Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:24 AM

10 posts, read 37,512 times

Advertisements

I really love Vietnamese... I want some more choices.

I nominate Vietnam Coast for the best "Vietnamese Eggrolls" in the H. Great Pho too.

What is your favorite restaurant? What do you like from what restaurants?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 01:37 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Honestly there are way too many to choose from to label one as "best Vietnamese restaurant" in all of Houston. Break it down into specific areas of town & what not.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:53 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
How about near The Heights?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:14 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,391 times
Vietnam Coast and the stuff in/around the Heights are totally gringofied and a lot more expensive than the stuff you'll find in Bellaire or along Scarsdale.

I like Vung Tau for their seafood and pho...very good...right by Hong Kong mall on Bellaire. I like this place a lot because they actually offer a lot more than just pho, spring rolls, and/or banh mis. They have a lot of good and authentic Vietnamese dishes...not just some meat tossed with lemongrass. Try the Bun Bo Hue.

Pho 24 is pretty good, too...has great pho and nice hot pot.

Best Banh Mis are at Givrals, hands down. Nothing can beat their special with BBQ pork/beef and egg.

There is a good pho place on Scarsdale called Hai Van. It is cheap and delicious. I love their coconut jelly dessert.

The Banh Mis inside of the Hong Kong Market on Scarsdale are actually some of the best ones I've tried (and I've tried many) and they are cheap, but the same can't be said of the banh mis inside of Hong Kong mall on Bellaire.

If you want cheap banh mis, you can go to Paris cafe on Bellaire. The chicken ones are not good...like it came from a can, but the GRILLED chicken banh mis are supposed to be good. The BBQ pork/beef banh mis are good. The best part is that if you buy 5 you get one free. Givral still has the best banh mi in town, though.

There are so many Vietnamese restaurants in the Bellaire area, though. It's always fun to just go and try a new place you know nothing about.

Last edited by glorplaxy; 01-29-2010 at 06:40 AM..

Old 01-29-2010, 07:12 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
Vietnam Coast and the stuff in/around the Heights are totally gringofied
What would you consider gringofied? No cilantro?

Old 01-29-2010, 08:11 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
What would you consider gringofied? No cilantro?

No. I consider Vietnamese restaurants that have pretty much no real Vietnamese dishes or flavors as gringofied...or places that focus on general chicken and lemongrass stir fried with meat.

Think about how different Chinese take out restaurants are in areas like Cypress compared to the Chinese places in Bellaire. That should give you a clear idea of how I define the term.

Last edited by glorplaxy; 01-29-2010 at 08:41 AM..

Old 01-29-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
No. I consider Vietnamese restaurants that have pretty much no real Vietnamese dishes or flavors as gringofied...or places that focus on general chicken and lemongrass stir fried with meat.

Think about how different Chinese take out restaurants are in areas like Cypress compared to the Chinese places in Bellaire. That should give you a clear idea of how I define the term.

Hey... all I care is if it's tasty or not

Old 01-29-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Honestly there are way too many to choose from to label one as "best Vietnamese restaurant" in all of Houston. Break it down into specific areas of town & what not.

Ok...

1) Houston's best Pho

2) Houston's best "Vietnamese Eggrolls

Old 01-29-2010, 05:54 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,198 times
Tan-Tan or Tien-Tien. but still missing a few of my favorite dishes from (NE)Miss Saigon's menu

Old 01-29-2010, 06:14 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtim View Post
Ok...

1) Houston's best Pho

2) Houston's best "Vietnamese Eggrolls
1) Any place in Hong Kong City Mall

2) Tan Tan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: