Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 12,520 times

Advertisements

I live in Shadow Creek Ranch and I have assesed the damages and it doesnt look good. My entire backyard fence (everyone has wood fences) and pretty everyone's backyard fence is blown out and/or destroyed. Who will cover the expenses for this? Will it be the HOA of Shadow Creek? I am a bit confused since about who has the responsiblity of covering this cost to fix the fence....is it one person or is it a shared responsiblity between all people who border this fence (I have 3 neighbors who border or connected with this fence). Any help is welcomed.

Thanks,

NT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 05:42 PM

469 posts, read 1,485,136 times
If your insurance company will not pay for the repairs you can get upto $28,800 from the feds for repairs not covered by your insurance. No one is required to share the expense of putting back up the fence and the home owners association is not responsible for your properties fencing. Your first step is to contact your home owners insurance company and try to get them to cover the fence. If they decline it is time to make a claim on the disaster area fund.

Good Luck!

Old 09-15-2008, 06:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,309 times
I am still in the process of getting a house built. We are in the stage where the thermal sheething was exposed. Ike pretty much remove a good area of this from the side of our house and i am sure rain water made its way inside the house and into the sheet rock. What is the best way to go about seeing if there is any moisture in the sheetrock and should I do this myself or should I have an inspector check this out?

Old 09-15-2008, 07:30 PM

I would have an inspector check it out. A good inspector usually has infared and moisture detecor equipment that they can use to determine whether or not there is moisture in areas that you can not see. If you want you might be able to rent this equipment but I am not sure where you would go to do this if there is anyone else on the board that can give that information if would be great for mpolar.

mpolar I hope everything works out for you and wish you the best of luck.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:47 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
i wouldnt worry too much about sheetrock getting wet, especially in hot environments like in houston. if you notice door arches common in homes today - those are sheetrock dipped in water and dried to take the arch shape. when it dries its dry. as long as the sheetrock on your wall is flat and there is no constant source of moisture then its ok

Old 09-22-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
i wouldnt worry too much about sheetrock getting wet, especially in hot environments like in houston. if you notice door arches common in homes today - those are sheetrock dipped in water and dried to take the arch shape. when it dries its dry. as long as the sheetrock on your wall is flat and there is no constant source of moisture then its ok
I agree with this only to a point. It depends on how wet the sheet rock gets and whether or not it soaks clean through. If it soaks clean through it opens big up major chances of having mold. Not to mention if the sheet rock gets soaked there is a good chance that the studs have also. That can lead to dry rot so be very careful and check everything out completely. Water damage is nothing to ignore and can have dire consequences if left unchecked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston