Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 06:59 AM

42 posts, read 188,770 times

Advertisements

We just moved to the Pine Mill Ranch subdivision and I heard that there would be an elementary school and highschool built in the next few years. Any word on when the elementary will be complete?

Also, anyone else living in this community and trying to figure out how to meet other people? I have only met one or two people and would like to meet others that live here. Hubby and I both work full-time outside the home and it's hard to meet people that live in the neighborhood - unless you're a stay-at-home mom and have time to hang out at the playground. We have a 3 year old and live in section 5. I don't want to go door to door to say "Hi" as it seems a little intrusive to me (nobody did that in the inner city where we used to live) but I will do it if that's the only way to meet ya!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 07:37 AM

129 posts, read 460,759 times
Default new schools

Per the December Katy ISD long term planning meeting, the elementary school near you is scheduled to open 2012 and the high school in 2013.... provided the bond passes this November.

How do you like Pine Mill Ranch so far? We're still neighborhood shopping....

Old 02-03-2010, 10:55 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,308,023 times
When the weather starts to warm up you will see a lot of people out working in their yards, or just walking with their dogs/children. You could take this opportunity to get a little exercise and walk around and say "hi" to everyone you see, or work in your own garden and say "hi" to everyone that passes by. If you see a woman working in her garden, compliment her on how nice it looks and she will probably be happy to talk to you for a bit. After a while you might get to know some of them well enough to invite over for a casual get-together.

Does your HOA have a community website? Some have message boards and that could be a way to meet some neighbors online.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:37 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,179 times
Agree with cla. Your main problem right now is the weather and the short days. In a couple months you will see lots of people out in their front yards watching their kids play in the street/driveways, before and after dinner. At least that's how it is where I am, which is just down the road a bit from you. PMR is a young neighborhood. Definitely go for walks with your kiddo as soon as the weather and daylight are good enough to do that. Be friendly, my neighbors were super friendly with us. You can also watch to see if some folks walk to the mailbox in the evenings and try to time it so you run into them.

Also there are mom's groups that don't only meet during the day. One I love is called Moxie Moms of Katy, just google it. You get a discount card that you can use all over town, you get access to a yahoo group for asking and answering questions from other local moms, and we have a Facebook page. We try to schedule meetups both during the day and at night for moms to get out. There are plenty of working moms in our group, myself included. There are 500 members in Katy and most of them live in the south part of Katy, there are likely several in Pine Mill Ranch.

Another suggestion is signing your kiddo up for YMCA soccer...starts at 3 yrs old. It's a fun way to meet some other parents.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Float View Post
Per the December Katy ISD long term planning meeting, the elementary school near you is scheduled to open 2012 and the high school in 2013.... provided the bond passes this November.

How do you like Pine Mill Ranch so far? We're still neighborhood shopping....
Thanks for the info. Everything is still so new for us, but we're adjusting well I think. I love my house, no doubt about that.

I've had to adjust my work schedule for the commute to downtown, so that has been rough for me since we used to live about 2 miles from downtown.

I'm excited about the growth in the area. I hope that someday that Pine Mill Ranch Drive will be connected to FM 1463 or Katy Flewellen Road so that we won't have to drive down that somewhat dangerous Katy Gaston/Green Bush road anymore. It seems like every week I see a car in the ditch along that road somewhere, usually near the S-curve.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cla View Post
When the weather starts to warm up you will see a lot of people out working in their yards, or just walking with their dogs/children. You could take this opportunity to get a little exercise and walk around and say "hi" to everyone you see, or work in your own garden and say "hi" to everyone that passes by. If you see a woman working in her garden, compliment her on how nice it looks and she will probably be happy to talk to you for a bit. After a while you might get to know some of them well enough to invite over for a casual get-together.

Does your HOA have a community website? Some have message boards and that could be a way to meet some neighbors online.
The community doesn't have a website yet. I did find the HOA property management page, but it just has their contact information on it. I'll definitely follow your suggestion when the weather warms up.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
Agree with cla. Your main problem right now is the weather and the short days. In a couple months you will see lots of people out in their front yards watching their kids play in the street/driveways, before and after dinner. At least that's how it is where I am, which is just down the road a bit from you. PMR is a young neighborhood. Definitely go for walks with your kiddo as soon as the weather and daylight are good enough to do that. Be friendly, my neighbors were super friendly with us. You can also watch to see if some folks walk to the mailbox in the evenings and try to time it so you run into them.

Also there are mom's groups that don't only meet during the day. One I love is called Moxie Moms of Katy, just google it. You get a discount card that you can use all over town, you get access to a yahoo group for asking and answering questions from other local moms, and we have a Facebook page. We try to schedule meetups both during the day and at night for moms to get out. There are plenty of working moms in our group, myself included. There are 500 members in Katy and most of them live in the south part of Katy, there are likely several in Pine Mill Ranch.

Another suggestion is signing your kiddo up for YMCA soccer...starts at 3 yrs old. It's a fun way to meet some other parents.
Great suggestions, thank you!

Old 09-09-2010, 11:42 AM

68 posts, read 191,108 times
Old thread I know... But I am also an Aggie (Whoop!) and we live in PMR now. Been there about a year. Good to see we have others in the neighborhood though!! Oh and yes, I will have my Aggie flag flying proudly on game days!

Old 09-12-2010, 08:14 AM

37 posts, read 119,552 times
i live in PMR as well. bought a perry home in oct 09. per the may 2010 long term meeting for KISD, the elementary school in PMR will not open till 2016. instead they plan to open an elementary on falcon landing (2 blocks behind the shell gas station) in 2012, the high school will open in 2013. all again on bonds to be decided on november 2nd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: