Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 06:42 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I'm so glad I'm Norwegian. Nobody ever talks **** about Norwegians.
My grandmother is half Norwegian, half Italian. That makes me what, one-third?

Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightsofar View Post
A whole world of Disneyworlds - now that's scary.

I used to think that it was the Walmarting of America going on - I guess it's the Walmarting of the World. Remember Wall-E - where the whole world had been taken over by a Walmart-like company?

I will never forget being in gorgeous Venice, turning a corner and seeing a .......Burger King. Sorta spoiled the day.
Yeah I would never want any place to turn into Disneyland, if it had it's on deep rooted culture that is. Houston is one place I really hope doesn't become this way.

The Venice thing is a prime example. But, money talks. I would hate to see something like that there. The whole reason I would go there is so I could get some real food that was actually cooked. Not some frozen patty in some tacky restaurant. Wait 20 years from now. I often wonder what will happen to Greece if it goes under. One of my thoughts was the chain restaurant businesses might try and move in to establish themselves in the European market. And then they would spread from there.[Twilight Zone Music]

Yeah the movie Wall-E was funny, but sad for me at the same time. The fact that the consumerism hit so close to home did it. People buy and buy and buy. I was surprised when someone(older) once told me that ice cream was a treat back in their day. And I don't mean like a treat after dinner. They meant a treat as in it was harder to make and was appreciated. We have come so far, yet gotten so fat haha.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:02 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,996,885 times
Quote:
"Theyre like the canadians of Europe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
EDIT: English is also the 2nd most spoken language in the PH after the native language.
move on to a new trivial information. maybe you can look into the stories about the colt45, the banning of marrying white people and colonial mentality. not to put down but just fun facts.
Thanks for supporting Pacman. I can hang with Steve Perry too

Old 03-18-2010, 02:13 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times
OMG. Cut it out already with all the talk of the Philippines and who knows more about the hip nightlife, who is more Filipino and whether Cebu is provincial or not. My family is friends with the Osmenas and I am Carlos P. Romulos' niece. I support Pacquiao, Aquino & also have 2000 pairs of shoes. Is any of that true? WTH cares considering none of it has any bearing on this thread.

I think Norwegians are cool, btw.

Is wysiwyg back? Sure sounds like he is!

Now, can we get back to Houston?

Old 03-18-2010, 02:51 AM

334 posts, read 915,527 times
Quote:
Oh, I don't know... go visit Stockholm if you want to hear some jokes and trash talking about Norwegians. Funny how that is; if you want to hear some trash about any nation, just ask their neighbors, and you'll get a ready supply.

And does it matter if we veer off topic; the thread is a little silly anyway, que no?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:31 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,471 times
I love the freeways, where else can you be 40 miles away, across town in 30 minutes

Old 03-18-2010, 08:44 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,996,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
OMG. Cut it out already with all the talk of the Philippines and who knows more about the hip nightlife, who is more Filipino and whether Cebu is provincial or not. My family is friends with the Osmenas and I am Carlos P. Romulos' niece. I support Pacquiao, Aquino & also have 2000 pairs of shoes. Is any of that true? WTH cares considering none of it has any bearing on this thread.

I think Norwegians are cool, btw.

Is wysiwyg back? Sure sounds like he is!

Now, can we get back to Houston?
nice.
what do you call those guys with baskets covering their faces back in the WW2 - the guys who IDs guerillas?

Old 03-18-2010, 06:18 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
"Houston kinda grossed me out" is a gross exaggeration!

Old 03-19-2010, 05:32 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
haha not every "CITY" is happening, especially at night. That is what we're talking about. Cebu being the 2nd and Houston being the 4th doesnt mean much compare to that one city for every country. Like I predicted your GF is a "promdi" (from d'province) and they dont have much nightspots most 'main' city folks are used to.
Manila is an old small city, its a huge ghetto, however Metro Manila is the big one. its maybe like Houston downtown(but not dead) compared to the rest of Houston. It includes many other cities or municipalities and all grew up like the Galleria - shopping (PH is addicted to mega-malls), big business, highrise condos, colleges, public transportation, zoning laws = nightlife.

cities in poorer countries tend to be overpopulated because theres not many options where to look for work. but sure you can still have some form of nightlife if 50% of houston is hardlabor illegal immigrants like i said, mix at your own risk.

cebu is a great place but (i think) only if youre in the resort areas.
I've been to both...Cebu is certainly a colorful, dense and very vibrant city. They specialize in a guitar-making district as well as this one street that has dried fish. It's less serious than Manila, more jovial in that way...but the intensity of density is almost on par.

And downtown Houston isn't "dead."

Old 03-19-2010, 05:43 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
I agree with that....Waco to Houston..big city. But don't compare Houston to NYC...just can't to it.
Why not? It's a still a fast growing metro of global importance...yet it negotiates suburban reality with excellent urban amenities. Ethnic diversity and cultural import here are about as significant as NY. We're just not as overcrowded here. Bigger isn't better when it comes to living comfort.

I don't care if there are strip malls here in Houston. It's easy to get chores done by vehicle, don't you think? In one center and out for dry cleaning, in one center and out for Fido's new chewball, in one center and out for a quick smoothie...

It's not like NYC where commuter times are twice as bad as anywhere else in the US. Taking bags of groceries in the subway, or many, many blocks, in the rain at times? All the time? No car? That sucks. And even if you have a car in NYC, forget it. Parking SUCKS!!

I will prefer Houston's New Chinatown format ANY DAY than the tourist trap style of NY or San Fran. It offers the same things, yet it's much easier to get in and out. And you know what? Houston's New Chinatown is still quite vibrant with packed storefronts of people going in to eat and shop. The Sin Chao Center is PACKED on the weekends with interesting pedestrian traffic. Ultimately, NY and San Fran are for the tourists. New Chinatown is for us...and visitors who appreciate it.

There are cool strip centers in Houston that have cool spots to hang out with vibrant bars and cafes such as the Americana on Westheimer/Fountainview and the Carillon Center when we don't feel like going inside the Loop. But you don't have that option in a traditional urban environment like NYC.

And with ECLECTIC stuff like Rice Village, downtown, Montrose, Old Town Spring, 19th St Heights, Kemah Lighthouse District, Woodlands Waterway, Galveston Strand...there are many points of interesting commerce that distract Houstonians rather effectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston