Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:01 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Why don't some of you get off the freeway so you can see the 'real' Dallas? I live close-in and never use them.
And don't get off the freeway in Katy, Sugarland, Arlington, Denton, Plano, Frisco, Conroe or any other suburb. As Lakewooder said get out and see the 'REAL' Dallas or Houston or Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 08:00 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,690,009 times
I would pick Houston over Dallas. Both have walkable inner neighborhoods, but Houston is more casual and not quite as conservative. For example, just to go to the grocery store in Dallas, women dress to the nines. In Houston, it just doesn't matter so much. I lived in Houston, but had to travel to Dallas for business sometimes, and I could just sense the differences as soon as I got there. I think there may be more "Money" in Dallas as well, which also makes it feel a little more superficial. I lived in Rice Village, and there was lots to walk to. I could walk to the gymn, the grocery store, resturaunts, clubs, and shopping. The montrose area is also similar. The Heights is the oldest, I believe, neighborhood and I think has the strictest zoning codes. There are lots of cool, victorian type houses there, and they try and keep the original feel as much as possible, although the heights, I think, isn't quite as walkable. Houston, several years ago, used to have an even more bohemian feel, but now that it has been regentrified (?) some of that has been lost. Down Lower Westheimer it's been redone with lots of lofts and condos, and some of the festivals that used to be held down there had to move out. It's turned a little more "upwardly mobile yuppie" than as artsy, hippie, bohemian, etc... But still, I'd pick it over Dallas.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:25 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I would pick Houston over Dallas. Both have walkable inner neighborhoods, but Houston is more casual and not quite as conservative. For example, just to go to the grocery store in Dallas, women dress to the nines. In Houston, it just doesn't matter so much. I lived in Houston, but had to travel to Dallas for business sometimes, and I could just sense the differences as soon as I got there. I think there may be more "Money" in Dallas as well, which also makes it feel a little more superficial. I lived in Rice Village, and there was lots to walk to. I could walk to the gymn, the grocery store, resturaunts, clubs, and shopping. The montrose area is also similar. The Heights is the oldest, I believe, neighborhood and I think has the strictest zoning codes. There are lots of cool, victorian type houses there, and they try and keep the original feel as much as possible, although the heights, I think, isn't quite as walkable. Houston, several years ago, used to have an even more bohemian feel, but now that it has been regentrified (?) some of that has been lost. Down Lower Westheimer it's been redone with lots of lofts and condos, and some of the festivals that used to be held down there had to move out. It's turned a little more "upwardly mobile yuppie" than as artsy, hippie, bohemian, etc... But still, I'd pick it over Dallas.
And our family thought it was just us. I have the same feeling between Dallas and Houston.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:58 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
And don't get off the freeway in Katy, Sugarland, Arlington, Denton, Plano, Frisco, Conroe or any other suburb. As Lakewooder said get out and see the 'REAL' Dallas or Houston or Austin.
Well, now, Sugarland is a great representation of the Houston area.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:36 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,535 times
How's that mpope409? Or are you being sarcastic. I think Dallas is far more conservative, pro-war republican attitudes. Also, don't know if anyone has the statistics but isn't Houston far more ethnically diverse?

Old 05-30-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
How's that mpope409? Or are you being sarcastic. I think Dallas is far more conservative, pro-war republican attitudes. Also, don't know if anyone has the statistics but isn't Houston far more ethnically diverse?
No sarcasm. Not only is the First Colony section of Sugarland/Missouri City the most beautiful suburb in the state (probably in the country), the city of Sugarland was rated as the third best place to live in the U.S. (by Money magazine, I believe). On Lexington Boulevard you will enjoy the most gorgeous and relaxing drive in the entire Houston area. The homes are unbelievable, the neighbors are very friendly, and the kids lead full, great lives. Tons of extracurricular activities, great schools, and most people there seem like they have everything they want out of life. The attitude is a little "upper-crust", but that means little when everybody is happy. Lots of construction on Murphy Road (the road that will take you from that area to Houston), though.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:31 PM

Supernova, I just now realized that's probably not what you were talking about, sorry. You should quote my post that you're referring to.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:37 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Check out this article:

The Lavender Heart of Texas | TIME

Old 05-30-2007, 05:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post

Dallas has more conservation and historic districts than anyplace in the USA:

Landmark Districts

Welcome to the City of Dallas, Texas -Development Services

Houston has no zoning.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:46 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,650 times
Dallas' zoning makes it look immaculate on the freeways, but horrible off of them (until you get into the snotty North Dallas, with their North Dallas Botox). I didn't come up with that North Dallas Botox term, either. It was on the radio here on 103.3 FM ESPN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston