Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:28 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times

Advertisements

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Katrina led to the largest humanitarian effort ever on American soil and Houston was at the center of it all. Out of the bumbling of the NOLA city, Louisiana state and federal governments, Houston had it together. History will look favorably upon this city for its role in the crisis.

They were coming no matter what. There's no way to stop it. And it's a good thing, because we'd be **** outta luck if Dallas, San Antonio, Austin etc. threw up their hand and say "nope, you've got some less than upstanding citizens, so go home. We don't want your criminals or your traffic. You're on your own." If we could do that to New Orleans then the usual destinations for Houston hurricane evacuees could do it to us. And guess what, not three weeks later we needed those places to take in our own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 11:10 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Many of the New Orleans Katrina victims have made Houston their home and have no intention on going back and they shouldn't if they don't feel it is best for them and their family. It is disappointing to see the OP post that. And yes, I agree, let's not act like Houston was some nice tranquil quiet city before Katrina.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:00 AM

410 posts, read 1,495,044 times
Wow........Who wants to go back so the same thing that could potentially happen again???? New Orleans is a great place to visit but since it's still under sea level......What's the sense in going back???

Like someone previously said.....If they've found a job here and are doing well they've made a foundation here why uproot? Most "New Orleanians" have family that live here now so there's no sense in moving back. They have gone through alot not only physically but mentally....just because they are from New Orleans doesn't mean they want to go back that's like saying "Now that Mardi Gras is up and running again everything is back to normal and people should go back", STUPID!

I normally like what Mr. Football has to say but it's definetly now making me think twice about him??

Old 02-08-2010, 08:08 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Living in an area where many of the NOLA crowd moved to, most have gone back. Either way, they have not impacted our area's security any way negative. Sure there was a bump in crime for a year in Houston, due to some of their finest coming over. But we are heading into 5 years since now...and if our crime rate is still bad WE OWN the problem . Blaming other people or groups for your area's increase in crime is MOOT at this point. Obviously, most that have stayed have found employment and created a life for themselves.

If Ike had flooded the OP's home, and he had to refugee off to Oklahoma in an apartment for a year while his insurance was worked out, hopefully people would be more gracious to him. And hopefully if he decided to make some other place than Texas home due to the hurricane, people wouldn't look down their nose at them.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:57 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times
the only real problem i have is that there are a ton of katrinains who are STILL (as stated going on 5 yrs) who are living in apartments and trailers provided by our tax dollars. i have seen this in the past 2 months 1st hand. we just got a contract to do about 4000 homes (semi low income) in the beaumont/sabine pass area. these homes are govt funded and easily accessible and are being built specificly for these people. now are there enough jobs in that area to support that many new homes and families, or is this just more FREE from the govt? is this to "give them a leg up?" or is it to get them out of peoples hair? it is going to be nothing more then a ghetto in a still hurricane prone area but it is appeasement.

i agree with
Quote:
But we are heading into 5 years since now...and if our crime rate is still bad WE OWN the problem
completely. i am tired of excuses, from this situation all the way to mr obama still blaming mr bush, it would be great if everyone would just take things on their own and quite blaming everyone else.

as for the whole "NO is under sea level so we cant send the people back there for another hurricane" argument, this is PURE BS. that city is older then houston and how many times in its more then 200 yrs has something like this happened? its like saying that galveston was the site of the worst natural disaster in us history (worse then katrina) so nobody should go back there because it COULD happen again. that is just crap.

now all this said, i am a firm believer that if you want to live in a disaster prone area you should have to pay for it. i dont think the people in say austin tx should have to pay taxes to fix joe blows house in houston, NO, miami because he chose to live in a hurricane prone area. people in SA should not have to pay taxes to pay for the fire fighters in cali every year when some idiot doesnt properly put out a camp fire (remember only you can prevent wild fires... in my best smokey the bear voice). you want to live there you should have to pay for it if you get screwed.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:00 AM

265 posts, read 597,165 times
I still see Katrina people whenever I go to the Greenspoint Mall. They're like the soldiers in front of the Witches castle in The Wizard of Oz. Just roaming around in patterns with no purpose other than roaming.

What a world.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:58 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callo View Post
I still see Katrina people whenever I go to the Greenspoint Mall. They're like the soldiers in front of the Witches castle in The Wizard of Oz. Just roaming around in patterns with no purpose other than roaming.

What a world.
Wow! Is this the way you really view the world? It's amazing you are actually able to walk out your front door everyday. If I felt the way you do I would never leave my house.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:28 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callo View Post

What a world.
Why in the world would somebody like you go to Greenspoint Mall?

Old 02-10-2010, 11:45 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
ohhhh-eeeee-ohhhh NOOOOOOOOLA!

(Did the witch even have a castle? I thought that was the wizard.)

Old 02-10-2010, 11:50 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
The witch had Flying Monkeys.

Maybe that's why there's always a Fair set up at Greenspoint.

oh yeah...she did have some soldiers...just remembered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston