Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 01:47 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times

Advertisements

I work downtown and it certainly isn't dead, but i don't think it was quite the fun as during the mid to late 90s or early 2000s(pre-construction days).

Old 03-20-2010, 04:22 PM

81 posts, read 128,256 times
here's an idea ... stay in new york. mlm

Old 03-20-2010, 07:22 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulksmashpunyhumans View Post
here's an idea ... stay in new york. mlm

Old 03-20-2010, 07:45 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
New York is not the experience I want everyday...so no, it ain't the center of my universe. Isn't Houston one of the top cities people are MOVING to? Isn't NY one of the cities most working class types are looking to leave?
wgrz.com | Buffalo, NY | Report: New York Losing Population to Other States
That's nice. But most young professionals especially those who prefer a more urban environment would more likely take New York before they take Houston or just about every other city in the nation. I wasn't talking your experience anyway though. BTW, in your link. That is referring to New York State. But the New York metropolitan area is growing and the city of New York is also growing and it's growing at a healthy clip. The NY area as of 2008 grew by nearly 800,000 people since the 2000 census. Over 350,000 have moved to New York City since 2000.

Quote:
New York street life is BLAND compared to Manila's. New York is a rough cesspool compared to Amsterdam and London.
And what a wonderful cesspool it is. Besides, what's the point of bringing up other cities to make New York look bad.

Quote:
It's all relative.

Houston is just the perfect blend of excitement in certain corners, pastoral reflection in certain others and quiet in appropriate areas...all in one convenient package. I don't know why anal urbanists can never get that. Sorry, Houston is just a much more balanced and pleasant place to live...and that's what's important. Not Conde Nast and Travel & Leisure propaganda lists.

If you've read my other posts, I don't use my car all the time to get to work. Indeed, most other Houstonians can be a slave to their cars, but so what? It's mostly an American reality.

I've experienced driving my own car and almost getting clipped in tight Manhattan. It's deplorable up there.

I don't think Houston should use more of those parallel parking sidewalk drags just for the sake of being cute.

I lived that in SoCal and that gets to be awfully inconvenient and quite dangerous when it's difficult to see around parked cars when negotiating corners.

Besides, Houston has a plethora of little destination areas, either nouveaux or well-aged, that aren't typical strip center style such as parts of the Montrose, Old Town Spring, downtown, 19th Street Heights, Mid Lane, Rice Village, Kemah Lightouse District, City Centre, Woodlands and etc.

Again, I find the open parking of the typical strip centers here in Houston to be convenient when doing my pressing errands. In then out. Simple. Modern. Then if I want some big city style of differing vibes, I can hit areas like downtown or Washington Ave...or eclectic 'hoods like Montrose or Rice. Don't see what the problem is with this.

Westheimer is still a pleasant resource for me just to drive and cruise up and down. Hands down. It's an all purpose drag for errands and entertainment.

Just the fact we can have all sorts of settings and environments in close convenience/accessiblity is what makes Houston a superior city to New York in terms of balanced living.
I wasn't trying to knock Houston at all and I happen to love the hell out of the city. However, it has it's faults and it doesn't touch the vibrancy or urbanity that you get when walking and traveling around New York. You work the strip malls to your advantage and that's great. I happen to think they are a nuisance to me. I can't stand the infrastructure, and the lack of the public transit system that plagues Houston. For me, New York would be a great place to live because of my preference over Houston.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:19 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
^ Agree, knocking NYC doesn't make Houston better, it just makes it look worse actually.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:22 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
I'm glad you have come to that realization. Now go out and use it.

To answer your question. Yes, that is what C-D is for. But there comes a time when you notice certain posters commenting the same way, and it is always negative. I have been on here for a while now, and I have noticed you are one of these people. Every city has things people don't like about it. You just seem to specialize in the negative. Have fun with that.

And of course you can get bored. I'm 25 and I get bored. But it usually happens because the people I know are doing something else. But guess what? I don't mind doing things on my own half the time. Some times more than half the time. So if I'm bores, I usually find something to do. And no, everything there is to do in Houston doesn't cost money.

First off, what cheap shot? That statement was more than just for you. It was for people like you.

People know you enough? What kind of statement is that? They know you in the little-bitty circle you run in? Because I don't know you, haha. You like Hip-Hop and R&B? Is that it? You don't even want to know all the music genres I am into. But this isn't about me. My point is that I guess i don't let myself get bored. What does you girlfriend have to say about this? I'm sure she is tired of being bored too.

[From the crowd] Oh no he didn't!

Yes, I did.

But, honestly I'm not going to tell you what to "find". You need to look for yourself. Open your mind. If you want organized football, I'm sure you could find it in Houston.

And you are worried about sticking out in the crowd? I like diverse crowds just as much. But if there are more of one race than another in there, it doesn't bother me one bit. Yes, you really do need to get over that angst. Trust me when I tell you, it will open up conversation and other opportunities.
How did this turn into how I need to "open" my genre's up. Instead of admitting that there aren't enough venues and this city can't get it together enough to keep people excited and keep the vibe up in the "hot" areas. But, I cant really say anything, there are many events and things coming up in Houston, NCAA Tourney and definitely excited about the upcoming DRAKE concert(if you keep you music options you should know who that is). I keep spending my time well, you really shouldn't worry about what I'm doing. And please believe that I'm not the only one who thinks that Houston lacks the vibe and could use a little an upgrade in the nightlife scene. I just happen to be on this forum and said it here.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:44 PM

874 posts, read 2,892,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
and definitely excited about the upcoming DRAKE concert(if you keep you music options you should know who that is).
I still love that Jimmy from "Degrassi" is now all over the place. His musical performances on that show certainly weren't predictors of his current success.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:47 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
How did this turn into how I need to "open" my genre's up. Instead of admitting that there aren't enough venues and this city can't get it together enough to keep people excited and keep the vibe up in the "hot" areas. But, I cant really say anything, there are many events and things coming up in Houston, NCAA Tourney and definitely excited about the upcoming DRAKE concert(if you keep you music options you should know who that is). I keep spending my time well, you really shouldn't worry about what I'm doing. And please believe that I'm not the only one who thinks that Houston lacks the vibe and could use a little an upgrade in the nightlife scene. I just happen to be on this forum and said it here.
Good for you. Discussion over. You win.

Oh, and I don't really like Drake at all. I don't like most rap now-a-days. Have fun at the concert though.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:41 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,100 times
Quote:
re: EEStudent, I don't know if there's any hope for that individual.

People that complain about H-town in that way will never truly get it.

Houston is not about "sprawl" or "decentralized" or "lack of density."

Houston is all about REGIONAL DISTRIBUTION. No corner of it really looks the same, unlike other, ahem, "real" cities. We don't feel like one kind of setup, we go to another.

Chicago, like LA and NY, is pretty much the same urban setup and sidewalks in different points of the city, no matter how crowded. Yes, Chicago's cores like Rush Street are pretty cool but downtown Houston is comparable.

Ever notice how popular Robertson, Colorado Ave, Main St. Santa Monica, Sunset Blvd, Hollywood, Melrose and such in Los Angeles all have pretty much the same streetscape? Hollywood is the grand cheese there of such streets, though. But I get more edgy thrill in downtown Houston's urban landscape than Hollywood/Highland.

Moreover, ghettos I've visited like Compton and Inglewood have the same streetscape, parallel parking as Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills! Just a difference in upkeep and gloss, that's all. But the template for the sidewalk to building set-up...fairly standard Los Angeles. Now, there's not too much similarity in the streetscapes of the Galleria area and classic 3rd Ward, namely the interesting Alameda St they have there.

But Houston is spread out with all kinds of spots in the sprawl, and I like the fact that we're not overly concentrated in any one area. We have jagged streetscapes, filled with a mix of bungalows, conventional business buildings, Victorian houses, clapboards and everything but the kitchen sink. We have smooth upscale streetscapes that rival Rodeo Drive, albeit in a wider way.

We can be offset by sleek modern high rise canyons...or oak tree drives...or palm trees...or pastures. We have a good variety of settings here. Many superficial complainers just don't see it. They want the media-shaped popular centers of other cities. We have some of that style here...yet we have what those other cities don't either.

I like our variety of party districts here because we have all manner of layouts and sizes AND vibes:

-Washington Ave: very intense party district off a major but intimate street with LOTS of foot traffic. My video documents that. No need for words.

-downtown Houston: classic urban setup with LOTS of foot traffic. My video documents that. No need for words.

-Rice Village: nice, very lively Morningside St bar crawl that has a comfy secluded vibe in a faux-Santa Monica or SoCal type of ambience. My video documents that.

-Montrose: great collection of eclectic bars, neighborhood pace, Poison Girl is a damn great experience once in a while. I don't think you'll find a good collection of Victorian conversions and bungalows such as Byzantio, Avant Garden and Agora Ka in places like Chicago or LA.

And Montrose area has great late night eateries too like Biba's, Little Big's Burgers, Katz's and such.

Of course, for the gay crowd, the back streets of the Montrose offers interesting stuff for them. Houston's got all kinds of nightlife for just about everyone, indeed.

-Midtown: not as hot as before but W. Gray still has a good collection of bars with some decent foot traffic. That little block containing the likes of Front Porch Pub, Wine Bar, Coco's, Fish and such has a mini-West LA nightlife feel...yet down a quarter mile heading out on W. Gray...there's a neat oak tree mini-entertainment strip that consists of Agave, Cecil's Pub, PJ's Bar, Byzantio and West Gray Cafe (to stuff the post-buzz munchies). And they don't have that kind of semi-rustic setting in too-polished-but-plastic LA (or gritty Chicago).

-White Oak St.: an interesting array of bars close together, anchored by the awesome Onion Creek, great drinks with the Bad Ass Hot Dog...being there reminds me of Tago, Philippines for some reason. Do they have that kind of semi-rustic party area in Chicago proper, or maybe the greater Chicagoland? I don't think so.

-Uptown Gallera-area: Still very much a busy area on the weekends after midnight. Lots of buzz, for sure. There are things going on in Uptown Park, like Club Belvedere, Tasting Room and Champp's. Then go down Sage, between Hidalgo and W. Alabama. Look at the lines and valet out at all those different clubs, people hanging out of some al fresco night spots, particularly the green neon bar at the corner. The Galleria density has filled in nicely.

-Shepherd Plaza environs: I LOVE that cluster of COLORFUL converted bungalows that quarter Blue Fish, Hobbit Cafe and a couple bars next door. Blue Fish ain't a typical sushi house...but damn, what a FUN place to do some rolls! There's still a few pubs like Davenports, McElroy's and some others in that corner...as an alternate hangout area if one doesn't feel like going downtown or Washington Ave or the Galleria area. Zake Lounge at the corner of Shepherd and Richmond is still cool but maybe it's losing its luster a bit.

-Kemah Lighthouse District: The eccentric bar crawl by the sea. I love the array of converted clapboard houses that are now different kinds of bars. I imbibed so many White Russians that I can't remember the names of the different pubs. The mom-n-pop Lighthouse District is the yin to the yang of the Corporate Fertitta Boredwalk.

-MarqE Center: This is still a major hammer in Houston nightlife for the working class. Dave N Busters, Drink Houston, Improv Comedy. MarqE still buzzes after midnight on the weekends. You look at the much larger Irvine Spectrum Center south of Los Angeles at midnight. Ah, hell, try even the Promenade in the Howard Hughes Center in Los Angeles. Oh that's right, I recall they close at 9 pm. Do they party like that in those types of open air malls in SoCal? HECK NO. They have this Disneyesque joke of a thing in Anaheim or somewhere near called "The Block." And they think Orange County is truly cool? Manufactured cool? Not the laid-back but genuine cool of H-town, that's fo' sure.

-Richmond Strip: No longer what it was in the '90s. But you know what? There's still eclectic nightlife there. Rocca Bar, Byblos Cafe, Club Traffic, various exotic clubs, Wild West, Club Bourbon or something like that, original Dave N Busters, Sam's Boat, Richmond Arms, the Fountainview tangent (Kentucky Club, Darband Khabobi - I love this Persian hangout, Cafe Europa).

And there's the eternal "ethnic Richmond Strip" with many clubs and bars near the Fondren axis that cater to Colombians, Ethiopians, Salvadorans and such. Not celebrated as much in the whitebread press...but hey, it is still part of Houston nightlife.

-Woodlands: That's right. Have you seen it lately? They have a connection of faux-Main Street and ultra-modern City Centre. There are lounges and bars about to be set up. The demographics up there support this nouveaux upscale entertainment district to be. Once they are, this is a very interesting place to go. Whether I actually drive up there for that, is another question. But for north Houstonians (with money), it looks good up there.

-New Chinatown: Hip East Asians love glossy neon food lounges at night, open til 3:00am on the weekends. It's a form of their nightlife along with some karaoke. Cafe Yummy is great for a chill spot. Order some finger foods like squid or hot pots and drink up. Cafe 101 is even yummier than Yummy. For instance, being served by anime girls come to life until 3:00am? My wife got really mad at me for letting my eyes wander badly. There are new such joints opening up all the time on Bellaire Blvd. I love this area of town.

This doesn't even include the hundreds of establishments not connected in a party district.

Houston has an active buzz throughout the sprawl on weekend nights. I never got this feeling of nocturnal opportunity living in similar Sun Belt environs like San Diego and Tampa Bay, their same old cliched tourist districts.

Again, Houston is not a classic urban small limit. You'll never find a super-huge pedestrian district here. But I like having different kinds of street corners with different streetscapes in H-town that you don't get in a traditional city with smaller geography.

People bored in Houston on a Thursday or Saturday night? America's 4th largest city? That's because they themselves are probably B-O-R-I-N-G.

DID YOU SERIOUSLY just say RUSH STREET is comparable to Downtown Houston. What Chicago did you go see???, I've seen your videos of Downtown Houston and I will admit that it surely isn't dead... But compared to Downtown Chicago on a Saturday night? maybe in your dreams.

You seem to take a lot of time to make that list.. and I agree with some of it and others in my opinion are just outlandish. But, the way you wrote that list it seems like everybody is crazy when they seem to doubt the amount of nightlife Houston. Or maybe to you everybody really is that crazy.

I am debating whether or not I feel like going down some of that list...

I will dab into some of it...

DT is not dead... your video truly shows that... but dont compare it to Chi-town.

Montrose is eclectic, very true. But Katz's is a New York themed restaurant... I dont think that bodes well for your argument.

Midtown- Legit nightlife spot... not out of this world but definately there and alive... security is another issue though.

Uptown- I know a friend thats a club promoter there, and when I first went there I was surprised... almost EVERY Bar/Club there is in a Strip mall! it was amazing how they did it... almost as if people want to go into a lounge that could pass as a regular convenient/clothing store.

Kemah- is in Kemah not Houston.

MarqE district- Not manufactured... are you kidding me... your saying that a Dave and Busters, Red Robin, and a Cafe Adobe etc. isn't manufactured?!?

Richmond-I like the restaurants more than the actual nightlife.. but sometimes in Houston, those two just mix. House of Pies is definately a plus. And that D&B isn't the original. Some of those clubs are truly in the crapper... check out Metropolis on Richmond...

Woodlands- A) not in Houston B) More than likely the people that end up going there are the older (30s-50s) crowd that would look out of place at a lounge in the loop.

Compared to Sun Belt Houston is far above them all. But for the 4th largest City Houston has alot of catching up to do.
People that believe that Houston has an endless amount of nightlife and a great vibe.. I would call that
I-G-N-O-R-A-N-T

Old 03-20-2010, 10:44 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,303 times
Quote:
I've been there. Cebu City and Manila are comparable, but different. Cebu's just quite smaller and less serious. Same jeepneys, same crowded sidewalks. Same heat, same smell, same weather...just a difference in the prevalence of Tagalog vs Visayan dialects, that's all.

Well, my YouTube video that I recently took certainly disproves downtown Houston is "dead."
YouTube - HOUSTON - Downtown - Saturday Night
I know I should just let this go but I'll probably lose some sleep if I do.
First, I know youre good with words and take pride of your long houston boosting/putting down other cities posts but I realise now that you really do not know what *comparable* means. one city is 800k people and other is 11.5 MILLION people, one has a cottage industry of making guitars and the other has the top of the line stock exchange, one is a capitol of a province and the other is the capitol of the most diversified and democratic country in the region

heres wikipedia
Metro Manila - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cebu City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

compare skylines if thats your thing
"comparable" but different? smaller, less serious but comparable?
same jeepneys? really? same weather? thats all??? dude youre well read but dont know jack****.
are you *comparable* to michael jackson?
no wonder you think NYC is comparable to Houston LOL

2nd, you have no idea what *lively* means. I feel so embarassed for you showing that video every chance you get. I've seen wakes more livelier than whats in that video. If youre filipino I'm sure youve had too. I worked at downtown in front of the pavillions. there are some people of course but its as *lively* as a corpse most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston