Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:39 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memorialmom View Post
City Centre(yes spelled "centre") is almost complete now. It has great new restaurants/entertainment!
Flemings, Eddie V's, RA Sushi, Straits, Yard House, Studio Movie Grill
I really like the CityCentre concept/layout. 100x better than when it was T&C Mall. Yard House is fun. But wasn't too impressed with Studio Movie Grill... service wasn't good... they kept forgetting about us. And someone brought their crying 1-year old to a Sat night movie! I still say Alamo Drafthouse is better... it's not as well-located and an older venue, but the service is great, the food is better, the beer selection is awesome and no kids under 18 allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 01:16 PM

133 posts, read 480,723 times
Default Fancy Smancy

You'll be glad to know we've got some James Beard finalists in our midst too:
James Beard Award nominees! RDG + Bar Annie's, Goode Company, Stella Sola, Textile, Reef and Feast.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:45 PM

6 posts, read 11,216 times
Did you decide where to buy?

Old 02-22-2010, 05:53 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Royal Oaks is nice, but if I were going to spend two or three million it wouldn't be there, especially if surrounding areas are of a concern.

Older areas have a lot of new houses. People just find the location, tear down the house, and build a new one. It's a Houston thing I guess.

At that price point I would look more in River Oaks, Tanglewood or Memorial Villages.

Totally agree. While Royal Oaks maybe be newer, and a wall around it..the area that surrounds it is NOT high end nor desirable. There's a reason there is a wall.

But if you really want a wall, buy in Stablewood. Memorial, but not The Memorial Villages. Walk thorugh access to the Houstonian, the most elite spa and workout facility in Houston. It also has a golf club..but that's a little bit of a drive.
Tanglewood is in a high end area. Best bet is deep in Bunker Hill or Piney Point in the Memorial Villages. You don't need a wall there.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 02-22-2010 at 07:20 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 12:34 PM

564 posts, read 2,045,851 times
Quote:
But wasn't too impressed with Studio Movie Grill... service wasn't good... they kept forgetting about us.
I tend to agree about Studio Movie Grill. Overall, pretty disappointing. I'd rather go to the Edwards Cinema in Greenway Plaza.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:35 PM

41 posts, read 99,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSideWalk98177 View Post

Also - where are the good places to eat around Royal Oaks and what's the snake/spider situation??

I hate snakes AND spiders, so I realize this will require an adjustment. To be honest, I'm more concerned about this than I am about the weather.
There is no doubt about we do have snakes and spiders, some of them are even poisonous here in the greater Houston area. In some areas you might even see alligators. Always remember, leave them alone and most likely they will leave you alone.
But in the 20 years I have been living here the snakes or spiders never have really worried me.
If I was you I surely would be more concerned about the weather, the heat that is lasting for most time of the year, the high humidity, that some people do not get along with, the flood rains, the tropical storms and not to forget the chance for another lovely hurricane striking Houston. And still, I wouldn't wanna live any place else.
Welcome to Texas!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:38 PM

36 posts, read 110,324 times
I am jumping in late, sorry. Royal Oaks wouldn't make most people's top 20 lists. It is in an awkward place, and not near any freeway. If you look at a map, you'll see a tollroad right behind it, but there isn't an entrance for 8 miles. And the golf course sucks.

Here is my list of neighborhoods in descending rank of desirability, assuming you have kids:

West U/Southside
Tanglewood
Memorial
River Oaks

And, I have lived here all my life, I can remember a grass snake about 30 years ago, haven't seen one since. Spiders are around occasionally, sometimes in summer you can see a web with dew on it. I can't remember ever having a close encounter with a spider.

If you want unvarnished opinions of where to live, feel free to send me a private message. If you are going to drop more than six figures, Royal Oaks is not the place to live.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:59 AM

4 posts, read 18,440 times
SeattleSideWalk98177, thank you for posting this.

I'm currently in the same process, though my price range is significantly lower.

My husband, who grew up in the Houston area (Spring) said that the spiders and snakes aren't that big a deal, but the cockroaches are insane. Considering the entire time I've lived in Western WA, I've only seen a handful of bugs (other than mosquitoes and spiders), this scares the bejeezus out of me.

Now, for the rest of you: I have a five year old who will be starting Kindergarten in the fall. What would be a decent suburb for the $300-400k market? I think we're leaning toward the north end. I'm in the energy sector.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:53 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspudding View Post
SeattleSideWalk98177, thank you for posting this.

I'm currently in the same process, though my price range is significantly lower.

My husband, who grew up in the Houston area (Spring) said that the spiders and snakes aren't that big a deal, but the cockroaches are insane. Considering the entire time I've lived in Western WA, I've only seen a handful of bugs (other than mosquitoes and spiders), this scares the bejeezus out of me.

Now, for the rest of you: I have a five year old who will be starting Kindergarten in the fall. What would be a decent suburb for the $300-400k market? I think we're leaning toward the north end. I'm in the energy sector.

Energy Sector is located all over the city. Main areas include Downtown and the Energy Corridor. IF you are in the EC, then it's best to stay on the west side of the city. Even if you are Downtown, north to downtown is a PintheA! Kingwood in isn't bad though.NW in, is the pits for commuting anywhere down into Houston.

Your price range/public school education needs puts you out in a Master Planned Community, unless you are willing to put up with less square footage and bring a sledge hammer.And even then you are currently getting priced out quickly on the westside untill you reach Katy.

Good Luck to you and your search.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:44 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,917,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmizell View Post
If you look at a map, you'll see a tollroad right behind it, but there isn't an entrance for 8 miles.

Incorrect information. There is an eastbound entrance to the Westpark Tollway at West Houston Center (one block from the entrance to Royal Oaks) and the Westpark Tollway. The westbound entrance is one block further, at Dairy Ashford.

That said, for the money, I'd send the OP to River Oaks as well.

OP, it's like this: either you take one of the older places close-in in the choicest neighborhood in town (River Oaks), or you go way out to one of the Master Planned communities. Otherwise, you have to put up with the rest of the city surrounding you (and there are iffy areas near all of the nice neighborhoods, there are apartments everywhere whose inhabitants share grocery stores, drug stores, restaurants, etc, with you).

Houston doesn't feature zoning, and that's why it's like this. For folks like you, I recommend Dallas. There, you can live in an enclave of folks in your exact same demographic, miles and miles away from everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston