U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:29 PM

35 posts, read 86,249 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Houston and working downtown Houston. If anyone could give me some input if there is any different from EAST, WEST, NORTH and SOUTH Houston. Can you tell me anything.. best place to for schools, entertainment, commute, etc..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 02:36 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,182,662 times
That's a loaded question, and shortly reps from each side of town will weigh in with the cons of whatever side of town they don't live in. The thing about Houston is that there are good and bad areas on all sides of town, so it is probably easier for you to narrow down and describe what is most important to you, price range, (in)tolerance for commuting, etc., than to read postings of why Kingwood (NE side) is better than The Woodlands (N side), or why Clear Lake (SE side) is superior to Sugarland (SW side). Or have to suffer through us inner loopers going on about why living inside 610 is superior and not to listen to those outside the beltway.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:43 PM

12,506 posts, read 25,545,692 times
Geographically speaking...

East/Southeast sides - Very industrial, dirtier & grittier side of Houston, moderately forested, huge Hispanic presence.

North/Northwest/Northeast sides - Less crime, cleaner, highly forested, more white folks

West/Southwest sides - Very diverse, semi forested & flat open prairie the further west of the Beltway you go.

Southside - Coastal plains, flooding is an issue especially on 288, booming growth & good schools down in Pearland, South Houston from downtown to the 610 Loop is majority Black.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:58 PM

35 posts, read 86,249 times
[SIZE=3]Population wise.. were do most people live.[/SIZE]

Old 02-22-2010, 02:59 PM

356 posts, read 861,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Geographically speaking...

East/Southeast sides - Very industrial, dirtier & grittier side of Houston, moderately forested, huge Hispanic presence.

North/Northwest/Northeast sides - Less crime, cleaner, highly forested, more white folks

West/Southwest sides - Very diverse, semi forested & flat open prairie the further west of the Beltway you go.

Southside - Coastal plains, flooding is an issue especially on 288, booming growth & good schools down in Pearland, South Houston from downtown to the 610 Loop is majority Black.
Some of this is just wrong!

For example, Greater Clear Lake area is in the SE and it is not industrial, dirty or mostly hispanic. I thought it was pretty diverse. Flooding is more of an issue in some parts of the greater Clear Lake area than in Pearland. Pearland schools are not as good as Friendwood or Clear Creek districts.

Some posts just aren't helpful.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:01 PM

8,373 posts, read 29,299,054 times
Center of population is towards the west.

And those descriptions above are broad generalizations. Acres Homes, Clear Lake, Greenspoint, Memorial and others do not fit those molds in the slightest.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist Mom View Post
Some of this is just wrong!

For example, Greater Clear Lake area is in the SE and it is not industrial, dirty or mostly hispanic. I thought it was pretty diverse. Flooding is more of an issue in some parts of the greater Clear Lake area than in Pearland. Pearland schools are not as good as Friendwood or Clear Creek districts.

Some posts just aren't helpful.
Someone from Pittsburgh trying to tell a Native Texan & Ex-Houstonian of 5 years how it is? You're too funny...

Old 02-22-2010, 03:11 PM

356 posts, read 861,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Someone from Pittsburgh trying to tell a Native Texan & Ex-Houstonian of 5 years how it is? You're too funny...
Just someone who lived in Houston for 14 years trying to tell how it is....but yeah, I may not be qualified...

Old 02-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Center of population is towards the west.

And those descriptions above are broad generalizations. Acres Homes, Clear Lake, Greenspoint, Memorial and others do not fit those molds in the slightest.
Yes

What I posted was a broad generalization as I'm way too busy to list every single community in the Houston Metro area. It would take me several days of my life which I don't have the time for right now since my grandfather is sick in the hospital & dying at this time.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:14 PM

2,271 posts, read 4,897,057 times
Another big problem with Houston: Neighborhoods are not well defined here, probably because they are so large. Chicago and NYC are big, but they have many more neighborhoods than Houston with less square mileage and NYC is defined by its boroughs. My point: You really can't say East, West, North, or South Houston without getting flack from someone. "South Houston" is actually it's own city. Houston also has a couple of island cities/villages just to make things more confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston