Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:36 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,109 times

Advertisements

Wasn't NASA on the front page of today's Chronicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 09:13 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default Are you kidding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
We all know how much waste there is with this useless criminal corrupt govt (not everyone wants to admit it) but lets look at NASA for a moment. It took 10 years, 20,000 contractors, 300,000 Technicians and Scientists, and $24 billion to put a man on the moon. Now that we know there is nothing up there of any value to us, surely we can redirect some of this time, money and effort to feed the hungry, get this country out of the depression, put people back to work or any other number of items we Americans so desperatly need.

The govt gives $18 billion dollars to NASA every year. Does anyone else here see anything wrong with giving all that money to a bunch of Rocket Scientists and just tell them to go have fun with it? No instructions what to do with these tax payer funded dollars. Nothing. Just here ya go Mr Scientist, go have fun with it. Tell me somthing. We all know by watching this govt at work just how people act when they are spending other peoples money. They will take unnecessary risks, pay themselves greater salaries, and never have to account for where they spent the money. Is this right?

NASA is nothing more then one big personal hobby of this useless corrupt crooked govt. Does anyone here believe we should be paying for some one elses hobby? It's bad enough we finance other countries wars.

Today's so called missions, complete with all the added expenses from problems and overruns that come with it, bring back little to nothing of value. There is nothing of value up there, just rocks and dirt. Just how many moon rocks to they need to study? NASAs ultimate goal is to find another inhabitable planet. I have a really good idea. Why not round up every single govt bureaucrat and send them all to this new planet they dream of and financed with OUR money. Then we can put a business man as president rather then another politician.

What could $18 billion do for us now. Think that one over.
A hobby?! Are you serious? I'm not advocating money for NASA myself, but to say it is a hobby and of no value, well even I know what contributions NASA has made. For example, you would not be on your desktop/laptop had it not been for NASA. There are too many examples of what NASA has contributed, just Google it.

I still can't believe people think like this, it just goes to prove people's ignorance on the matter, and why they should not listen to people who have no clue what contributions programs like NASA have made on behalf of the human race.

Do you have a GPS system? Your phone probably has one. Thank NASA. Do you have Cable TV, Satellite? Thank the Russians, then NASA. Do you use a phone? NASA! Do you ever listen to weather reports, or watch hurricane movements? Does your car have airbags? NASA. And on, and on. The list is endless. Much of the luxuries we enjoy today are the result of NASA research either directly, or as a byproduct of another application.

Again, sheer ignorance!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:26 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,109 times
NASA spin-off - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-02-2010, 09:52 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,865,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
A hobby?! Are you serious? I'm not advocating money for NASA myself, but to say it is a hobby and of no value, well even I know what contributions NASA has made. For example, you would not be on your desktop/laptop had it not been for NASA. There are too many examples of what NASA has contributed, just Google it.

I still can't believe people think like this, it just goes to prove people's ignorance on the matter, and why they should not listen to people who have no clue what contributions programs like NASA have made on behalf of the human race.

Do you have a GPS system? Your phone probably has one. Thank NASA. Do you have Cable TV, Satellite? Thank the Russians, then NASA. Do you use a phone? NASA! Do you ever listen to weather reports, or watch hurricane movements? Does your car have airbags? NASA. And on, and on. The list is endless. Much of the luxuries we enjoy today are the result of NASA research either directly, or as a byproduct of another application.

Again, sheer ignorance!
Well, this has nothing to do with the moon.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:59 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default Don't hide your head in the sand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Well, this has nothing to do with the moon.
Re-read the sentence regardng the luxuries we enjoy today. It's simple, isn't it? I mean, if you don't get my point, well you don't get my point.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:02 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
We all know how much waste there is with this useless criminal corrupt govt (not everyone wants to admit it) but lets look at NASA for a moment. It took 10 years, 20,000 contractors, 300,000 Technicians and Scientists, and $24 billion to put a man on the moon. Now that we know there is nothing up there of any value to us, surely we can redirect some of this time, money and effort to feed the hungry, get this country out of the depression, put people back to work or any other number of items we Americans so desperatly need.
Let me chime in & say there IS something of value to us on the moon, its called H20, the most essential element for life to exist. We could not even walk outside if it weren't for the moon. It controls the gravitational pull of the Earth, it affects the tides, temperatures, seasons, etc.

Since when did we reach depression stage? We are in a recession, two totally different things, most of which was caused by mortgage companies lending money to anyone with a pulse & credit card companies sending offers in the mail with $20,000 initial credit lines.

I agree that we need to control government spending, but cutting NASA short isn't one of them. Many advances in medicine & various other forms of day to day living have been brought to life because of the Space Program as Alphalogical provided a link for. You can thank your lucky stars for that.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:05 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,865,432 times
Quote:
Re-read the sentence regardng the luxuries we enjoy today. It's simple, isn't it? I mean, if you don't get my point, well you don't get my point.

You must be talking about the GPS antennas on the moon?

I don't think you got the point.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:10 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
there lies the problem. its a very old technique and started from the steam engine era
if they dont want planet earth science, they should quit and make video games
Google Wankel Engine

Old 02-02-2010, 10:15 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:

Again, sheer ignorance!
Ignorance? Actually everyone else says genius. I tend to agree. I do not agree with your personal attack. Save that for your government who deserves it most. NASA has come up with some great inventions but nothing has come from the moon.

The other useless waste of human flesh some call our president has finally done a good thing. No more useless space rockets. The money is for research by the greatest Scientists we have who happen to work for this govt boondoggle called NASA.

Lets see if these Scientists can figure a way out of the worst depression since 1928. I see that as more valuble then sending another trillion dollars to the moon where no body lives.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:24 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Let me chime in & say there IS something of value to us on the moon, its called H20, the most essential element for life to exist. We could not even walk outside if it weren't for the moon. It controls the gravitational pull of the Earth, it affects the tides, temperatures, seasons, etc.

Since when did we reach depression stage? We are in a recession, two totally different things, most of which was caused by mortgage companies lending money to anyone with a pulse & credit card companies sending offers in the mail with $20,000 initial credit lines.

I agree that we need to control government spending, but cutting NASA short isn't one of them. Many advances in medicine & various other forms of day to day living have been brought to life because of the Space Program as Alphalogical provided a link for. You can thank your lucky stars for that.
So there is water on the moon. Who says so? 3 different space craft has said so but to date no pictures or proof has ever been forth coming to us peasants. Besides, even if there were huge freshwater lakes up there, what are we going to do run a pipe with a pump on it to earth? Or maybe fill up some big air bladders with water on each trillion dollar trip and bring them here to dump in our lakes.

And oh yes we are in a depression. Your govt has only just publicly admitted we were in a recession 2 Decembers ago when in fact the recession was already 2 years old. Today by all neutral sources, facts and figures we are in a full blown depression. Your govt would never ever say that dirty filthy D word. Just imagine the impact on our financial situation if your govt said something that was actually true for a change. Dont believe anything your govt tells you. They never told the truth in over a hundred years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston