Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,868 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I am a new to this forum. My company is relocating me from London England in a few months to our Houston office. I have been learning about the neighbourhoods and the Houston city generally. But i will like to know what is the best neighbourhood for a guy like me looking for mainly Apartments. I tend to like Sugar Land, Pearland (close to TX 288), Clear Lakes, and League City.

Please can anyone tell me which of the areas mentioned above is the best for apartments with good social amenities, educated social groups, and vibrant community.

I like to live away from the city or downtown life. I dont mind the commute to work. I believe 35-40mins is not that bad especially for someone like me coming from London, England.

Cheers.
aadejumo.

Last edited by FromLondonToHouston; 02-05-2010 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: Just for Updates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 08:32 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Commuting in Houston is a big issue, where will your office be located.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,868 times
My office is based at Riverway, 77056. Just adjacent to S Post Oak Lane and adjacent to Woodway Drive as well. The google map gives me an average commute time of:

- 35-40mins (with 1 hour in traffic) from Clear Lakes
- 30 mins (with 40mins in traffic) from Sugar Land
- 35 mins (with 40-48mins in Traffic) from Pearland

Are these reasonable times? and would you judge that this may be tiring?

Or would you say apartments near the Astrodome (within the circular I-610, 77054) is better considering safety and security in terms of crime ? This is 16mins (30mins in traffic).

Thanks

Old 02-05-2010, 09:21 AM

124 posts, read 320,432 times
In your office area I would check out some of the apartments in the Rice / Med Center area. There will be plenty of people your age and theres lots of things to do. It's not as densely urban as downtown or midtown. If your looking to buy I would suggest Westbury or Willowbend / Meadows, if you don't mind an older home. These areas still have a suburban feel despite being inside of the Houston city limits.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:18 AM

614 posts, read 1,237,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromLondonToHouston View Post
Hello All,
I am a new to this forum. My company is relocating me from London England in a few months to our Houston office. I have been learning about the neighbourhoods and the Houston city generally. But i will like to know what is the best neighbourhood for a guy like me looking for mainly Apartments. I tend to like Sugar Land, Pearland (close to TX 288), Clear Lakes, and League City.

Please can anyone tell me which of the areas mentioned above is the best for apartments with good social amenities, educated social groups, and vibrant community.

I like to live away from the city or downtown life. I dont mind the commute to work. I believe 35-40mins is not that bad especially for someone like me coming from London, England.

Cheers.
aadejumo.
Is there a reason you want to move out to the suburbs(being a single man)? If you're looking for an apartment, suburbs will have some but not alot of options. I would think you would rather like the area around the Galleria. Alot of apartments, close to your work, and a little busier life style for a single man more so than the suburbs.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:28 AM

441 posts, read 1,327,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromLondonToHouston View Post
Hello All,

Cheers.
aadejumo.
None of the communities you mentioned are vibrant. Those you listed could be described best like suburbs for 40+ folks with family.

Forget about anything vibrant outside the loop. Actually the areas you are looking for are Rice Uni/Medical center vicinity, Montrose and several neighbouring districts. Rest in Houston is suburban "paradise".

I don't mean it in a bad way, just 28 year old single people from Europe should expect a bit of culture shock, I know what I am talking about I was in your shoes few years back. Seriously forget about suburbs unless you want to raise a family, you will be bored to death there.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:07 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Clear Lake, zip 77058 age distribution:

mirrors Montrose 77006, believe it or not. I am aware of no other suburban area that is like this. Much of this has to do with the large UH branch down there.

However I'd add some time to those commutes you listed above. The 35 minutes in the morning and 50-60 minutes in the evening only applies if you're on the northern fringe (77062), near Ellington Field, which is where the families are.

The part where the people closer to your age live & congregate is farther south 10 minutes each way, closer to the water. Unless you like extreme crowds I really don't think you'd be bored at all down there, but ideally you'd work & live in the area.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:44 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,391 times
None of those suburbs have vibrant communities or social scenes.

Your idea of a suburb is probably VERY different from how the suburbs here actually are. Suburbs here are for parents who are scared that Houston will eat, beat, and rape their children alive...whose idea of a vibrant social evening is taking the kids to the video store on a Friday evening.

You'd be a lot better off living in the city if you want any sort of social scene at all. Try the Galleria area, Washington ave, Midtown, Montrose, etc... The entire city of Houston is probably a lot like what you picture a suburb to be, seeing as you come from London.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:48 PM

105 posts, read 265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Clear Lake, zip 77058 age distribution:

mirrors Montrose 77006, believe it or not.
The distribution may be the same but I would expect the marital status in the CL region to be larger towards "married with kids and the big day out is church on Sunday or maybe pappadeux".

Old 02-05-2010, 01:59 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Lol. Just gotta read the title and you know it's a Brit.

77054 is so so. Not too bad but I wouldn't wanan live there. Dosen't have any appeal to me. I say you should move to Midtown ( can you include 4th ward?). that's the place you wanna be at this age, at least that's what I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston