Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:33 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Humidity is the BIG problem from what it sounds like in Houston. The other are the Republicans and oil companies who "obviously" don't see their fellow houstonians welfare as priority. Didn't the city planners realize that not everyone likes to or can afford a car? They should have realized that people need to get to work and school as well as have reliable and efficient transportation.

Given the strength of the States economy it makes no sense. What's the Mayor's position on this? By the way, I hope you're kidding when you said busses run "once an hour."
I doubt its an hour. Me and my friends use to ride the bus all the time in Alief. We would wait like fifteen-twenty minutes tops. Mayor White wants rail, he just doesn't have access to federal funding. Once Culberson leaves, I am betting a lot of the BRT routes will switch to LRT. The BRT routes are already being built in their own dedicated lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 03:40 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
That was true for where I lived seven or eight years ago when I last rode the bus. I'm sure service has improved by now.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:56 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,567,566 times
Haven't lived in Houston since 2003, but 22 years there, and, unless major changes have happened with the transportation system, there is NO WAY I could have lived there without a car. There are no roaming cabs like in NYC, Chicago and DC. You have to call one and HOPE it shows up.
Unless you want to live on the short 7.5 miles rail line, you will be taking the bus. If I HAD to, I could do anything; but be prepared to stand outside waiting for that bus to appear on those nice humid, Godawful days of Houston. Nope, not for me. Thanks.
And I seriously doubt Houston public transportation runs 24 hours, too. Another consideration.
I would not move here if I did not have a car. Just my two cents from having lived there.
Remember Houston is the BIGGEST city landwise in America. There would be so much track to lay that it will take them forever to build the rail lines out. This is one big city, and alot bigger than L.A.
Houston was talking about rail when I got there in 1982, and it took them something like 20 years to build. It got old and sickening. I wouldn't even get excited when they talked about it on tv after a few years. And I would not hold my breath about having rail done in 3-4 years for all over Houston.
20 years to get 7.5 miles.....puh-lease!!!
Move to another city if you don't have a car.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:03 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,278 times
Wow...I didn't realize it was that bad. I wonder why so many people "who live there" say the opposite. The locals feel the buss system is excellent and the rail will be built soon, apparently the process has started. So you're saying that it's impossible to get around and thus live in Houston unless you have a car?

Old 05-31-2007, 04:22 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
You're getting different responses because there are millions of people in the Houston area so you're gonna get plenty of opinions based on people's own circumstances, preferences, and experiences. This is a large city. There is no single experience of it. As I stated before I would not want to live here without a car, but it is possible IF you live inside the Loop. The closer to downtown the better as that's where all the lines originate, plus you're in the center of everything, more or less. Again, I wouldn't advise you to live here carless because you'll be somewhat of an anomaly, but some people do it.

The 82 runs 24 hours, I think, or close to it. I don't know about other routes.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:17 PM

24 posts, read 113,798 times
It's doable, if you live and work near the rail... or can drop your car off at a park and ride, and take an express bus to work. Otherwise? Yes, it is essential to have a vehicle. So much of what there is to enjoy in Houston - you've got to have a car. With air conditioning.

This is one of the worst places in the country for public transportation. I lived without a car for more than two years and got around San Diego and LA without, so trust me on this. Public transit basically does not exist at all in Galveston or Brazoria counties, other than a bus line on the island itself (which means huge chunk of the fast-growing county has no buses, no trains, nada). There are some walkable neighborhoods, but will you want to walk or wait much in 95 or 100 degree weather? We enjoy walking and wish we'd known before we came, so we could have picked a better neighborhood for our rental.

I'd suggest coming down with a car. If you love to walk or ride the rail, pick your neighborhood carefully.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Haven't lived in Houston since 2003, but 22 years there, and, unless major changes have happened with the transportation system, there is NO WAY I could have lived there without a car. There are no roaming cabs like in NYC, Chicago and DC. You have to call one and HOPE it shows up.
Unless you want to live on the short 7.5 miles rail line, you will be taking the bus. If I HAD to, I could do anything; but be prepared to stand outside waiting for that bus to appear on those nice humid, Godawful days of Houston. Nope, not for me. Thanks.
And I seriously doubt Houston public transportation runs 24 hours, too. Another consideration.
I would not move here if I did not have a car. Just my two cents from having lived there.
Remember Houston is the BIGGEST city landwise in America. There would be so much track to lay that it will take them forever to build the rail lines out. This is one big city, and alot bigger than L.A.
Houston was talking about rail when I got there in 1982, and it took them something like 20 years to build. It got old and sickening. I wouldn't even get excited when they talked about it on tv after a few years. And I would not hold my breath about having rail done in 3-4 years for all over Houston.
20 years to get 7.5 miles.....puh-lease!!!
Move to another city if you don't have a car.
It's not the biggest city landwise in the U.S. There are two cities in the 48 states, Jacksonville and OKC, that are bigger than it. I won't include Alaska, because they have a few cities up there that are even bigger.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
It's doable, if you live and work near the rail... or can drop your car off at a park and ride, and take an express bus to work. Otherwise? Yes, it is essential to have a vehicle. So much of what there is to enjoy in Houston - you've got to have a car. With air conditioning.

This is one of the worst places in the country for public transportation. I lived without a car for more than two years and got around San Diego and LA without, so trust me on this. Public transit basically does not exist at all in Galveston or Brazoria counties, other than a bus line on the island itself (which means huge chunk of the fast-growing county has no buses, no trains, nada). There are some walkable neighborhoods, but will you want to walk or wait much in 95 or 100 degree weather? We enjoy walking and wish we'd known before we came, so we could have picked a better neighborhood for our rental.

I'd suggest coming down with a car. If you love to walk or ride the rail, pick your neighborhood carefully.
Galveston Island does have on of the oldest Heritage trolley's in America. You can get around on the island.

Blame the leaders of Brazoria County for not getting mass transit down there. They are building an transit station down there, though. Fort Bend has buses.

I can't believe a lot of people on here think rail is the only option for public transportation. Is it because buses don't look "cool". Houston has an extensive bus system. You can get around without a car. It is better to stay closer to Downtown though.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:00 AM

832 posts, read 3,853,682 times
I within a short walk to the park n ride here in Kingwood. Takes you right downtown

Old 06-16-2007, 08:56 AM

24 posts, read 113,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Galveston Island does have on of the oldest Heritage trolley's in America. You can get around on the island.

Blame the leaders of Brazoria County for not getting mass transit down there.
Yes, I did mention that the island had transit in that post. And yep, Brazoria County leaders really didn't plan well. One of the issues is that they have a certain amount of leeway with raising a portion of the sales tax. (The base rate for the state is 6.5%; a county can add on another 1-2%, and so can a city. So Houston's sales tax is 8.25%; a town in Galveston County might be 7.75%) They're at that limit; they have to find alternative ways of funding public transportation. Many of the other major Texas cities, like San Antonio, have an additional sales tax, maybe a .5 percentage, for "special transit districts", in order to pay for public transport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
I can't believe a lot of people on here think rail is the only option for public transportation. Is it because buses don't look "cool". Houston has an extensive bus system. You can get around without a car. It is better to stay closer to Downtown though.
Well, can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not anti-bus. I used to go to work by bus in southern California, hour and a half commute each way. More relaxing than taking a car.

However, Houston is MUCH more muggy and humid. Summer is not always the funnest time to wait for a bus in Southern California; it can be excruciating in Houston several months of the year.

The key difference between rail and bus is that buses, to work well in a sprawling American city, are decentralized. Rail lines tend to be centralized. With the rail, you have a more defined, more frequent schedule and a tighter core. With buses, you have more flexibility often about how far you can go, but the entire trip would take longer, and there might be fewer buses per hour. Taking three linked subway lines in a major city often takes less time than doing the same with a bus line, due to the way the routes are structured, time and location wise.

In a Houston summer - particularly for a newcomer unused to the heat, or spending time in heavily concrete parts of the city (where more of the sun's heat is retained, and temperatures are higher) - rail is going to be more comfortable and convenient. Express buses are great for commuting. But ordinary buses, unless they're on a very centralized, frequently scheduled core (like LA's "DASH" line), are not great for running every day errands of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston