Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2010, 02:07 PM

739 posts, read 2,253,435 times

Advertisements

I live by Louetta rd. I found a baby rattle snake in my house I was on the phone with my dad I put it in a box and let it go outside.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 05:51 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,182,476 times
Yes, we lots of snakes in Texas.

It's just a way of life.... I have had 2 in my house.... 4 or 5 in my yard....I got one out of my neighbors house for her one day.. Shot a big one in her front yard one year.......And these are just the ones we have seen, I'm sure there were plenty more.

Three out of all of them were poisonous...

There will always be snakes around water...

Forgot, I killed another big one in the other neighbors backyard last summer..

Old 03-06-2010, 09:33 PM

433 posts, read 1,921,849 times
There a snake that lives in the bayou near my son's school. We see it almost every day sunning itself on the rocks below the pedestrian bridge.. It is about 4 ft. long, and is brownish with a darker pattern. Sometimes it slithers into the water and swims away. What kind would this be?

Old 03-07-2010, 10:12 AM

163 posts, read 667,605 times
I am actually having a problem this year with snakes down in Seabrook for some reason.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:24 AM

56 posts, read 124,732 times
To the original question about snakes and properties near George Bush Park: GBP is huge, and for the most part, functions as a water retention area. (Addicks Reservoir is in the NE section of the park.) When we get a lot of rain, the park floods and Buffalo Bayou comes wayyy out of its banks.
So... it's wet a lot of the time. As a result, there are lots and lots of critters like snakes. Also alligators. I hike in there all the time, and I always always see at least a couple of snakes (usually cottonmouths).

OTOH, every bayou out here in this area (even far from the large parks) has a "Caution" sign where it meets (and goes under) the road, reminding folks of snakes and alligators -- and the bayous are everywhere. Thus, so are the critters. Being near GBP isn't the issue.

That said -- the vast majority of snakes that you'll see are harmless.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:05 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,188,330 times
Default Snake bite photos

WARNING: Grapic pictures

My son wanted to know how snakes bite, and so I was going to show him some snake photos, and came across this! I was reminded of this thread, and thought I'd post it.

This was a Western Diamond Back... we don't (should not) have those here.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:54 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,713,176 times
We've lived in west Houston/Katy area, near Barker Cypress and in Sugarland. We saw a few small snakes in both areas. That said, we've lived in other parts of the state, including the arrid parts of west Texas, the DFW area, a well as Oklahoma, and we have had snakes everywhere. Usually we have found them under the bushes, or mulch in flowerbeds. The scariest was while we were living in west Texas, in a lovely neighbhorhood in the middle of town. I opened the front door one morning and there was a baby rattlesnake curled up on my doormat. What scared me most was that it was a baby, which of course means it has a mom and little brothers and sisters somewhere nearby.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:10 PM

739 posts, read 2,253,435 times
Why are you people so afraid of snakes? A lot of snakes are cute. There is a garter snake and a big cottonmouth that live in the creek behind my subdivision and they eat mice and rats. If you leave them alone they will leave you alone. Rattle snakes give you warning before they bite. 1st they look at you and rattle. Then they open their mouth and show you their fangs. If you keep messing with them they will strike at you. If you still mess with them they will finally bite.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:05 PM

17 posts, read 35,466 times
How bad are the brown recluse spiders??? I live in southeastern misery(missouri) and they are everywhere! We are looking to come to the Katy area soon. I used to live in Fresno when I was younger and dont remember much about that. Just lots of fire ants(firecrackers!! BIG FIRECRACKERS!!) and ball bats or golf clubs or whatever we could find to destroy the mounds quickly and git-gone...he he he...anyway... Is it still as clean as I remember there?? Mo. is just full of litterbugs. I hate trash...and everyone still sooooooo friendly??? I cant wait to get back there.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:25 PM

739 posts, read 2,125,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Yes, we lots of snakes in Texas.

It's just a way of life.... I have had 2 in my house.... 4 or 5 in my yard....I got one out of my neighbors house for her one day.. Shot a big one in her front yard one year.......And these are just the ones we have seen, I'm sure there were plenty more.

Three out of all of them were poisonous...

There will always be snakes around water...

Forgot, I killed another big one in the other neighbors backyard last summer..
Houaton 3, Where do you live? I want to make sure I don't move in your neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: