Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 02:39 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
But we know how not to contract AIDS. Its not like one catches AIDS by taking someone's sneeze or something.
Yeah...an earthquake strikes & people are sneezing from a cold...get real dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 02:41 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You know, I repped you a few posts back on another thread. I wish C-D had a dislike button.
Why so petty, haha? I will still rep you when you say something smart and non-biased. Calm down young Jedi. Don't make it so easy for the Dark Side of the Force.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:46 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
Matt, your post did not adequately address my reply.

My reply is saying that one shouldn't be concerned with allowing people who may have AIDS into the United States. AIDS can only be contracted by sex, sharing needles, or bad blood transfusions, so most people shouldn't worry about people with AIDS coming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Yeah...an earthquake strikes & people are sneezing from a cold...get real dude.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:49 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times
Hey Matt don't take it personal, I understand your position, I just think it should be applied across the board......not just Haiti

we can agree to disagree, no big deal

Old 01-23-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Matt, your post did not adequately address my reply.

My reply is saying that one shouldn't be concerned with allowing people who may have AIDS into the United States. AIDS can only be contracted by sex, sharing needles, or bad blood transfusions, so most people shouldn't worry about people with AIDS coming in.
How many of those people do you think are getting bad blood transfusions from the very low supply they have on hand right now? I don't think any of the hospitals there anticipated or were even readily prepared for such a horrible catastrophe.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Hey Matt don't take it personal, I understand your position, I just think it should be applied across the board......not just Haiti

we can agree to disagree, no big deal
I will do my part by donating old clothes to the Red Cross, but I don't agree with a whole country being granted mass exodus into the US. As I said previously, we're doing good right now just to help our own people in these turbulent economic times.

You have to understand, Haiti is a country that doesn't really know who they are, as they have been occupied by many other countries in the past & were just recently on the verge of rebuilding an impoversished nation after hundreds of years of squalor. It would be irresponsible to stay there longer than necessary, or force them to come here & adapt to our own ways of living. They are a predominately Catholic country, which BTW I am also. I pray God will help those poor people.

End of conversation.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-23-2010 at 03:13 PM..

Old 01-23-2010, 03:09 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymbd View Post
I wonder if these comments would be made if this eathquake happened in ...let's say a poor, third world europian country?

There's no 3rd world in Europe It's "european", not "europian".

Quote:
Answer: NO!
Yeah right. You've never been to the politics section, have you?

BTW. LBJ can't take any more illegals ( in reference to USC619 sanctuary city comment). Lots of Americans are not getting the help they need there. Not sure about Ben Taub, but it's probably the same there.
Show me one city that wants a bunch of uneducated people? It is just what it is. Many of them probably don't even have a High School Diploma. This has nothing to do with Haiti itself. This city got enough of people take care of.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Show me one city that wants a bunch of uneducated people?
LOL you're living in one

Old 01-23-2010, 03:20 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Quote:
LOL you're living in one
Might be.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Might be.
42 Houston-area schools 'dropout factories' | Front page | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/08/us/state-to-monitor-houston-schools-to-ensure-reporting-of-dropouts.html?fta=y (broken link)

"Houston came under fire after Sharpstown High falsely reported to district and state officials that none of its students dropped out last year. An ensuing state audit of 16 Houston schools found that some 3,000 of 5,500 students who left school in the 2000-2001 school year, or 54 percent, should have been reported as dropouts, but were not. That year, the 212,000-student Houston system reported a dropout rate of 1.5 percent."

I think it's safe to say none of these folks are walking around today with a Rice degree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: