U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 04:48 AM

8 posts, read 18,014 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of organizing a move from the west of France to NW Houston and need a good international mover. Does anyone know of a good international moving company that can help move my family from france to houston??? Thanks everyone for your help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 08:03 AM

912 posts, read 2,435,732 times
Team were pretty good with our move and hopefully will be again when we get out of here next year.

International Moving | TEAM Allied | Services, Team, Delivering, Corporate*-*TEAM Allied

Moving from Pau by any chance? C'est une jolie ville.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the Info! We are going to be moving from Vannes located in bretagne. I guess you had a good experience with Allied because by Internet you only hear bad things about every moving company.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:11 PM

Yes I heard bad things about almost every company as well. I went with Allied because their quote was mid range price wise and colleagues had used them for similar moves without problem.

I moved from the Netherlands to the US so I can't comment on the France side of the company. However what I can say is that when I used Bishop Move to go from France to the Netherlands they employed some local Paloise who turned up stinking of alcohol and were totally useless.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:20 PM

3,566 posts, read 4,447,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD78 View Post
I am in the process of organizing a move from the west of France to NW Houston and need a good international mover. Does anyone know of a good international moving company that can help move my family from france to houston??? Thanks everyone for your help
How long to you want to stay? What do you want to move over here? It's so expensive. I would consider selling it. A friend of mine works at an international moving company in D.C and she said herself that it's not really worth it.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:00 PM

Expense didn't come into my move as the company paid for everything. However you can't throw away or sell all your personal possessions and 16m3 cost only $4K fully insured. You'd lose more than that in the hit you'd take when you sell.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:01 PM

I have had quotes more in the 4700 euros which is alot but like you said, you can not throw away everything you own. I don't have alot to move really but just enough to leave me know choice but to ship it. Allied here I do not know but I had put them aside because they insisted to do everything and came to be very expensive. I am more worried that what I send gets there in the first place and second that it is in one piece.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:19 PM

4700 euros sounds like far too much CD78, I only moved here 12 months ago and I have the invoice here- it works out at $4185 (Euro 3106). That was based on 16m3 or half a container. Shipped from Netherlands to US. Perhaps the distance from your home to the nearest port is the problem? We were pretty close to Europoort.

Maybe try getting them to compete against one another on price? I am sure they would try to beat a competitors price.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:26 AM

Well, I know the container will be sent to Havre which is an hour and a half from where we live. I have en entire container because we are 6, my wife and 4 kids and not much quickly turns into alot at 6. The price of 4700 euros is actual a reduction after I put two against each other. The original price was 4990 euros for an entire container, the boxes, the loading but the unloading is up to me.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:01 AM

Sounds about right for a whole container I am sad to say, especially shipped all the way to Le Havre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston