Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 04:49 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times

Advertisements

Downtown had a chance before the street construction 10 years ago. It was really coming back. I remember a really wonderful wine cave name Arnauds..or something like that. Several other very trendy and upscale places that make an area flurish...but then came the street construction and everything died.

I know some really great areas, but I'm not telling.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:03 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,977,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Downtown had a chance before the street construction 10 years ago. It was really coming back. I remember a really wonderful wine cave name Arnauds..or something like that. Several other very trendy and upscale places that make an area flurish...but then came the street construction and everything died.

I know some really great areas, but I'm not telling.
You obviously were never in Downtown Houston during the years right before & after the Superbowl then. Every weekend the streets were flooded with party goers.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:13 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,543,784 times
Downtown's very much a work in progress. See where it is in five years. The main CBD area on the W/SW side of downtown will always be dead at night, but office towers always are. Everywhere. I'd say look from Main on east toward 59 for the more happening spots after dark.

Anyway, I just shot a bunch of photos of overhead power lines and freeways for everyone's enjoyment and grossing-out. And a couple billboards too. Uploading now.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:17 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You don't say Houston's downtown is very vibrant than use that video for proof. It just defeats the whole purpose of that statement. I wouldn't even call downtown Houston vibrant myself; it attracts a decent crowd some nights, but still the downtown seems very dead once you get off Main Street.
not true. turn to franklin street near toc bar and travis. i have seen grips of people on those streets

Old 03-23-2010, 10:34 AM

433 posts, read 701,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
Hey come on now, at-least the man gave an attempt. Now if he had a better camera none of you would be saying anything...

I admire his attempt... a better camera would have done it more justice.

If he is bound to a wheelchair, then I understand.

It just looks like the person is too shy, embarrassed or weird to shoot a video normally. I would not want to visit or live in a town where a person who continually touts the city's nightlife as great, shoots a video from the hip or the knees. The dated, acid house, big beat sound doesn't help either. I'm thinking late 30's or 40's POV.

This shows how one person views a city vibrancy. Strictly by the numbers. If I didn't know which city was being filmed, I could have mistaken it for downtown Denver. Come to think of it, I think it's comparable to Houston as far as bars and clubs go. Quality, not quantity.

People make it vibrant and everyone says the people make Houston great. So really show the people. Much easier than writing a two page summation every time someone makes a remark.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:15 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Downtown's very much a work in progress. See where it is in five years. The main CBD area on the W/SW side of downtown will always be dead at night, but office towers always are. Everywhere. I'd say look from Main on east toward 59 for the more happening spots after dark.

Anyway, I just shot a bunch of photos of overhead power lines and freeways for everyone's enjoyment and grossing-out. And a couple billboards too. Uploading now.

Everybody expects every inch of downtown to be vibrant, full of energy, people walking around, etc. etc. and that is not the case. Not one major city has a vibrant downtown in every corner in this nation. Even New York and Washington DC. I read from some New Yorkers that after 5, many parts of Manhattan shut down. Same with parts of downtown DC.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:19 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,994,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I read from some New Yorkers that after 5, many parts of Manhattan shut down. Same with parts of downtown DC.
bagel shops.

The "fashion district" (the fabric stores) kinda closes early. but thats when the area becomes street parking for times square visitors. some 'hidden' clubs open up in the area at 10pm tho
other areas are purely residential and warehouses

the city still doesnt sleep

Last edited by SteveArmy; 03-23-2010 at 12:28 PM..

Old 03-24-2010, 04:10 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,527,526 times
If a major part of downtown Houston can be like the Gaslamp district in S.Diego or vibrant like Georgetown area in D.C in a few years, that would be really nice!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:44 PM

433 posts, read 701,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
If a major part of downtown Houston can be like the Gaslamp district in S.Diego or vibrant like Georgetown area in D.C in a few years, that would be really nice!
Yes, something similar to Georgetown area would be nice.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:44 AM

782 posts, read 1,086,602 times
I like the look of Houston. Even the freeways - I enjoy riding up those long concrete ribbons to the sky. Driving 80 feet in the air on those ramps with short walls, I love it. Just wish I could slow down to a crawl so I could enjoy the views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston