Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:06 PM

23 posts, read 43,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy mickle View Post
It's as safe here as any. They do speak a lot of Spanish here, there are a lot of Hispanics here. If you're coming from up North, you will notice a difference as I did. No, it's not like Mexico city although I do occasionally get a whiff of something in the water....There's tons of people here that don't know & don't care to learn spanish & get along just fine. Come on down, the weather's great, jobs are good and there's plenty of room.
Thankyou very much for your encouraging post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 03:26 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,903,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden1978 View Post
Karuna95 i find your post rather rude! Can i please just get this straight right now! As i have said in my original post i have NO problem with diversity or different beliefs WHATSOEVER!! We are a interracial family i'm black my husband is white! Yes we live in oregon and believe or not oregon is diverse also, maybe not as diverse as houston but it's still diverse!

Then why on earth would you post something like your original post? If you have no objection to diversity, why would you object to an area with a lot of spanish-speaking individuals?

In any event, welcome to Houston. I hope you like it here. We do.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Then why on earth would you post something like your original post? If you have no objection to diversity, why would you object to an area with a lot of spanish-speaking individuals?

In any event, welcome to Houston. I hope you like it here. We do.
Thankyou

Old 01-29-2010, 04:30 PM

7 posts, read 9,604 times
Default Houston- the melting pot of cool cultures

Hey Jayden,

No offense taken.

Part of what makes Houston fantastic IS the diversity of culture. Most of the people I know speak English very well, but also bring an awesome taste of "back home" with them.

That's why we have such a wide range of restaurants here, sporting events, social gatherings-is that Houston is so international.

That also means the Houstonians are very welcoming as well.
I moved here from New York, and am treated like a Houstonian.

So welcome to you and your family.

BTW, if you just want to taste the waters a little bit without a big commitment to outright Buy a home, you can also do a lease to own or lease option.

Houston has a ton of houses and great neighborhoods and ranks very high in the best places for real estate.

If I can walk you through the process in anyway, please let me know or visit my blog.

Welcome to Houston. Give some time. You're gonna love it and we're gonna luv you back. (everybody now: AWWWW)

thanks!

Dennis

Last edited by recoachdennis; 01-29-2010 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: just adding a nice touch

Old 01-29-2010, 06:03 PM

3 posts, read 5,517 times
Default hi

If you want to live in a good place in houston I consider living on the outside of beltwy 8. I lived in atascosita and its a very nice place close to the city.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach19314 View Post
If you want to live in a good place in houston I consider living on the outside of beltwy 8. I lived in atascosita and its a very nice place close to the city.
Thanks for that Zach! Actually Atascosita is where we have been looking into first for homes!

Old 01-29-2010, 06:19 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,274,965 times
Jayden,
You will be fine. Houston has lots of safe, clean, English speaking areas. I moved to San Antonio from Michigan, but spend a ton of time in Houston. It is fine. I think the biggest change you will have to get used to is traffic!

Old 01-29-2010, 07:36 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,111,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach19314 View Post
If you work downtown, that's a long drive.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
If you work downtown, that's a long drive.
How long roughly?

Old 01-29-2010, 08:18 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,111,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden1978 View Post
How long roughly?
I have never driven it to downtown, and certainly not during rush hour. I would guess an hour. If someone corrects me on this due to personal experience, I immediately defer to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston