Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:08 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
people from new orleans arent really from another country
*crickets*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 11:53 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,445,361 times
Cypress, Klein, Champions, Tomball and the Northwest suburbs outside of Houston have more of a native born Texas population than many other parts of town. Whereas, you'll find that the larger, canned master-planned communities draw in more out-of-state relocations.

Houston overall is probably the least "Texan" of the major Texas metros as it definitely has more of an international flavor. That's not to say it doesn't exist, it's just not as dominant in the culture as it is elsewhere in the state.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:44 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,996,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
*crickets*
you mean *crawfish*

Old 01-25-2010, 03:04 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
you mean *crawfish*
No I mean *frogs*

Old 01-25-2010, 03:09 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Ever notice how a once-intelligent conversation turns into something considerably less thought provoking once Wizzywig gets involved? Me too.

Anyway, I'm a native Texan living in Houston proper, so there's at least a few of us.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:45 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Ever notice how a once-intelligent conversation turns into something considerably less thought provoking once Wizzywig gets involved? Me too.

Anyway, I'm a native Texan living in Houston proper, so there's at least a few of us.
What are you saying? Wyzzi is in the Army now?

Old 01-25-2010, 03:49 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

Yes, I have noticed. He has been doing it for the past week or so. But, it's still pretty close to what his "serious" responses are. They mostly make no since.

I have actually become quite happy when I actually meet someone else who was a Native. I don't know why either, haha. It's just like, "You know the city too?!"

But I'm not one of these people saying they don't like "Outsiders". I like that there are different people coming from other places. Especially the women! I was so glad, because those women made some of the Houston women step their game up in the looks department. Trust me, I actually noticed the change.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:49 PM

491 posts, read 1,261,450 times
The whole thing about native Houstonians is interesting. I'm a native in my mid-50's. There aren't many of us that old born in Houston.

When I was in elementary and Jr. High in the 60's and 70's, I went to school with a lot of natives. However, almost none of our parents were native Houstonians. A fair number were from Louisiana, like my mother. Some came from Arkansas and Oklahoma, some came from East Texas. Some came from the north after WWII.

It's always been that way in Houston. Each generation has a lot of people coming from other places who have kids born in Houston, but it still seems like people from other places are the majority.

It's why the culture is never going to be like the stereotypes that the other parts of the country think of as Texas and now it is internationally diverse as well.

I would still take it over small-town Texas with the "Your not from around here attitude."

Old 01-25-2010, 03:55 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Something like a third of NYC's population was born outside the United States so it's not like it's that uncommon for large cities to have a lot of transients.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:23 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
When I was in elementary and Jr. High in the 60's and 70's, I went to school with a lot of natives. However, almost none of our parents were native Houstonians. A fair number were from Louisiana, like my mother. Some came from Arkansas and Oklahoma, some came from East Texas. Some came from the north after WWII.

That's how it was here in the '80s and '90s. Parents were from those places, as well as mine from South Texas/Rio Grande Valley.

I had my high school reunion in '06 and the vast majority of my friends went off to college but came back home and put down some roots. I have neighbors who grew up in the area and never left.

Long-term natives since childhood nowadays really aren't too hard to find, at least in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston