Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:55 PM

162 posts, read 554,124 times

Advertisements

and i dont just mean clubbing/drinking.
I moved here recently from South Dakota, and i am a night owl. I dont get up too early and ive always enjoyed nights more. I know everywhere in the world has bars and nightclubs. and thats cool sometimes, but im not huge into that. It seems like Houston shuts down really early. Which has been very disappointing to me. It seems like a city the size of houston would have more options.
Yesterday i went to a record store and got there at 7:05 and found they were already closed up. I went to check out a couple pawn shops last week around 7:30 and found most closed up at 7, after passing about 6 of them i finally pulled up to one that was open, but it closed at 8 and by then it was already 7:50. Seems like most restaurants close up around 9, and even ones advertising "open late" stay open until maybe 11. My wife and i went to check out an arcade at 9:30 and they were closing up. The go kart track, closed at 8. Agora coffee shop advertises open late til ~2, but i went twice at around 12:30 or 1 and they were closed, or closing.

The small town in South Dakota that i lived in had more 24 hr. or late night opportunities. even there there were midnight or 2am showings at the movie theater, and not just on release night.

I wanted to start this thread in hopes of making it a late night catch all. Where people can post or suggest where they go/have gone late, for entertainment/food/shopping/whatever. I dont mind driving a ways either.
I know the standard fast food like jack in the box. And there is always chachos, or a few other mexican places open all night.

I googled searched 24 hour restaurants, but found that over half of the results are closed down. (is there a 24 hr subway anywhere? my wife loves subway, and we had one attached to a truck stop that was 24 hours before and she misses that).

For those of you who are up late what do you guys do, or where do you go when its midnight or 2 am and you wanna get out of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 05:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeeveryoneelse View Post
and i dont just mean clubbing/drinking.
I moved here recently from South Dakota, and i am a night owl. I dont get up too early and ive always enjoyed nights more. I know everywhere in the world has bars and nightclubs. and thats cool sometimes, but im not huge into that. It seems like Houston shuts down really early. Which has been very disappointing to me. It seems like a city the size of houston would have more options.
Yesterday i went to a record store and got there at 7:05 and found they were already closed up. I went to check out a couple pawn shops last week around 7:30 and found most closed up at 7, after passing about 6 of them i finally pulled up to one that was open, but it closed at 8 and by then it was already 7:50. Seems like most restaurants close up around 9, and even ones advertising "open late" stay open until maybe 11. My wife and i went to check out an arcade at 9:30 and they were closing up. The go kart track, closed at 8. Agora coffee shop advertises open late til ~2, but i went twice at around 12:30 or 1 and they were closed, or closing.

The small town in South Dakota that i lived in had more 24 hr. or late night opportunities. even there there were midnight or 2am showings at the movie theater, and not just on release night.

I wanted to start this thread in hopes of making it a late night catch all. Where people can post or suggest where they go/have gone late, for entertainment/food/shopping/whatever. I dont mind driving a ways either.
I know the standard fast food like jack in the box. And there is always chachos, or a few other mexican places open all night.

I googled searched 24 hour restaurants, but found that over half of the results are closed down. (is there a 24 hr subway anywhere? my wife loves subway, and we had one attached to a truck stop that was 24 hours before and she misses that).

For those of you who are up late what do you guys do, or where do you go when its midnight or 2 am and you wanna get out of the house.
You have lots of 24 hour places in Houston; you just have to know where to look. What area do you stay in???

Old 03-05-2010, 05:08 PM

westheimer/beltway 8.
but like i said, i dont mind going a distance.

i know there is dennys and ihop for food nearby thats 24hrs. and a starbucks in the galleria thats 24hrs. but i would like to try to find more off the radar stuff. maybe locally owned places. or just someplace less cookie cutter if possible. and not just food either.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:13 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
I've been places where I'd be lucky to even have IHOP.

House of Pies. Katz's. Ruchi's.....aw hell, how about a link with a list?

B4-U-EAT - 24-Hour Restaurants Houston Texas Restaurant & Dining Guide

Old 03-05-2010, 05:23 PM

ive been places where there wasnt even an ihop too.....but none of those places had 4 million people in it.

i called a few of those on the list the other night and they were closed, or the number had been disconnected. Never tried Ruchi's. ill have to do that sometime.

any other suggestions other than dining?

Old 03-05-2010, 05:26 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
House of Pies on Westheimer between Fountainview and Hilcroft/Voss.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:33 PM

i been to house of pies. will never go back. They charged a friend of mine to sit there.
Even though the other 3 ordered and she wasnt hungry, they charge a "sitting fee" if you dont order. It was 3am. the place was NOT packed. so we werent taking up needed space, and other ordered she was just along for the ride and company.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:04 PM

First of all, you're in Westchase which is pretty much a suburban office park on steroids with some apartments scattered around. Yes, it's in the city limits but it doesn't matter much. Everything is chains around there.

Second, while this is a large city, it's not quite like NYC or Vegas where everything's going all night. That said, you do have options.

House of Pies probably has that so it doesn't just become a hangout for bums/drunk people.

Ruchi's is pretty average IMO but not too bad at all for late night, and when you're drunk, anything tastes good.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
First of all, you're in Westchase which is pretty much a suburban office park on steroids with some apartments scattered around. Yes, it's in the city limits but it doesn't matter much. Everything is chains around there.

Second, while this is a large city, it's not quite like NYC or Vegas where everything's going all night. That said, you do have options.
there are probably 10 local/independent shops for every chain in the westchase district. unfortunately they close very early.

well like i said, i dont mind driving. so im certainly not limited to the westchase area. at night without traffic downtown, sugarland, missouri city is only 15 minutes away. cypress is 20.

so i do have options, but what are they? other than a few dining places, those are the only options that have been mentioned. and im new here, so finding out about an ihop nearby isnt hard. finding other stuff can be...

are there 24 hr grocery stores here? ive asked a few people who have said "yes, but i cant remember where" the heb, kroger, and randalls by me all close at midnight or 1. phoenicia closes earlier.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:26 PM

Don't know about over there, but the closest 24 hour grocery store to me is Kroger on South Post Oak/West Bellfort. I pass a gas station that's open around the clock on the way there. There's a Wal-Mart on Dunvale off Westheimer which isn't too far from you.

I don't know where you can get bull penis after hours either. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston