Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 12:03 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,278 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how many people here are Houston natives and still residing in Houston and how many have moved to this city. How long have you been in Houston and what made you stay or move to this city? How has your life changed and what benefits has Houston offered you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 12:26 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
I was wondering how many people here are Houston natives and still residing in Houston and how many have moved to this city. How long have you been in Houston and what made you stay or move to this city? How has your life changed and what benefits has Houston offered you?
I'm a native Texan, I've been in Houston 31 years. I came for a job and to experience life in the big city. The best benefit I got from Houston was finding my husband. Houston is full of great places to shop and eat. However I now cannot wait to get out of here. I hate the heat and humidity we have and life in the big city is no longer fun.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:34 PM

Congratulations on meeting your husband! That's a very beautiful thing indeed. I lived in big cities the majority of my life and love it. I can't stand the suburbs but love beautiful praries,wildlife, mountains etc., Only reason I won't live in such areas is due to lack of resources outside your front door. Urban life is good if you're in the right city. Is the heat THAT BAD? How do you guys breathe and work without having your clothing "stick to your skin"?

Are energy costs high in Houston?

Old 05-26-2007, 03:17 PM

108 posts, read 484,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I'm a native Texan, I've been in Houston 31 years. I came for a job and to experience life in the big city. The best benefit I got from Houston was finding my husband. Houston is full of great places to shop and eat. However I now cannot wait to get out of here. I hate the heat and humidity we have and life in the big city is no longer fun.
babe is that you? just kidding. Native Texan here (32yo) I grew up in Corpus and moved to Houston in '99. Within 2 months of being here I met my wife of 3 years. Heat & humidity is not an issue with me but we are leaving soon. I came here for money and I am burn out all ready. The people and traffic have gotten old real quick. We are headed west, more than likely a 'burb of San Antonio. We will take a pay cut but it is worth it. If you are looking for money there is plenty to be had in this town, you just have to decide if it is worth it to you.

That being said, I am not knocking the town. It has so much to offer but it is a fast paced life. I have done it for 8 years and it is not worth to me. There is more to life than sitting in traffic on I-10 5 days a week.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:22 PM

108 posts, read 484,705 times
Quote:
How do you guys breathe and work without having your clothing "stick to your skin"?
lol, I take my lunch everyday just for that reason. You will be able to recognize the people who go out for lunch during the summer. They come back to the office smelling "outdoorsy" not BO but you can tell they got a fine layer of sweat on them during their lunch travels It's a way of life though, no big deal.

Depending on how long your driveway is or your walk to your car in the AM you will have sweat beads at 6am during the summer

Old 05-26-2007, 03:22 PM

212 posts, read 1,273,299 times
Both my wife and myself are from Katy, and lived within 15 miles of the same spot all our life. Jobs and family keep us around.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Is the heat THAT BAD? How do you guys breathe and work without having your clothing "stick to your skin"?

Are energy costs high in Houston?
YES!! It is THAT BAD and worse You can't keep your clothes from sticking to you, and forget about breathing. We just go into a survival mode. The weather is one of the main reasons we want to move.

Almost forgot, electric bills can be high in summer, we're on balanced billing and that helps some.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:33 PM

832 posts, read 3,853,682 times
Its not that really that bad. People tend to overcomplain about the weather.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBranch View Post
Its not that really that bad. People tend to overcomplain about the weather.
Do you live in Houston

Old 05-26-2007, 06:28 PM

I'm debating between Houston and Portland. I think I ruled out Atlanta and Phoenix. Many people suggest Austin but I don't think I'd be happy there. I am a college student but I'm NOT in to the whole suburban college party scene.
I like a very laid back cosmopolitan city with everything you need in walking distance.

You guys have so many good points. Let's face it if Cali didn't have the enormous rents. If NY wasn't as crowded and expensive. If Chicago didn't have the strong winds and cold weather then everyone would be living in these cities. The only people that wouldn't are those that have a deep love and attraction to the "country" but even then, you can find that in those states outside the city perimeters.

I don't know something tells me that Houston or Portland is my calling. Don't get the same feel for Austin, though I'm sure it's beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston