Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:52 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
Houston's skylines (we have 3) are pretty dang impressive from all angles. This might have some significance to you: the Texas Medical Center skyline (after all of it is completed) will be larger in area than inner loop Chicago...making it the 7th largest in the nation. That's not even downtown either...
Houston has 3 "main skylines" & many more if you count areas like Greenway Plaza, Westchase, Energy Corridor, Greenspoint, The Woodlands, etc.

Chicago's skyline is without a doubt one of the best in the world & I just got back from there a couple of days ago, but Houston's skyline is no slouch either. There are some vantage points that make it look like NYC or Chicago when viewed at a distance when all of the skylines come together to from one gigantic monster. If all of Houston's buildings were in downtown it would rival those two cities. However, when comparing downtown to downtown, Houston is about the same size as Los Angeles, only Houston's is a little larger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 01:56 AM

166 posts, read 376,377 times
I am also gaining interest in Houston
i thought Dallas would be it for me considering it had a lot of things I liked (tons of gorgeous women, good upscale nightlife scene, good shopping, low taxes, good restaurant scene)
how does Houston compare in those categories and is it a good city for a single guy?
I'd love to give Houston a good shot
by the way i'm in my lower 20's an entrepreneur and pilot I live just outside Chicago
and please lastly I want an honest opinion not of the I hate Dallas variety
Thanks!

Last edited by GQpilot3; 04-01-2010 at 02:07 AM..

Old 04-01-2010, 02:25 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQpilot3 View Post
i thought Dallas would be it for me considering it had a lot of things I liked (tons of gorgeous women, good upscale nightlife scene, good shopping, low taxes, good restaurant scene)
how does Houston compare in those categories and is it a good city for a single guy?
by the way i'm in my lower 20's an entrepreneur and pilot I live just outside Chicago
Thanks!
Dallas usually beats Houston out on the annual Forbes Best Cities For Singles list, but in reality, their night lives & amount of attractive women are almost equal.

Houston is coastal in feeling, while Dallas is more like what you're used to in the Midwest with wide open plains & prairie surrounding you. Dallas has no navigable body's of water for 300 miles.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 PM

36 posts, read 118,875 times
Moved to Houston from Chicago (River North) about a year ago. Houston is alright, but nothing like Chicago. Chicago is a real city, Houston feels like a very large town with some random high-rise buildings. Houston is ugly, there are few nice urban areas. No matter what people say, Houston is ugly. Just because they can point to River Oaks doesn't mean the rest of the city (where real people live) is nice. And there are no urban areas. People here think urban means a busy road with a bunch of strip malls. Nothing like Lincoln Ave. or Division and Damen. Also, there lacks the same amount of young, unmarried people who live in the city. Seems like everyone gets married at 25 and moves to the burbs. In Chi-town, there are tons of people from 25-40 who are unmarried and just enjoying the city. That doesn't exist here. Houston has its positive points. I love the weather. Traffic is better. People really are very nice. Home prices rock. But then again, you don't have the same type of desirable neighborhoods to live in, so of course its cheaper. If you can't tell, I'm not a huge fan of Houston. Had to move for my job, I'm saving up major money, trying to enjoy it while I am here, but will eventually find a better place to call home. Hopefully a place that understands the benefits of city planning. I just offended about 4,000 people here, but its all true.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:27 PM

116 posts, read 280,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD24DDDD View Post
Moved to Houston from Chicago (River North) about a year ago. Houston is alright, but nothing like Chicago. Chicago is a real city, Houston feels like a very large town with some random high-rise buildings. Houston is ugly, there are few nice urban areas. No matter what people say, Houston is ugly. Just because they can point to River Oaks doesn't mean the rest of the city (where real people live) is nice. And there are no urban areas. People here think urban means a busy road with a bunch of strip malls. Nothing like Lincoln Ave. or Division and Damen. Also, there lacks the same amount of young, unmarried people who live in the city. Seems like everyone gets married at 25 and moves to the burbs. In Chi-town, there are tons of people from 25-40 who are unmarried and just enjoying the city. That doesn't exist here. Houston has its positive points. I love the weather. Traffic is better. People really are very nice. Home prices rock. But then again, you don't have the same type of desirable neighborhoods to live in, so of course its cheaper. If you can't tell, I'm not a huge fan of Houston. Had to move for my job, I'm saving up major money, trying to enjoy it while I am here, but will eventually find a better place to call home. Hopefully a place that understands the benefits of city planning. I just offended about 4,000 people here, but its all true.
No, it means you are just here to "take" - not give. Root around and grab what you can, and scurry back to where you came from.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:36 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
The things you speak of do exist here. You have to look harder, that's all. I'm from Chicago and would never move back. I like Houston a lot more.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:12 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Thanks!
If you move to Dallas, you will miss Lake Michigan but there are reservoirs to compensate for the inland feeling. Houston has both a REAL coast and reservoirs. The reservoir areas (Lake Conroe, Lake Livingston, and Lake Houston) are in the Piney Woods belt of Texas (read: forest) north of the city.

Houston has diverse landscapes compared to Dallas. Besides the aforementioned forest in the northern suburbs, there are prairies in the west and northwest suburbs, drained swamp (Oak forest) in the southwest and the rest of the inner city, coastal shrub (dwarf oaks from the salt either in the air or in the ground) in the South (Pearland and Clear Lake City) and marshland along the immediate coast (Galveston).

Old 04-01-2010, 10:42 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Thanks!
Hmm, well here's my honest opinion. I'm in my early 20's and I'm single also, and I'm from Chicago and relocated to Houston with my family. I currently go to school in Austin. But with all my years in Houston this is what I can tell you.

Food: Tex-Mex, (Not Texas food, or Mexican food) it is classified as it's own catagory in food, and might I say it's pretty good. Dallas has them too, but from what I've seen because my dad used to work in Dallas for 2 years, that Houston's was always better.

For singles: The nightlife in DFW is a lot better for sure. Especially in the FW area, they have a lot of things going on around there.

Entrepreneur: UH has one of the best programs for that in the state and in the country which heavily contributes to Houston's economy. Dallas is pretty good as well, but can be more demanding and competitive within it's region.

Houston has the largest mall in the state for shopping, the Original Galleria of Houston, Dallas has one too, but it's smaller. Although DFW have more shops than Houston, I find them to be the same.

I know for a fact that both of them are the same in the tax area. They're both pretty good at it.

Beautiful women: It's about the same in both cities actually. If you want better, than Austin is where you want to be.

I think it would be a tie between them, with Houston just a tad bit in the lead. They're both great cities to choose from.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:07 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Have you looked around Houston?
- Kemah Boardwalk
- Moody Gardens
- Lake Conroe
- Uptown

Those are just four thing's you could do to pass the time. If you need more suggestions then, let me know, I know the city inside out.

Chicago is an amazing city, and the life there is just more professionally fast paced, and seems more rejuvenating, but Houston isn't all that bad either. You just have to give it a try.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:39 AM

166 posts, read 376,377 times
Thanks for all the responses guys! Btw about the inland feel i lived in Phoenix for a year and a half so I know that feeling. It has to be the metro with the least amount of nearby water sources to speak of it bugged me from time to time but I still enjoyed my time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston