Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 04:53 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Lets just see how the Obama administration handles this. George W. was called a racist because he didn't act swiftly enough to New Orleans during Katrina. Hell, Galveston practically got no help at all. Haiti isn't even a US possession.
No one talks about flooding in the midwest, because they didnt start shooting each other or at the police/rescue agencies. Same for Galveston and East Texas SW Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 05:09 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
No one talks about flooding in the midwest, because they didnt start shooting each other or at the police/rescue agencies. Same for Galveston and East Texas SW Louisiana.
Aside from natural disaster you can't even compare the two.....I don't even want to start with the Casualties

Last edited by usc619; 01-23-2010 at 05:25 PM..

Old 01-23-2010, 05:28 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Aside from natural disaster you can't even compare the two.....I don't even want to start with the Casualties
Why can't you? Texas absorbed 300,000 refugees during & years after Hurricane Katrina garnering even more proof Houston simply could not handle another mass exodus of another country, much less a fraction of it. Now if we're talking several hundred people then fine, I can see that, but thousands or millions, no way.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:39 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,362 times
Quote:
I don't. With them they will bring more poverty & disease. Does Houston really want or need that? I feel sorry for those people, but we're doing good just to help our own citizens in this country right now.
I wonder if you tested 2000 random men from Tyler,Tx and 2000 Haitian children which group would have more health problems and disease...

Old 01-23-2010, 07:14 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
Quote:
Its a well known fact AIDS is more prevalent in that part of the world than in Mexico.

AIDS Virus Traveled to Haiti, Then U.S., Study Says

Care to donate monetarily, or better yet adopt one of those children?

After The Earthquake: Battling HIV And AIDS In Haiti | The AIDS Beacon
Unfortunately Matt can not help but share some heroin and then have unprotected sex with any refugees that he meets which is why this is such a concern to him.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:45 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
Within Haiti people may be possibly getting bad blood transfusions, but I was referring to, say, HIV positive people coming to the United States, where the blood donation agencies and hospitals test and check blood samples like hawks.

Quote:
How many of those people do you think are getting bad blood transfusions from the very low supply they have on hand right now? I don't think any of the hospitals there anticipated or were even readily prepared for such a horrible catastrophe.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:02 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,266 times
Quote:
How many of those people do you think are getting bad blood transfusions from the very low supply they have on hand right now? I don't think any of the hospitals there anticipated or were even readily prepared for such a horrible catastrophe.

The AIDS virus is Already High in The USA along with many other viruses and sicknesses. So It really wouldnt make a difference. With the mindset you have I pray that this doesnt happen or any other tragic accidents because maybe then you would feel the pain and agony of what these people are going through and have a more remorsful spirit. Its about Humanity. Those could have been some of you relatives and what if they denied them from letting bring them over.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:10 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
The AIDS argument makes me question the lifestyle of Mr. "Metro," but this is a good point:

Quote:
Why can't you? Texas absorbed 300,000 refugees during & years after Hurricane Katrina garnering even more proof Houston simply could not handle another mass exodus of another country, much less a fraction of it.
Not to mention another post-Katrina-like spike in crime you can count on.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:39 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
42 Houston-area schools 'dropout factories' | Front page | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

State to Monitor Houston Schools To Ensure Reporting of Dropouts - NYTimes.com (http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/08/us/state-to-monitor-houston-schools-to-ensure-reporting-of-dropouts.html?fta=y - broken link)

"Houston came under fire after Sharpstown High falsely reported to district and state officials that none of its students dropped out last year. An ensuing state audit of 16 Houston schools found that some 3,000 of 5,500 students who left school in the 2000-2001 school year, or 54 percent, should have been reported as dropouts, but were not. That year, the 212,000-student Houston system reported a dropout rate of 1.5 percent."

I think it's safe to say none of these folks are walking around today with a Rice degree
But wouldn't it be great if there were one that was? A dropout who got a GED - then went on to earn top honors somewhere after he/she got their life together. Would be great if research were there to show what has happened to some of the dropouts.

The people of Haiti need help in the most urgent of ways but I think that help should come from infrastructure and introducing ways for them to sustain a living -- I would hate to see the city of Hou take on thousands of people that the city is then responsible for housing and supporting .... I honestly don't think the city or it's services could handle the load....they seem to be maxed out. Plus I think only about 50% of people would have the welcome mat out this time (once burned) and that would make it very difficult for people who came here as well and create tensions.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:07 PM

69 posts, read 246,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
There's no 3rd world in Europe It's "european", not "europian".

Yeah right. You've never been to the politics section, have you?

BTW. LBJ can't take any more illegals ( in reference to USC619 sanctuary city comment). Lots of Americans are not getting the help they need there. Not sure about Ben Taub, but it's probably the same there.
Show me one city that wants a bunch of uneducated people? It is just what it is. Many of them probably don't even have a High School Diploma. This has nothing to do with Haiti itself. This city got enough of people take care of.
Oh FORGIVE me for not using spell check and I was being facetious Learn to recongize it before attempting to call people out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: