Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:59 AM

241 posts, read 585,652 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Thanks in large part to the advice and recommendations on this board, I moved into Cinco Ranch in Katy and love it. However, I'm having a problem.

When we bought our house it was summer, and because of the leafy trees in the backyard couldn't see that the Ashley House apartments on Mason Road are right behind us. We've now noticed this and haven't heard a peep except for one resident.

This resident has a beagle that is out on the patio all day long and intermittently howls at the top of its lungs. We hear loud howling going on for minutes at a time starting anywhere from 6am-6:30am and then off and on all day until after 10pm. It is loud enough to wake us up in our bedroom and in fact just did so this morning.

My husband talked to the manager and she and he walked around to the apartment and saw the howling dog on the patio (in fact, it started howling as they approached). Apparently she talked to the resident and this is only a "temporary" arrangement--however, it's been going on since late October.

When it didn't stop we went back again and suggested using a bark collar or one of those devices that emits a noise only dogs can hear (and don't like) and were not really taken seriously by the same manager who acted like we were out of line to even suggest it. We've talked to the neighbors and they are disturbed as well.

Nothing has changed, and I'm at the end of my rope. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 06:12 AM

430 posts, read 1,256,720 times
I would make one more visit to the apartments and tell the manager (or owner if you can find him/her) that you'll be calling Animal Control if something isn't done. It borders on abuse to leave a dog alone out on a patio for 16 hours a day, especially in this cold weather. I'd be howling, too!

Old 01-27-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCatherine View Post
I would make one more visit to the apartments and tell the manager (or owner if you can find him/her) that you'll be calling Animal Control if something isn't done. It borders on abuse to leave a dog alone out on a patio for 16 hours a day, especially in this cold weather. I'd be howling, too!
Thank you. I completely agree and should have mentioned that I feel very sorry for the dog being on the patio. It is literally stuck on the patio all day long!

Really, I don't blame the dog but the irresponsible people.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:13 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
You should stop "visiting" the manager and start notifying this person, and their bosses and any owners in writing. Send the letters CRRR and keep a copy. Once they realize you are starting a legal trail, they will pay more attention. When you visit it only becomes a he/said she said. Also keep a log and make some videotapes if possible.
BTW Animal Control is unlikely to do anything. They enforce state law and there are no state laws regarding noise except from cars.
You may get with your neighbors and talk to your HOA and see if anything can be done that way as well.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:29 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
No doubt, Beagles are howlers and he is just doing what Beagles do. A bark collar is not going to help. I'm glad you realize it is the owner at fault here.
There has to be a noise ordinance in the neighborhood...ie blaring music, loud parties, barking dogs. I'd look into your city ordinances and go from there. I bet your city has a website with all of that listed and who to contact. Mine does. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:46 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
She is in the county if I am not mistaken. Means no ordinances.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:02 AM

105 posts, read 265,373 times
Hassle the manager until they get off their tail.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:06 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,626 times
The Houston Beagle & Hound Rescue may be able to help you help the dog.

Houston Beagle and Hound Rescue, Inc.

Poor Snoopy. He's miserable. And so is everyone else!

Old 01-27-2010, 08:07 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Unfortunately, the poor dog is the one who is going to suffer. But I fully understand your dilemma.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:23 AM

Thank you everyone!

It's clear the dog is miserable, and I feel terrible for it. I've wondered if there is a beagle rescue that could step in and do something for the dog. Thanks for the referral!

At the same time, we humans living near this beagle are all miserable too. Thanks for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston