Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:24 PM

23 posts, read 43,333 times

Advertisements

I'm not here to waste peoples time and flame! I was just generally concerned! I was asking you guys if i have anything to really worry about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 12:25 PM

460 posts, read 2,426,725 times
Default As for hospital services...

my wife was in IC at St Lukes about a year ago, for a week (reasons unrelated to this thread). Orders were for 24hr personal attendant (due to her condition), most of which I provided. So I met all the nurses on all the shifts. Some were white, some black, some asian, some hispanic. From a number of countries. All very professional. Some spoke English better than others, but all were great nurses.

No question that Houston is a metropolitan city. If you want to associate only with WASPs, there are places to live to do that. If you have a problem with minorities, you need to be real careful where you live. This is certainly something that throws people from other cities for a loop. They're looking for "white America" and you only find an approximation of that in the suburbs.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:25 PM

88 posts, read 296,853 times
well the reaction of people here would tell you that houston is very SAFE.. of course just like any big city it has some "bad" areas.. but overall it is SAFE

Old 01-28-2010, 12:26 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhg566 View Post
They're looking for "white America" and you only find an approximation of that in the suburbs.
Or the wealthier parts of the city. I find most of the burbs to be pretty mixed.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:30 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden1978 View Post
I'm not here to waste peoples time and flame! I was just generally concerned! I was asking you guys if i have anything to really worry about!
The answer is NO!... for the most part. It's probably more dangerous than anywhere in Oregon, but it's still pretty safe. If your that concerned about it, live in the suburbs. All the suburbs are safe.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:33 PM

460 posts, read 2,426,725 times
Default OP doesn't know the difference between a public...

and a private or university hospital. Hard to believe. BUT, in all fairness, I was in the NW a few times over the last few years and like people in the NE, most of them are clueless about the rest of the country. Maybe the liberal NW only has public hospitals?

I do feel OP is fortunate to be moving OUT of Oregon. The recent tax hikes passed there are almost out of this world. Welcome to no personal income tax state. Yes, our property taxes are high, BUT YOU GET TO CONTROL THAT via the cost of the house you buy and where you buy it. Not like a state/city income tax which you pay regardless.

Like I said, OP needs to VISIT, and visit a LOT of the city, not just one or two places. I grew up in Oklahoma and was already familiar with Houston (through extended family) when we moved here and it STILL took us 6 months of research before we decided where to buy.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:34 PM

23 posts, read 43,333 times
Let me say one thing! I have nothing against diversity and i'm not looking for "white america" so to speak! What i am concerned about is if the majority of the population where i live drain services, overpopulate schools and hospitals and have no interest in learning english or adapting to our way of life and then having to be bilingual to even have a chance of getting a job! I have seen what it has done to a place and its just so wrong!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden1978 View Post
Let me say one thing! I have nothing against diversity and i'm not looking for "white america" so to speak! What i am concerned about is if the majority of the population where i live drain services, overpopulate schools and hospitals and have no interest in learning english or adapting to our way of life and then having to be bilingual to even have a chance of getting a job! I have seen what it has done to a place and its just so wrong!

Anything south of the Mason Dixon may not be for you then.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:36 PM

88 posts, read 296,853 times
for crying out loud me and many of the people that i know dont speak spanish.. i would say 99% of all houstonians speak ENGLISH..

Old 01-28-2010, 12:38 PM

Is it true that 70% of babies born in Oregon are born addicted to organic coffee and plaid flannel shirts!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston