Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:39 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belem148 View Post
If you like live music, there is not much other than local stuff-not very innovative-think cover bands. Don't plan on seeing any national or international acts except Insane Clown Posse for the millionth time at Bogarts or some 500 dollar lawn seat stadium show in the summer.
Basically the art/music scene constitutes only regional acts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 08:37 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,123 times
To get back on track, I love both Houston and Chicago. I lived in Chicago for 4 years, and if not for the unspeakably vile weather, it would be my favorite city in the U.S. . There is very little you can do in NYC that you cannot do in Chicago for half the price, an eighth of the hassle and none of the attitude. Houston is not there yet. Houston has world class cultural amenities. The Rothko Chapel is one of the seven wonders of the modern world, and there are great restaurants at every price point. But Houston sprawls and you have to drive a lot between places of interest, and architecturally, unlike Chicago, 80% of the city is hideous - cheaply built, mass produced housing of the popcorn ceiling, never met an architectural idea they did not like, nasty tract housing. The historic core is tiny, and traffic is bad, though not as bad as Chicago. Public transportation is much, much, worse. I never thought I would be nostalgic for the El. Ultimately, for me, Houston is like a much more spread out uglier version of Chicago with much better weather. Houston is easily the most cosmopolitan and culturally vibrant city in Texas. but pretty, it ain't.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:19 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
To get back on track, I love both Houston and Chicago. I lived in Chicago for 4 years, and if not for the unspeakably vile weather, it would be my favorite city in the U.S. . There is very little you can do in NYC that you cannot do in Chicago for half the price, an eighth of the hassle and none of the attitude. Houston is not there yet. Houston has world class cultural amenities. The Rothko Chapel is one of the seven wonders of the modern world, and there are great restaurants at every price point. But Houston sprawls and you have to drive a lot between places of interest, and architecturally, unlike Chicago, 80% of the city is hideous - cheaply built, mass produced housing of the popcorn ceiling, never met an architectural idea they did not like, nasty tract housing. The historic core is tiny, and traffic is bad, though not as bad as Chicago. Public transportation is much, much, worse. I never thought I would be nostalgic for the El. Ultimately, for me, Houston is like a much more spread out uglier version of Chicago with much better weather. Houston is easily the most cosmopolitan and culturally vibrant city in Texas. but pretty, it ain't.
It'll be a really long time, 3 or so decades before Houston get's there, and by then it might be a little to late.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:59 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Good post... Houston has nice areas, and ugly areas. Some people like to only talk about the pretty areas which accounts for only 20 to 30 percent of Houston, whereas the remaining majority of what Houston is really like is swept under the rug. And when someone does try to point it out they get put on blast for it.

I think you summed it up quite nicely.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:48 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
Good post... Houston has nice areas, and ugly areas. Some people like to only talk about the pretty areas which accounts for only 20 to 30 percent of Houston, whereas the remaining majority of what Houston is really like is swept under the rug. And when someone does try to point it out they get put on blast for it.

I think you summed it up quite nicely.

What's so different about that than any other city? Yeah I think the post was a good one, but what you're not realizing is that the only difference between Houston and many other cities is that their areas are popularized by the media and people tend to overlook the bad. I've heard Cabrini Green wasn't so hot, but of course tourists aren't going to know about that, or want to visit it. Other cities like NYC for instance, have an incredibly high income disparity, but no one talks about that, they only talk about Manhattan. The real problem is the accessibility, because you can't get to the good areas of Houston without going through the bad areas. But I guess that doesn't really matter, it's kinda like talking to a wall.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:51 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
What's so different about that than any other city? Yeah I think the post was a good one, but what you're not realizing is that the only difference between Houston and many other cities is that their areas are popularized by the media and people tend to overlook the bad. I've heard Cabrini Green wasn't so hot, but of course tourists aren't going to know about that, or want to visit it. Other cities like NYC for instance, have an incredibly high income disparity, but no one talks about that, they only talk about Manhattan. The real problem is the accessibility, because you can't get to the good areas of Houston without going through the bad areas. But I guess that doesn't really matter, it's kinda like talking to a wall.
Great Post!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:05 PM

433 posts, read 1,929,895 times
Homeinatex: Awesome post.

The Sublime: Cabrini Green was demolished and they built mixed-income houses. It used to be a terrible neighborhood but now the crime is way low. (but don't worry, there are plenty of other bad neighborhoods).

Old 04-18-2010, 11:08 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
Homeinatex: Awesome post.

The Sublime: Cabrini Green was demolished and they built mixed-income houses. It used to be a terrible neighborhood but now the crime is way low. (but don't worry, there are plenty of other bad neighborhoods).
Yeah Englewood from what I heard

Old 04-18-2010, 11:48 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Quote:
Good post.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:41 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
Quote:
Spot on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston