Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:50 PM

913 posts, read 4,343,993 times

Advertisements

Is there a Section 8 Housing (or Welfare/refugee/social aid, etc.) in/around Sugar Land?

The North (airport area) and East of Sugar Land looks scary to me in particular.

Where could one find a list of Section 8 Housing in Houston area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 10:40 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
I don't think you'll see any until you go way up to the 77083 zip of Houston, near the Westpark.
There was a developer last year who wanted to build one close to Sugar Land, but got shut down by area residents and elected officials. The Sugar Land area is pretty tight-knit and against more high-density housing.

The Airport area is fine. But you'll have to be more specific.

East of Sugar Land is Stafford, Meadows Place, Missouri City? So not sure which you're referring to...

Old 02-12-2010, 04:37 PM

North of SL I am referring to is anything to the North of the airport: Oak Lake, Park Pointe. And some to the North East.

I agree that it is not as bad as 77083, but not as good as other SL areas eaither.

East of SL is Sugar Crossing, Stafford Oaks, Lexington Settlement, etc. It is an old deteriorating community facing the fwy 90 and a more mixed communities across it (Stafford too).

How mixed is Missouri City? I have an impression it has some Chapter 8 in the southern parts.

quote=AK123;12870987]I don't think you'll see any until you go way up to the 77083 zip of Houston, near the Westpark.
There was a developer last year who wanted to build one close to Sugar Land, but got shut down by area residents and elected officials. The Sugar Land area is pretty tight-knit and against more high-density housing.

The Airport area is fine. But you'll have to be more specific.

East of Sugar Land is Stafford, Meadows Place, Missouri City? So not sure which you're referring to...[/quote]

Old 02-12-2010, 05:26 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
Be careful and check good for availability. Sugarland residents don't particularly care to have section 8 housing (or its residents) in their community. When you find some you like, you can always post the area and people on the forum can gladly tell you what kind of area that is for safe living.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behtypa View Post
North of SL I am referring to is anything to the North of the airport: Oak Lake, Park Pointe. And some to the North East.
Those are all perfectly fine. Village of Oak Lake, Park Pointe, and south of there. If you're already looking in that area I assume it's because you are priced out of the "best" parts of Sugar Land, so....
All or most of that is zoned to Austin High, which ranks #2 in Fort Bend after Clements. Great bang for your buck in that school zone. The only drawback to that area is that it's not in city of Sugar Land city limits.

I don't know what you mean by northeast of there; that would be Aliana I think. Aliana is a master-planned community.

Quote:
I agree that it is not as bad as 77083, but not as good as other SL areas eaither.
77083 is a totally different animal. It's Houston/Mission Bend. Really not much comparison; the schools are nowhere near as good for one thing.

Quote:
East of SL is Sugar Crossing, Stafford Oaks, Lexington Settlement, etc. It is an old deteriorating community facing the fwy 90 and a more mixed communities across it (Stafford too).
If good schools and avoiding cheap apartments are important to you, I'd look at the northern Sugar Land areas you first mentioned over anything in Stafford (Stafford ISD).

Old 02-12-2010, 08:41 PM

410 posts, read 1,495,044 times
You can go to www.gosection8.com this is a current listing of units that people are trying to lease up and want to put on the program. It won't show people currently living in units that are occupied by Section 8 clients but the one's that are trying to be occupied.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I don't know what you mean by northeast of there; that would be Aliana I think.
I meant northwest, not northeast.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Those are all perfectly fine. Village of Oak Lake, Park Pointe, and south of there. If you're already looking in that area I assume it's because you are priced out of the "best" parts of Sugar Land, so....
All or most of that is zoned to Austin High, which ranks #2 in Fort Bend after Clements. Great bang for your buck in that school zone. The only drawback to that area is that it's not in city of Sugar Land city limits.

I don't know what you mean by northeast of there; that would be Aliana I think. Aliana is a master-planned community.

77083 is a totally different animal. It's Houston/Mission Bend. Really not much comparison; the schools are nowhere near as good for one thing.

If good schools and avoiding cheap apartments are important to you, I'd look at the northern Sugar Land areas you first mentioned over anything in Stafford (Stafford ISD).

Thank you. I am actually looking into a New Territory area and a bit concerned of it neighboring communities to the North and North east (did not see North West yet)

Old 02-13-2010, 05:51 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,109 times
Quote:

How mixed is Missouri City? I have an impression it has some Chapter 8 in the southern parts.

What? I'm curious to know what you're talking about as far as Southern Missouri City. Southern Missouri City is actually the more "upscale" part (i.e. Riverstone, Sienna). The "rough" parts of Mo. City are primarily Hunter's Glen, Fonmeadow and areas bordering Houston and Fifth Street (which is unincorporated, but in Stafford's ETJ). Also, for what's its worth Mo. City has very strict city ordinances against apartments and high-density residential development. When Mo. City grew in the '80s, they saw what happened to nearby Fondren and its apartments and didn't want that situation to happen in their community. To my knowledge, there are actually more apartments in Sugar Land, than in Mo. City, however, the ones in SL are well-maintained. Missouri City often gets a bad rap as it's fairly black, but I think its a fine community overall. My family actually prefers shopping at the Mo. City Wal-Mart over the Sugar Land one.

(Lived in Quail Run from birth to '93 and First Colony afterwards)

Last edited by Alphalogica; 02-13-2010 at 06:24 PM..

Old 02-13-2010, 05:59 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,109 times
Quote:
Exactly right. I brought that to light in a previous thread.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 02-13-2010 at 06:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston