Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 04:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,262 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Houston from '91-'97 when I was just a small kid. Since then i moved away.

Recently my company decided to transfer me to there department in Houston, TX. I'm just looking for any information concerning the area where my office would be located (located at 5301 Hollister Road, Zip: 77040 just south of I-290 general area is called 'Jersey Village').

I'm mostly looking for advise about any traffic problems in the area(like is I-290 clogged and should be avoided or not), where I can find a nice apartment/housing complex (something small studio, 1-room or perhaps 2, I prefer quality over size) near my office, and what's culture is prevelant there (african-amercian, hispanic, eastern european, white, students, oldpeople, etc.). And anything else I should know (like if the area is high crime level).

Any recommendations/information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 06:07 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,157,104 times
What is your price range?

Old 02-04-2010, 06:54 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,905,250 times
290 truly sucks in traffic, both ways at all times.

That said, if your office is there, it's there.

The culture all over Houston has changed since you were here; if anything, it's gotten much more diverse. The city has also gotten much bigger. On 290, there are represented practically all races and price ranges. You'll have a wide choice of apartments ranging from cheap/crummy to expensive/very nice.

The completion of the Beltway has changed the complexion of Houston. Depending on where your office is, you wouldn't necessarily be stuck to the 290 area; could find a place on the Katy Freeway (also newly completed). There are nice apartments (new) in the old Town and Country area (if you remember Town and Country Mall, they tore it down and have built a new mixed-use area there). Lots to do for someone your age (assuming 20's/30's from your description of being a kid in Houston in the 90's).

Good luck, and welcome back!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:28 PM

9 posts, read 19,592 times
Look around the Cypress area. A little nicer than Jersey Village, and right on 290. Yes, traffic sucks, but that is all over the city.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,262 times
Thanks for the great information.

My price range for an apartment would be around 600-900 (though if there is a much better deal I could go higher). I'm single so I wont need a large apartment (studio, 1-bedroom, or 2-bedroom).

I've been researching everything I can about Houston and came across the wonderful statistic that Houston is in the top 10 worst traffic cities in the US (I believe it was number 9). Also has the 2nd worst highway bottleneck in the US (I-610 at I-10 interchange). Since right now I'm also living in a high traffic city and I'm not to worried but at the same time I hate losing hours of my life to standing in traffic.

A little about myself, single white male, 24 years old. Planning on going to a gym, have no pets. If I had to choose an ideal community I would like it be mostly young people of course with some sort of night life or bars close by.

I will check out the old Town and Country area, I remember the mall name but I was pretty young (lived in Houston, from 6 to 13) so I never really paid attention to all the road/street names. I'm sure it all come back once I take a glance around.

Anyway any information is greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to living in Houston with it's warm weather again (it's freezing here today).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston