Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:43 PM

345 posts, read 1,078,081 times

Advertisements

I'd say write a list of ALL the things you'd like in a city in which to live and pick the one that comes out on top. I moved to the Houston area from the Chicago area and no, you can't compare the two where race is concerned. I'm not going to say I didn't experience a little culture shock, but if you work hard you can make it anywhere. I've found that people down here are really nice regardless of race, creed or color. Best wishes to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Great post!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:29 PM

200 posts, read 449,275 times
I was thinking of either staying in Atlanta, or moving to Houston, Dallas, or Raleigh-Durham. Im originally from the midwest and have found Atlanta to be a nice city and metro overall, but a little over-hyped. The only other city I have visited on my list was Houston and loved the diversity of the city. Although Houston's heat is miserable, flood and hurricane prone, and ugly....Im not sure but I have the itch to move again...

Im thinking of the big Texas cities because they are "recession proof" and have strong black culture and are filled with other cultures besides the white/black thing you have in the Midwest and in Atlanta for the most part.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:31 PM

Houston!

Old 11-14-2010, 09:23 AM

6 posts, read 21,390 times
Hello, I lived in Atlanta for 9 years. I'm not sure about the film industry but perhaps you could try it there since the entertainment and film industry is growing there. I would set a time frame for how long you would want to live there otherwise, you could spend a lot more time being there than what you planned.

Having lived there myself for so long "And" talking to plenty of other women who live there as well...I will tell you this.... No Matter what your age group in ATL...it is Extremely Difficult to find men who want to be in a Committed and One-on-One Relationship. I Don't just say that because of the Down Low Men...but I say that because there are a lot of decent and professional men there that does NOT want a serious relationship because their so many women and they don't want to commit to a relationship. A lot of the guys prefer having Plenty of women in their company but with No Real Commitment. This is Good for you to know going there because if you don't know the Inside Scoop because you don't live there...you will think....WOW! so many people to chose from but still wondering years later why are you still single when living in ATL.

On the flip side, you might go there find a great career in film and you could meet someone very nice that you're compatible with and every could go Great and could have much success! It's good to look at Both sides of the coin. Pray about it and then listen to your inner voice about what direction you should take.

God Bless and Wishing You the Best!

Old 11-15-2010, 07:35 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2011 View Post
Hello, I lived in Atlanta for 9 years. I'm not sure about the film industry but perhaps you could try it there since the entertainment and film industry is growing there. I would set a time frame for how long you would want to live there otherwise, you could spend a lot more time being there than what you planned.

Having lived there myself for so long "And" talking to plenty of other women who live there as well...I will tell you this.... No Matter what your age group in ATL...it is Extremely Difficult to find men who want to be in a Committed and One-on-One Relationship. I Don't just say that because of the Down Low Men...but I say that because there are a lot of decent and professional men there that does NOT want a serious relationship because their so many women and they don't want to commit to a relationship. A lot of the guys prefer having Plenty of women in their company but with No Real Commitment. This is Good for you to know going there because if you don't know the Inside Scoop because you don't live there...you will think....WOW! so many people to chose from but still wondering years later why are you still single when living in ATL.

On the flip side, you might go there find a great career in film and you could meet someone very nice that you're compatible with and every could go Great and could have much success! It's good to look at Both sides of the coin. Pray about it and then listen to your inner voice about what direction you should take.

God Bless and Wishing You the Best!
Here we go again with the "there are no good men who want a committed relationship" crap.
There are plenty of good men around.
The problem is a lot of you women go chasing the guys who want to play the field while ignoring the guys who want relationships because you find them "boring" or because they are "not a challenge".

Old 11-16-2010, 04:02 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I second this.

There are some magazines and lists that hype up the Texas cities way too much and give some the wrong idea. The best city general lists do it with Austin, and the best citiess for blacks lists do it with Houston. Houston is nothing like Atlanta or DC or Chicago as far as blacks culture and influence. Just look at the society pages for these cities... in those other cities you will see plenty of blacks on those, but in Houston that crowd is predominantly white. No offense to anyone, it's just the way it is. Even Dallas has a slightly higher % of blacks than Houston. Too many magazines and some people hype it up on this when it's not really true. That's great if you're black and you like Houston, but don't try to pawn it off as if it's anything remotely close to Atlanta or DC or Chicago or a lot of other places for this. Only a few short decades ago it was still a very white city.

Sorry for my rant, just lots of these weird posts in the Texas forums lately.
LMAOOOOOOOOOO...really??
I know this is old but I still have to respond to it..So basically your admitting your a sheep and a conformist? Thats whats hot in the streets now to blindfully follow society pages? Like what idiot bases the vibe of a city based on magazines?? Nevermind the fact that when speaking on some of the best places for African Americans to live in Houston has always been top10 or top 5. A Few short decades ago Houston had a larger black population then Atlanta...believe it or not..and each city with a large black population has it's own unique vibe..Houston is not lacking with a black population by any means..trust that..matter fact the fact that people buy into these sterotypes about Texas or Houston get a real rude awakening when they actually visit the city..and Houston a white city?? LMAO...Houston is a big diversied city my man..and it's a diversied spread out city..you say Dallas has a bigger percentage of blacks then Houston..but Dallas has a higher percentage of Whites then Houston..and Houston has a bigger black population then Dallas...Houston has more variety n higher percentages..not to mention I run into a ton of black ppl from Chicago and other areas outside of Texas who love the black culture in Houston

Old 11-17-2010, 06:46 AM

I love your post, Redlionjr! I'm so glad that people lookd at Houston as being a black city, as well. DIVERSTY!

How does Atlantans feel about Houston's black culture?

Old 11-17-2010, 09:30 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Why are people acting like Houston just recently got black people??? We've been one of the top cities for African Americans for a LOOOOOONG time now. It's just that Houstonians don't go around gloating about it (Like ATliens). Houston is a city for everyone and caters to all races.

If you want a city with a thriving Black culture; Houston has it. However, if your looking for a city that caters only to blacks; try Atlanta.

Honestly, I don't think ATLiens give a damn about Houston and its black culture and vice versa. Why should they???

Old 11-17-2010, 11:11 AM

Well, since Atlanta is a "black mecca," which I don't think it should derserve nor claim, I just wonder how people from there viewed Houston since Houston is really getting out to the public its opportunties for blacks. Just saying because Atlanta has overshadowed many other cities unneccessarily when it comes to African American opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston