Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 13,903 times

Advertisements

I lived in Houston in the Nineties wow it was great back then - my first ever club i went to was about 1987 The Ocean Club what a fab place that was 3 floors of glitz and glitter.. Then I remember Sam's Boat Sam's Place, Yucatan Liquor Stand and since I had a very diverse taste back then I was even known to go to The Rose - Miss The Turtle Club The Lizard Lounge and the Holiday Inn at Clear Lake on a Sunday. My favorite thing about back then was how safe and friendly places were back then. By the time I was leaving to move to Australia I found a bar in the heights that should be in the legend books - it was a shack no lie a tiny shack and on Sunday nights they played the best Blues ever - The Reddy
Room what the hell happened to that place. Where I live in Oz on the Gold Coast we are very lucky that Willy Reed lives here and plays once in awhile -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 02:35 PM

635 posts, read 1,704,269 times
Don't forget Fusion, Coco Loco, Metropolis, SABA, Elvia's Cantina/Havana, Mantra, The Gatsby, Club AM, Skybar

Old 06-28-2011, 05:12 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,481,951 times
Is Volcano still around (kind of West U'ish just inside Houston)? Went to a couple of great Nawlin Brass Band Jams there in the post-Katrina days.

Thanks for that Cardi's reference. I had forgotten all about that place from my youthful excessive days. That was the one on Bissonnet @ 59? I think it's a Chinese Buffet now!

You know the place that amazes me... Number's in Montrose. That place was rockin' years ago when I was still in college and it's still rockin' now with literally the kids of the 80's crowd.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
This was before Downing Street. There was also some sort of Biker Bar there too with this chick with one arm... Clockarm we called her. Good looking Blonde. She was the Door Greeter. Flames on Clockarm.

There was also the 8Ball, or Carwash, or something like that... I'll think of them eventually. Whenever I go into Freebirds, I can't help but think of the club that was in there prior to that.
I won't go in a bar or night club unless they've got a one-armed beautiful blonde door-person.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwood dreams View Post
Gallant Knight (last I heard, closed)
Club Sum
Shark Dance
J Larkins (clear lake)
Crush Bar
Club No Minor
Lizard Lounge
Emos
8-0s
Cars (Galveston)
Ocean Club
Volcano
Europa
Black Swan
Numbers
Prague
Orchid Lounge
The Turtle Club
JRs
South Beach
Ale House (still sad about that one)
Griffs
Ginger Man
Red Door
Bloncos
Tantra (giggle)

and of course,
La Strada Brunch

Oh... my... G*d, TANTRA! That is really a memory. I was just sort of hoppin' bars on the Richmond Strip 10 or 15 years ago and spotted this interesting little place, almost invisible a block behind the Strip and kind of obscured by Dave n' Busters as I recall. That was NOT your usual FratBoys n Coeds n Cover Bands Club, typical of the Richmond Strip. Almost had several heart attacks in the 3 or 4 hours it took to pull myself out of the place. Don't ask me what I saw. Oh, the horror...

Old 05-17-2012, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 15,931 times
The 70's apts on Gulfton were "Adult Only" complexes. But someone sued for discrimnating against children and they had to change it. KIDS RUIN EVERYTHING!

Also, don't forget Tanny's across the street from University of Houston!!

Old 05-17-2012, 06:25 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
marfreless was still around when I left Houston almost two years ago. Very interesting place...classic music and sofa's with low lighting.

Ocean club was fabulous too with a great buffet and a very striking place.... this was the location of Elan, which was featured in John Travolta's movie Urban Cowboy

Last edited by Johnhw2; 05-17-2012 at 06:39 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 07:55 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,214,982 times
Dowling street had a lot of clubs also in the 60s....

But my uncle to frequent clubs in the 80s near the dome and even earl campbell's club, the tyler rose off of fondren and west bellfort

main event, silks, the world famed,

Old 05-18-2012, 03:17 AM

56 posts, read 98,252 times
WOW! Some great memories here.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned Red Square...which I thought was a pretty popular place, maybe in the mid to late 90's? Wasn't this club 3 stories? Located downtown, if I recall. I never made it to this place sober

There are 2 clubs that I am really racking my brain trying to remember their names. Both were rather short lived and focused primarily on having an 80s night. I want to say they were open sometime around 2002-2005.

One was around the Westheimer/Montrose area. Maybe a block north of Westheimer. I remember once you entered you had to go up a flight of stairs where the dancefloor was. I believe during the day this was a restaurant/bar, and converted over to a club a few nights a week. There was also a huge patio. I vaguely remember the name of the club maybe being the address? Maybe on Fairview?

The other I am a little more foggy of its whereabouts. It was on Richmond I believe, somewhere along where the main strip was in the 90's. Maybe close to Tantra? This place was also a restaurant during the day. And I remember you had to walk through the unlit empty dining area to get to where the actual club was. Again, the club was only open maybe a day or 2 a week.

Anyone have any clue to the names of either of these places?

Last edited by funeral979; 05-18-2012 at 03:33 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funeral979 View Post
WOW! Some great memories here.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned Red Square...which I thought was a pretty popular place, maybe in the mid to late 90's? Wasn't this club 3 stories? Located downtown, if I recall. I never made it to this place sober

There are 2 clubs that I am really racking my brain trying to remember their names. Both were rather short lived and focused primarily on having an 80s night. I want to say they were open sometime around 2002-2005.

One was around the Westheimer/Montrose area. Maybe a block north of Westheimer. I remember once you entered you had to go up a flight of stairs where the dancefloor was. I believe during the day this was a restaurant/bar, and converted over to a club a few nights a week. There was also a huge patio. I vaguely remember the name of the club maybe being the address? Maybe on Fairview?

The other I am a little more foggy of its whereabouts. It was on Richmond I believe, somewhere along where the main strip was in the 90's. Maybe close to Tantra? This place was also a restaurant during the day. And I remember you had to walk through the unlit empty dining area to get to where the actual club was. Again, the club was only open maybe a day or 2 a week.

Anyone have any clue to the names of either of these places?
Are you thinking of Polyester's (sp?). I never went there, but I remember hearing about an 80's themed club on Richmond in the early 2000's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston