Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:50 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
I don't see any of that happening in most of those location.

And the Richmond line turning into the Westpark line. I guess they want it to go to the Westpark Transit center so people can park their cars and ride?

Also, does anyone know how late these trains will be running? Wasn't one of the biggest gripes about not being able to party or something and ride home on the rail? I guess we should take it one step at a time.
I thought the rails ran till about 2AM but that's just based on what I thought I heard. If it was true, I would imagine they ran like every 15 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 10:19 AM

867 posts, read 2,977,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I thought the rails ran till about 2AM but that's just based on what I thought I heard. If it was true, I would imagine they ran like every 15 minutes.
The Rail at night runs about every 20 mins...during the day, it's around 6. It depends on weekday/weekend, night/day, rush hour, special events, (i.e. Rodeo), etc. There are specific time-periods on Metro web-site.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:43 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Is parts of the University line going to be underground??(I think I heard this, but I haven't really looked at the new map yet). I noticed looking through the engineering drawings; it stated "rail runs underneath structure". It had rail passing under through the UH stadium parking lot and "under" parts of Scott and Elgin.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Is parts of the University line going to be underground??(I think I heard this, but I haven't really looked at the new map yet). I noticed looking through the engineering drawings; it stated "rail runs underneath structure". It had rail passing under through the UH stadium parking lot and "under" parts of Scott and Elgin.
I'm pretty sure it's all either supposed to be elevated or at-grade.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:41 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,928 times
I hope the train runs until 2. Going out won't be so bad. If you live on the rail line anyway.

I also thought most rail was suppose to be a ground level. If it isn't it will only be so it won't disturb traffic to much, like the one over in the Medical Center that goes under Fannin.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:57 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
The stretch of the Red Line going through TMC is really the only part that needed to be grade separated. Elsewhere it's just like other LRT systems in this country. Baltimore has street level rail. Dallas has street level rail. The cable cars of San Francisco run right in the middle of streets with no barrier whatsoever separating them from automobile traffic.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:46 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The stretch of the Red Line going through TMC is really the only part that needed to be grade separated. Elsewhere it's just like other LRT systems in this country. Baltimore has street level rail. Dallas has street level rail. The cable cars of San Francisco run right in the middle of streets with no barrier whatsoever separating them from automobile traffic.
Yeah, I think someone brought that up in a article I posted. So I was like "C'mon Houston get it together"! I guess that's just what happens when you live in a city where people don't really have a concept of public transportation and have actively been taking steps backwards.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:01 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
I hope the train runs until 2. Going out won't be so bad. If you live on the rail line anyway.

I also thought most rail was suppose to be a ground level. If it isn't it will only be so it won't disturb traffic to much, like the one over in the Medical Center that goes under Fannin.
They run until 2 every day? If so, wow. That's even better than DC. Maybe extend it to 3 on weekends.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
When I ride the Rail (once every 3 or 4 months when I'm in town) I always check the Wheeler station to see if there is any new construction. That's where the Red Line and the University Line are supposed to intersect. Last time I saw when I was in the area, I saw no signs of new construction.
If you don't mind me asking, when was the last time you were in the area. I would really like to see pics of progress.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If you don't mind me asking, when was the last time you were in the area. I would really like to see pics of progress.
Christmastime. I will be there again Feb. 5-6th. There's absolutely no signs of any construction last time I saw and the last time I rode the rail was maybe 3 weeks ago tops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston