Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:43 PM

28 posts, read 172,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Are you basicaly saying that few blacks = area must be racist?

And you're clearly up a blind alley to think it's "dangerous" to live in an area "of less than 10% of ones said race". Please
I never did feel that way.
It's a shame that people try to equate "white areas" with an unpleasant area. This is totally preposterous.

I know that some will take offence at my post. It was not meant to offend. Only to 1. Support Beach Bound's experience, and 2. To encourage people to think. I did not say that areas with few Blacks are racist. If you chose to live in a minority neighborhood I do believe it is dangerous, your chances of harrasment, racial profiling are greatly increased. It is preposterous to think otherwise. I also never said White area= unpleasant. Calling someone/group racist is not something to be taken lightly. Every body/race/minority has the potential to be a racist..............

Old 01-29-2010, 03:49 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,835,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niknak View Post
I know that some will take offence at my post. It was not meant to offend. Only to 1. Support Beach Bound's experience, and 2. To encourage people to think. I did not say that areas with few Blacks are racist. If you chose to live in a minority neighborhood I do believe it is dangerous, your chances of harrasment, racial profiling are greatly increased. It is preposterous to think otherwise. I also never said White area= unpleasant. Calling someone/group racist is not something to be taken lightly. Every body/race/minority has the potential to be a racist..............
Well, at least something we agree on.

Just don't get why you now would say "If you chose to live in a minority neighborhood I do believe it is dangerous".

Dosen't matter now, I guess.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:54 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,121,581 times
I have helped three AA families buy in Cinco - the earliest about 4 years ago. All three love it. We keep in contact and they are the ones that bring up how well they still like living there. The schools, the neighbors, etc. Haven't checked on whether they had any outstanding tickets, though.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:34 PM

31 posts, read 26,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bound View Post
In my last sentence of the original post I wrote "And if you are white you're not going to see it, you're not going to experience it and you will believe it doesn't exist. Well, police brutality is alive and well in Katy, TX in 2010." I knew this post would provoke people who want to defend their community and I don't deny that the general public and the surroundings are lovely. I also don't deny that it was irresponsible to ignore a traffic ticket. I only wanted to point out that profiling and abuse of power happen. From the man who said he has long hair and doesn't fit the model citizen mold I now know that anyone could be targeted by "the authorities". And nope, its not just another "the man" is holding me down story. People will believe what they want. I can only share the experience as truthfully possible.
so......do you think that if i moved to a ghetto black neighborhood i would be treated just like them if i am white? i seriously doubt it.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:08 PM

454 posts, read 1,580,454 times
I do not consider myself to be a racist person, I chose to live in Katy because of the school system, the median income level (my definition for danger is living in low income areas white, black, hispanic), education level (another indicator for crime in my opinion), as well as average age since I want my kids to live somewhere with kids their own age to play with. Race is a factor, but the Katy of 2010 vs. the Katy of 2000 is quite different. SW Katy has a lot of diversity in my opinion. Maybe not as much as Sugarland or other areas, but it is nowhere near 85% White. Go meet your neighbors. We only have 6 houses built on our street and 3 are White, 2 are Hispanic, and 1 is Asian. Now Katy is still a majority white I believe, but not 85%.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,504,322 times
I find it very hard to believe that people that can afford to live in Katy would allow themselves to be stripped searched by Kroger security guards. Give me a break. If it looks like a troll......

Old 01-29-2010, 10:09 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,708,341 times
Quote:
Beach Bound I believe every word of your post. I am African American and can tell you what your husband experienced happens on a regular basis to AA's in Houston, Texas, and any town in America. I have been harrassed, spent a day in jail, only to take my case to court and the 4 officers not show up, because they had no case and perjury would have sent them to jail. Just to add I am in my late 40's married with 3 children total family income $275,000+. I say it can happen in any area. The suburbs are where White people have fled to. Not saying the only reason but most have fled to so called "good areas" (code for minimal diversity) because they don't want to deal with minorities. You will see higher incidences of the things you speak of in those places. I blame your husband he should have known better than to subject his family to what happened. Just because he married a White women does not immune him to what all black people will experience. There are some minorities on an unconcious level that believe so. I agree with others that you should have paid more attention to the racial demographics. Asked more questions. Katy has few Black residents why? and it's not because they can't afford it. I could live in Katy but even if they were giving away homes I would not live there, or in Woodlands, Pearland, Sugarland, no suburban MasterPlanned community for that matter. For those of you that have one Black friend or maybe even are brave enough to have two or three Black friends the reason they/we don't let on to you is because of the same reaction you are all so quick to express in these posts. Racism is alive and kicking all over America and until people admit it and truly examine their beliefs and attitudes it will forever divide us. Diversity to most White people means there is 1 or 2 of each race in the neighborhood or school. They may know one person of color, and don't even see/notice their race/color because they are not racist. It is beyond me why anybody of any race would want to live in an area of less than 10% of ones said race, crazy not too mention dangerous. Please don't get me wrong this is not a negative post against white people, I have 3 white friends. Just think before reacting so quickly to posts like Beach Bound. There is alot to learn from others experiences. Denial is a powerful thing. It took over 200 years to abolish slavery................
I'm black and I regrettably choose to live in katy(that's another story).... that being said, I have a hard time buying the BS Beach Bound is running, but I do agree with some of your points(in bold)

My advice to Beach Bound is.... The world is not perfect, sometimes you have to look at yourself and say "I'm I doing my part to adapt to the conditions I CHOOSE TO LIVE IN?" Life is short, so you may as well live it to the fullest, because you dam sure ain't going to leave it alive

Old 01-29-2010, 10:41 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,835,593 times
Quote:
The suburbs are where White people have fled to. Not saying the only reason but most have fled to so called "good areas" (code for minimal diversity) because they don't want to deal with minorities.
Blah.

Quote:
Diversity to most White people means there is 1 or 2 of each race in the neighborhood or school. They may know one person of color, and don't even see/notice their race/color because they are not racist.
I've heard on here that the 3rd ward got lots of "diversity". Same goes for City of South Houston. Funny how you accuse "whie people" of something like this. What's diversity to you? The less whites the better? Sorry, couldn't resist. You accuse "whites" of something that is totally common in Houston. I can give you several zip codes where you will only find blacks, hispanics and no one else. What about that? To me, you just seem to be ranting off.

I persoanlly chose to live in midtown. There are not many nice areas in Houston proper imo. I can fully understand why people are moving to the suburbs. You hear it on here every day - schools is one of the key words.

Last edited by XodoX; 01-29-2010 at 10:49 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 11:15 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,121,581 times
Quote:
The suburbs are where White people have fled to. Not saying the only reason but most have fled to so called "good areas" (code for minimal diversity) because they don't want to deal with minorities.
No, I am here to attest that the reason people move to the suburbs is to get a bigger house for the money. Period. Including minorities that move there. I have never had anyone tell me it's because they did not like diversity.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:36 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,093,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
No, I am here to attest that the reason people move to the suburbs is to get a bigger house for the money. Period. Including minorities that move there. I have never had anyone tell me it's because they did not like diversity.
Not agreeing or disagreeing but would anyone actually admit to that - that they don't like diversity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston