Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:01 PM

18 posts, read 22,795 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I live in an apartment in the Galleria Area and are looking to buy a home. I work in the Heights, just north of Memorial and he works in Greenspoint. He also could end up working in Spring at some point. We are looking for a home between $150,000 and $200,000 and we would like to have at least a small yard. We would like a newer construction. Our ideal area would be easily walkable with nice retail and restaurants close by. Schools are somewhat of a factor as we would like to start a family in the next few years. I would like to keep my commute as short as possible but realize this will be difficult (approximately 30 minutes would be wonderful!). I know these are high expectations but what do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 09:26 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Recommendation number one is you are going to have to get more realistic. I'm sorry but I think you are way off.

You would have trouble meeting ALL that criteria at literally double your price range. Now someone will come on here and tell you that you can commute from this or that suburb to the Heights in 30 minutes during rush hour. Don't believe it.

If you want newer construction and good schools in that price range, you are going to have to move farther out. Farther than a 30 minute commute that is for sure.

If you want the shorter commute and that price range, it is doubtful you will get good schools. You might find a foreclosure town home that is newer, but not in a good school district for that price. Most of what you will find within the commuting parameters will be older though.

Add in the walkable environment and good retail and you are veering into the "people in hell want ice water" department.

If price range is fixed, which it normally is, you are going to have to prioritize that list. You are going to have to give some items up.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:31 PM

75 posts, read 225,827 times
I think your criteria makes it a little difficult to narrow down. The Heights can be pricey for a small home older homes and you want newer construction so that's out. There is nothing good along 45 between 610 and Beltway 8 to Greenspoint. Only area I can see that may work is Spring. But 45 commute can be bad depending on work hours.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 PM

221 posts, read 611,441 times
If you want to live in Houston city limits try Contemporary Garden homes. They sell brand new houses in transitional areas.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Recommendation number one is you are going to have to get more realistic. I'm sorry but I think you are way off.

You would have trouble meeting ALL that criteria at literally double your price range. Now someone will come on here and tell you that you can commute from this or that suburb to the Heights in 30 minutes during rush hour. Don't believe it.

If you want newer construction and good schools in that price range, you are going to have to move farther out. Farther than a 30 minute commute that is for sure.

If you want the shorter commute and that price range, it is doubtful you will get good schools. You might find a foreclosure town home that is newer, but not in a good school district for that price. Most of what you will find within the commuting parameters will be older though.

Add in the walkable environment and good retail and you are veering into the "people in hell want ice water" department.

If price range is fixed, which it normally is, you are going to have to prioritize that list. You are going to have to give some items up.

Thanks for the advice, I knew I wouldn't be able to get all of what I want but maybe I didn't realize how far off I was. If I am looking for new construction in a nice neighborhood with nice retail and restaurants (but not necessarily walkable) and am willing to go further out, where would you recommend?

Old 02-25-2010, 11:07 AM

I think you will be the one stuck with the commute while hubby gets off easy. Between the expensive "in town" options and areas north of Cypress Creek, there is nothing of interest for you. The Klein area would offer the newer homes and decent retail offerings.

I don't think it would benefit you to go northeast towards the Fall Creek & Summerwood areas if your husband is going to end up in Spring. That would just produce a commute for both of you and retail is very weak in the area. Same thing (regarding commutes) going towards Cypress. Then you just end up with both of you having to drive and drive. Now if he stays in Greenspoint the northeast beltway places might be an option, but again, you would have to wait for retail to catch up.

I would stick more due north in the Klein school district, north of Cypress Creek. Being closer to 45 where you could have the other option of the Hardy Toll road would help a lot. I lived in Ponderosa Forest at one time and commuted to Washington and Wescott area. The Hardy Autobahn made it somewhat tolerable.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:54 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,789 times
Why don't you consider changing jobs so that you work on the northside?

Old 02-25-2010, 05:16 PM

What about Humble and Atascocita? What do y'all think about that? With regard to changing jobs, I love my job too much for that! I'd much rather commute.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:44 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
I was thinking the Summerwood/Falling Creek area might be a good compromise. NE of town around the Beltway.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialworker3 View Post
What about Humble and Atascocita? What do y'all think about that? With regard to changing jobs, I love my job too much for that! I'd much rather commute.
That would be okay for the time your husband is at Greenspoint, but if he moves his job to Spring, it is a pretty lumbering commute over to Spring from Atascocita. Why bother? Just move to Spring. Your commute would be similar but you wouldn't be paying two huge gasoline bills and running both cars into the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: