Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 06:34 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,075 times

Advertisements

Can you give me some info on zip code 77054 and Ardmore St.? I checked in to a few apartments but don't know this area. Is it safe? Close to community college/public transport? What's the tone of the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 07:22 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
You don't want to live there. It's not at all what you're looking for.

While a car is a plus in Houston, you can survive without one if you choose where to live carefully. From reading your other posts, I think the Montrose fits what you're looking for best. It's changed a lot in the past 10-15 years, it's been gentrified like many other neighborhoods across the country, but it's walkable, there's food (restaurants and supermarkets), music, entertainment within walking distance, and you can still find deals there. Our rail is in progress, but the bus runs pretty much everywhere. The 82 runs the length of Westheimer 24 hours a day, I think, and you can get to HCC-Central or UHD quite easily from there.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:53 PM

You are a blessing. Thank you for that info. What's that are like in your opinion?
The 77054 Zip / Ardmore St? Montrose is one option but 2 other people from Houston feel that it's to "upscale" "pretentious" and "trendy??" I like the idea of being close to the college and really don't want to get a car.

How would you compare the areas of Univ of Houston to Rice Univ?
I'm leaning more to Univ of Houston. Really want a nice cultural mix without a bunch of stuck-up people...lol

Old 05-27-2007, 03:12 AM

That looks like it's near the Star of Hope, a homeless shelter. You don't want to live there, trust me on this. It's way out of the way, too close to the freeway, you would definitely need a car, and it's in a really, really iffy area. I'm confident you can find something in your price range in a more suitable neighborhood.

Rice University is very close, like, across the street, from the Medical Center, Museum District, and Hermann Park, and close to Rice Village. If you lived there you could take the rail downtown. There's a very popular jogging trail circling the university and another at Hermann Park. West University is an affluent neighborhood. Mostly residential and upper-crust. If you rented there in your price range it would likely be a garage apartment. I've had friends who lived in garage apartments there years ago. I have no idea what they paid in rent. The area is not artsy or bohemian. But it's very walkable and I'm pretty sure there's a bus running along Kirby nearby. You've got a Half Price Books in the Village, and many boutiques and shops, bars, and restaurants in the area. There's a Randall's and a Rice Epicurean grocery store, along with a Barnes and Noble bookstore a short bus ride away going one direction on Kirby, and in the opposite direction you'd be at a Whole Foods, which is across from a Borders Book Store, and near one of our two House of Pies (this one is the best).

I have to be honest though, without a car in Houston you will feel like the odd duck out. You'll miss out on a lot and have a very narrow view of the city. It's doable for a while, but I wouldn't recommend it long-term. It's just not that kind of town. In that regard, you may be better off in Portland.

As for the University of Houston (or did you mean the University of Houston-Downtown?), the East End and neighborhoods modster pointed you to earlier would be a better fit for your budget and proximity to the university, but still these aren't areas you want to live in without a car. In case you haven't figured it out by now, for what you require of a neighborhood and your price range your choices in Houston are going to be extremely limited without a car.

BTW, I'm really distressed that I wrote "dormant" when I meant "vacant" earlier. I need to go to sleep.

Last edited by houstoner; 05-27-2007 at 04:12 AM..

Old 05-27-2007, 11:22 AM

Good morning. Thanks for the info about that area. Living in an "iffy" area wouldn't be "top priority"...lol According to several people here they say that you can easily live in Houston without a car, especially if you're living outside the suburbs, which I certainly plan on doing. Hope the rail system improves as I'm targeting the transition at the end of this year. The Rice Univ. area sounds nice but don't think it would be a good fit for what I'm seeking. You know, the Artsy/Bohemian/Student/Immigrant environment. Those are always good areas for college students who appreciate the "little things" in life.

The East End neighborhoods sound really good and appear to be a better fir for what I'm seeking. I just want to find the "right neighborhood" where I will feel comfortable. I enjoy a nice brisk walk, cycling, roller blading in the morning. Then grab some coffee w/people at a small cafe' NOT the Starbuck's but something small and independent. I really love anything that's "independent" whether it's movies, art galleries or music outlets...Which area has a lot of thrift stores and knick knacks on the "East End"?

One great thing is the rail/bus is right there and the Univ of Houston Downtown is walking distance. I really don't need much more than that. Once I transfer to Univ of Houston...How far would I have to travel from the downtown college? Hopefully they're not too far apart.

You're views have been helpful. I'm going to take everyone's input under consideration. I am also considering Portland and hope to get some good insight from those that live there. So far, Portland offers more beauty, greenery/nature, scenery, excellent rail/bus. Houston on the other hand has the cost of living advantage, richer culture and diversity and excellent employment market. It's a hard decision for sure. If Cali or NY had the housing or apartment rentals equivalent to Houston I would never move, wow that would be utopia.

I think with good research and planning and advice from people here I will be able to make a smart decision.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:22 PM

You're certainly gathering enough info! Very smart, that. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Old 05-27-2007, 12:53 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Good morning. Thanks for the info about that area. Living in an "iffy" area wouldn't be "top priority"...lol According to several people here they say that you can easily live in Houston without a car, especially if you're living outside the suburbs, which I certainly plan on doing. Hope the rail system improves as I'm targeting the transition at the end of this year. The Rice Univ. area sounds nice but don't think it would be a good fit for what I'm seeking. You know, the Artsy/Bohemian/Student/Immigrant environment. Those are always good areas for college students who appreciate the "little things" in life.

The East End neighborhoods sound really good and appear to be a better fir for what I'm seeking. I just want to find the "right neighborhood" where I will feel comfortable. I enjoy a nice brisk walk, cycling, roller blading in the morning. Then grab some coffee w/people at a small cafe' NOT the Starbuck's but something small and independent. I really love anything that's "independent" whether it's movies, art galleries or music outlets...Which area has a lot of thrift stores and knick knacks on the "East End"?

One great thing is the rail/bus is right there and the Univ of Houston Downtown is walking distance. I really don't need much more than that. Once I transfer to Univ of Houston...How far would I have to travel from the downtown college? Hopefully they're not too far apart.

You're views have been helpful. I'm going to take everyone's input under consideration. I am also considering Portland and hope to get some good insight from those that live there. So far, Portland offers more beauty, greenery/nature, scenery, excellent rail/bus. Houston on the other hand has the cost of living advantage, richer culture and diversity and excellent employment market. It's a hard decision for sure. If Cali or NY had the housing or apartment rentals equivalent to Houston I would never move, wow that would be utopia.

I think with good research and planning and advice from people here I will be able to make a smart decision.
One thing you might find interesting is that Houston and Portland are the same (as far as density goes).

Old 05-27-2007, 11:05 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,171 times
UH Downtown and U of H are 2 different schools. The downtown campus is mainly for people who work in the day and go part time at night. The rail does go by the downtown campus, but not by the main campus. It also goes by Rice.

The "east side" by the U of H main campus is basically by the Gulf Freeway. There are some nice older homes out there, but the majority is an urban black area. There's a lot of good soul food restaurants, but I don't know if I'd call it bohemian. Someone who's gone to school there might be able to point out a good place to live, but for transportation, you'd be relying on a bus. Rail will come out there eventually, but I think it's a few years off.

On the other hand with Rice, you could use the rail line. It would take you from the Rice area to Downtown. When I drive by there I see a lot of jogging and cycling going on.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:30 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,832,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
UH Downtown and U of H are 2 different schools. The downtown campus is mainly for people who work in the day and go part time at night. The rail does go by the downtown campus, but not by the main campus. It also goes by Rice.

The "east side" by the U of H main campus is basically by the Gulf Freeway. There are some nice older homes out there, but the majority is an urban black area. There's a lot of good soul food restaurants, but I don't know if I'd call it bohemian. Someone who's gone to school there might be able to point out a good place to live, but for transportation, you'd be relying on a bus. Rail will come out there eventually, but I think it's a few years off.

On the other hand with Rice, you could use the rail line. It would take you from the Rice area to Downtown. When I drive by there I see a lot of jogging and cycling going on.
The main issue with the Rice area is price. Finding a $600 a month apartment would be a challenge.
The east end is made up of a multitude of different neighborhoods, each with its own character. I would definitely say the Eastwood/Broadmoor area is getting more and more Bohemian. After all, most Bohemians have been priced out of Montrose and Heights! Idylwood is more yuppie. Glenbrook is mix and is becoming filled with more urban and bohemian types. I think the area you are thinking of is Riverside Terrace, along Macgregor, which has long been considered predominantly an enclave of wealthy African-Americans.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:49 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,171 times
I'm no expert on the U of H area. I worked out there for a few weeks once, but I'm rarely out there. There definitely are nice, older homes in the area. He may find something he really likes out there, but no rail for another few years. It sounds to me like he'd be at home in The Heights, but like you say he might need more than 600.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston