Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 AM

4 posts, read 11,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
I would say to stop second guessing yourself! Your gut told you when you moved here it was a great place right? Your friends already lived where they lived right?? Then stay at least till the market picks back up. Look into Meetup groups as mentioned and go out walking to our many many parks and not just the one by your house( assuming there is one because each village/sec has a park almost) even if it means a ride in the car. You would not believe all the different people you will meet. Mommy groups around here from what I have seen meet up around 10ish and the again after the kiddos get out of school. Also check our Community website. There are many groups on there and each village/sec has their own group too. You could always post on there about wanting to meet new people. There a ton of great people here in the community so give it a try! I do know for a fact that there is an LSU group on there and I think even transplants from BR...I think. There are TONS of LSU people around here...that is assuming you are from BR and not a transplant from somewhere else.
You are right. I do need to stop over thinking this. Although there are things about the other part of town that I really like, the great thing is that where we are is really not bad. I don't think we'll be making a move before 2011, so in the meantime, I will definitely work to become more involved in community events.

I just want to have as much time as possible to do research so that if and when we move again, we won't feel so rushed to make a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,262,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab07mom View Post
You are right. I do need to stop over thinking this. Although there are things about the other part of town that I really like, the great thing is that where we are is really not bad. I don't think we'll be making a move before 2011, so in the meantime, I will definitely work to become more involved in community events.

I just want to have as much time as possible to do research so that if and when we move again, we won't feel so rushed to make a decision.
Go out on the weekends or even during the week and drive around those neighborhoods. See what kind of feel you get for them. Do it at different times of the day as well. Then once you have a place then start researching homes for sale. Watch to see how long they sit and what their price points are. There are even some sites out there that will tell you how many days a house has been on the market. Before moving back here we researched for 6 months...actually longer. THere were several homes we were interested in and had been for sale for an entire year and of course as luck would have it they sold a month before we could buy.
Anyways, have a great week. Who knows maybe we will meet one day by accident at one of the parks!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:27 AM

50 posts, read 129,761 times
ab07mom & Txgal33,

I wanted to ask you a few questions. I thought I would post here before sending you both a pm. How are things going in Eagle Springs for you ab07mom? We are thinking of moving from Atlanta to Houston. Originally we were looking at smaller cities like Charleston, Raleigh and Jacksonville Florida. But the schools are much better in Texas than in the rest of the south. My concern with Houston is will it be similar to Atlanta and that we will still not know anyone? We have lived in Atlanta for 10 years and because of traffic we have moved to 3 different areas to stay near my husband’s work and limit the commute time form 1 hour each way to 30 minutes. This has made it hard to keep friends because after driving all week in traffic people typically only socialize with those in their neighborhood. for us even at my 4 year olds preschool playdate with other moms & kids they all live 20 25 minutes away. I would like to find an area or neighborhood where we can make and find a base of people for us to socialize with and for our children to play with. I feel like a large neighborhood like Eagle Springs or others might be a good fit. If you have any thoughts I would greatly appreciate it.

One more thought this may sounds crazy but here goes. Grocery stores. We have 2 Krogers, 3 Publix & 1 Super Target all 2 -5 minutes from our neighborhood. I NEVER see anyone at the grocery store. We all go to different ones. I would LOVE to run into someone and say hi. My old neighborhood we had a Publix down the street that was 2 minutes away. the rest of the grocery stores were all 10 or 15 minutes away. So you always saw someone from the neighborhood which was nice and gave you a community feel. Plus the neighborhood was brand new so none of us knew anyone. This helped in everyone getting to know one another and starting social things like bunko, Tennis, play groups and holiday events. Am I crazy to think I can find a neighborhood like this?

Old 03-18-2010, 03:18 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,262,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roterjo View Post
ab07mom & Txgal33,

I wanted to ask you a few questions. I thought I would post here before sending you both a pm. How are things going in Eagle Springs for you ab07mom? We are thinking of moving from Atlanta to Houston. Originally we were looking at smaller cities like Charleston, Raleigh and Jacksonville Florida. But the schools are much better in Texas than in the rest of the south. My concern with Houston is will it be similar to Atlanta and that we will still not know anyone? We have lived in Atlanta for 10 years and because of traffic we have moved to 3 different areas to stay near my husband’s work and limit the commute time form 1 hour each way to 30 minutes. This has made it hard to keep friends because after driving all week in traffic people typically only socialize with those in their neighborhood. for us even at my 4 year olds preschool playdate with other moms & kids they all live 20 25 minutes away. I would like to find an area or neighborhood where we can make and find a base of people for us to socialize with and for our children to play with. I feel like a large neighborhood like Eagle Springs or others might be a good fit. If you have any thoughts I would greatly appreciate it.

One more thought this may sounds crazy but here goes. Grocery stores. We have 2 Krogers, 3 Publix & 1 Super Target all 2 -5 minutes from our neighborhood. I NEVER see anyone at the grocery store. We all go to different ones. I would LOVE to run into someone and say hi. My old neighborhood we had a Publix down the street that was 2 minutes away. the rest of the grocery stores were all 10 or 15 minutes away. So you always saw someone from the neighborhood which was nice and gave you a community feel. Plus the neighborhood was brand new so none of us knew anyone. This helped in everyone getting to know one another and starting social things like bunko, Tennis, play groups and holiday events. Am I crazy to think I can find a neighborhood like this?
We would actually love to move to Atlanta but only because all of our ENTIRE family live in Atlanta and Augusta. Won't be happening though and now after 9 years we call this home. We moved out here in 01 and lived in apartments in the Clearlake area. Hubbies commute was abt 30 minutes if not more due to traffic though we were closer to his work in Baytown. We knew right away were wanting to buy a home instead of pay CRAZY rent. We thought that at the time Clearlake was overpriced for what we wanted so we headed up North. As soon as we drove around we knew we were home. Lots and lots of trees which is what we were use to. We loved the planned master community feel and had never seen it anywhere before other than Tx. We choose to build in Eagle Springs and we were very blessed. Everybody on the sac was in the same stage of life pretty much. There were new babies every 4 months and we all hung out in the sac on the weekends. Life was grand.
Life goes on though and 5 yrs into it we moved out of state. Kids got older neighbors moved away and we moved back. We still love Eagle Springs but it is NOT as easy to make friends like we did the first time around though we still have several from the old sac that still live there. They say though that things have changed and they hardly see each other even though they live next to each other. Our besties agree with us that it really is what you put into it on how often you see somebody. We make a point to see each other though we live on opposites sides of the hood.
We love our new street but people pretty much keep to themselves and we have been here almost a year and still don't hang with the neighbors. As for seeing people around we have two Krogers, HEB, Super Target, and WalMart and that is a lot but we see people all the time out and about. I personally LOVE having all that within 5 minutes.
Preschool moms all live around here or in the other popular master planned hoods like Summerwood and Fall Creek. So really in the end it is what you make of it. Our friends all travel 30-hour commute times to work because of traffic. They mostly work in town. Its just something they accepted because they love our hood so much.
I don't think this really helped but if ya do come this way I am sure you will love ES! There are people everywhere and kiddos everywhere! So much so we are opening a second Elementary school in the fall to house um all!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:43 AM

50 posts, read 129,761 times
Txgal33
Thank you so much for taking the time to post back. I just got an email back from my old next door neighbor. She moved to Houston June 09 and she really misses Atlanta. They are renting a house in Spring and trying to see where to buy. She said she misses the green and trees of Atlanta. And she says she found the summer much hotter. I am not that worried about the summers. I grew up in Vancouver with mild 80 summers as being the hot. So after 10 years in Atlanta I prefer the heat to wet and rainy winters. With Houston it will be hot and you spend time in the A/C not much different than here in the summer. Yesterday and today it is 70 and everyone is outside.

You mention the trees is that the entire Humble area or just Eagle Springs? We were also looking into Clearlake, Friendswood, & League City. I am not sure about being that close to the coast and the insurance and flooding. I had thought maybe those suburbs were smaller and might give us a smaller town feel. Do you prefer the area if Humble or Clear Lake? Or was it more the house you can get for less money in the north? We would be further from Bush airport if we were south of Houston, which is are only requirement since my husband works from home.

Thanks so much. Have a great weekend & Happy First day of Spring!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,170 times
humble sucks full of drug addicts and crime; move while you still have items to move

I lived here all my life; it has become terrible; making the move ASAP; but no one will by my house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston