Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 04:39 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranmkp View Post

Dont forget the Catacombs - saw Zappa, ELO, Moby Grape, Byrds, Dead, Blue Cheer... man, that was a good time. Black Lights and sticky floors...
Moby Grape, whoa. I saw that band a few times. With their Pacific Northwest “Louie Louie” band
and southern California Surf band roots they were by the tightest and hardest rocking of the San Francisco hippie bands. Blue Cheer was arguably the first Heavy Metal band. I saw them open for the Airplane at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago and they smoked the Airplane, who were rambling and chaotic and not a very good live act.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 07:41 PM

82 posts, read 80,729 times
Anyone remember the La Bastille Club that was downtown in the 70's? Litttle place that had nationally known jazz artists. I used to go there with my co-workers at KPFT and got in free with my press pass. Those were the good old days

Old 09-16-2018, 08:35 AM

71 posts, read 77,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Oh... my... G*d, TANTRA! That is really a memory. I was just sort of hoppin' bars on the Richmond Strip 10 or 15 years ago and spotted this interesting little place, almost invisible a block behind the Strip and kind of obscured by Dave n' Busters as I recall. That was NOT your usual FratBoys n Coeds n Cover Bands Club, typical of the Richmond Strip. Almost had several heart attacks in the 3 or 4 hours it took to pull myself out of the place. Don't ask me what I saw. Oh, the horror...
Details, man, details! And pictures if you got 'em!

Old 03-14-2019, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 13,319 times
Anyone still paying any attention to this?

Old 05-07-2019, 03:56 PM

21 posts, read 42,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunjr View Post
...I think we all take ownership in some form of this Houston institution.
Amen to that! Always felt like "we" were the only couple of hundred people in a city of millions that knew about/appreciated the place. Remember the 5 cent all you can drink beer nights??

Old 05-07-2019, 03:58 PM

21 posts, read 42,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerc6 View Post
Anyone still paying any attention to this?
Yup...still get emails when someone responds from time to time

Old 02-02-2020, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 923 times
My club hopping heyday was 1978 to 1983. I just visited this year and cannot find any place I used to go. If anyone has addresses and names this old guy would truly appreciate it. I loved R and B, disco and rock and roll. Let me begin, I bought a new pair of shoes to replace my platforms and the sales guy, recommended a spot where several clubs were grouped together, I not sure where I was but they were near the Gulfton area. The club I ended up in. looked to be a redone Shoney's restaurant, or some kind of eatery. I remember I parked my XJ6 right at the front door, I tipped the doorman a Jackson and he said my ride would be safe there.. The joint was jumping, long story short I picked up very nice looking sister, she said she she was hungry, being new to town, I said tell me where. She took me to Harlow's, it was fabulous, the crowd was international. I wish I knew where it was located, even if it is gone. Sherry became my club guide, I remember the name Elan's, the Bombay bicycle club, one club we visited had backgammon tables, very nice. One name I remember was the Paseo, it was in an apt complex, by the Astrodome. The one club that really was off the chain was out west, it was huge, had a multi lit dance floor, and a fog machine. I think it was on Gessner but I could be wrong. If anyone can fill in some blanks, I would be eternally grateful.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:15 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,660 times
"Slugs" in the early 1970's. It wasn't far from where I lived on Portsmouth street in those days.

Old 02-12-2020, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,133 times
Does anyone remember the beach club on 1960 Kuykendahl.

Old 02-20-2020, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,331 times
Red face Cinderella Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
As Washington Ave. is the "it" place right now, I have to wonder what will happen to the area when the upscale crowd goes elsewhere as historically they always move on to the next hot spot leaving the current to fall to disarray. Will it become a blighted area as most of the "clubby" areas of the past have.

Who Remembers:

The hot place at one time is now the area referred to as the Gulfton Ghetto. Then the hot place became Westheimer from the Galleria to Augusta and then again at Gessner/Westheimer

Then came the Richmond Strip

Then Downtown - shortlived as a hot place
Then Midtown - still has it's share of nightlife but not an overwhelming presence that usually leaves an area blighted when it disappears
Presently Washington Avenue

Some of these were from my underage drinking days and some before my nightlife days........

Crazy Banana
The Orchard Club on Glenmont
Bonaparte's Retreat
Barbary Coast
Ciao
Studabakers
The Fox Club
Cooters
Todds (Richmond)
Xanadu
The Place on Woodway
Genesis
Uncle Sams aka U.S. Disco
Annabelles
Squeeze Box
Todds (Clear Lake)
The Atrium Club (Clear Lake)
Definitely remember some. Those were the Days! Does anyone remember the Cinderella Club whose manage was Joe Orlando?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston