn't want to live here without a car, but I have known people who have done it successfully. They've mostly been students living in the Montrose, the East End, Museum District, etc. It IS possible.

I live near downtown and have rarely left the Loop for any reason except to drive out of town to see family. I really don't know much about life beyond it, to be honest. When a friend of mine moved out to Alief years ago, I visited her maybe twice for the entire three years she lived there. I finally convinced her to move closer in. Now that she lives in Fourth Ward/Midtown I see her all the time. It's quite possible to cut out a little slice of Houston and avoid the rest. In fact, I think that's pretty much what most people do, to a certain extent.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:56 AM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,003 times
I think you're right. You don't need to know the entire city to find a small little enclave to call home. Sure once in a while you'll want to venture out and see things you ordinarily wouldn't see but for the most part you'll be repeating the routine of life in your community. I'm leaning towards the "East End" more than the Montrose district. It seems that it would be a better fit as to what I'm looking for.

I think I can make it without a car but really hope the city invests in its public transit system.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:44 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,559,676 times
Maybe once and for all I can clarify, I think some of the post regarding transportation is misleading, including mine. Yes, one does not need a vehicle to survive in Houston. Yes, it is possible to be without one, but it is recommended. Why is it recommended? Let's just put it this way, the level of discomfort/comfort one experiences without a vehicle in Houston and say places like SF, Portland or Seattle is not going to be the same. I don't want ppl like nova to think, oh, you don't need a vehicle in SF just like you don't need a vehicle in Houston, and therefore it won't be so bad. The level of adjustment you will have to make in Houston without a car is going be higher and more uncomfortable than in many other cities. But it is possible, yes. Also, we finally see some light with rail, but the expansion won't be in place for next few years, so until its here, I wouldn't put emphasis on it which might mislead those who are planning to come here now.

Granted comfort is very subjective but that was my experience. When I first came here. I lived in downtown for a while, my car rental was up after 2 weeks, and I haven't brought vehicle yet, so I had to survive for about three weeks without one. It is possible, but the kind of heavy rains and heat here is not fun, and the buses seem to take forever and every place is like so damn far. Lucky I still had someone take me around once in a while during that time.

Last edited by person; 05-30-2007 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston