Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,307 times

Advertisements

Me and my sisters family plan on relocating to the Houston are in June or July. One of our jobs is out of the deer park area and want to keep the drive at about 45min. We are looking for areas that have rental houses at about $1500 a month and that also have good schools. We have been looking into the Katy area along with some others. Does anyone have any other suggestions on good areas with affordable rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 04:03 PM

847 posts, read 1,751,579 times
since work will be in deer park, i would suggest somewhere south....maybe clear lake,friendswood, pearland, etc. if you lived in Katy, your drive would easily exceed 45 min.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:37 PM

175 posts, read 939,151 times
Bluelion is correct. Katy is a long commute. You can search rentals on HAR.com. Look at the MLS map on the top left. Select areas 6 and 7. If you double click the map, it will enlarge it better defining the areas. You can also search by zip code. If I remember correctly, Clear Lake School District is top rated.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:35 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
With a $1,500 monthly rent, you can get really great places all over Houston, but yes, I do think you should look into Pearland or Clear Lake it will be a lot closer to your work.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:47 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrdn1743 View Post
Me and my sisters family plan on relocating to the Houston are in June or July. One of our jobs is out of the deer park area and want to keep the drive at about 45min. We are looking for areas that have rental houses at about $1500 a month and that also have good schools. We have been looking into the Katy area along with some others. Does anyone have any other suggestions on good areas with affordable rentals.
Katy to Deer Park = over an hour with almost no traffic. Add traffic---add bad weather (defined here as "rain")---and you're looking at 2 hours.

Pearland would be a nice compromise---decent schools, nice houses, within your price range, e-z commute to Deer Park, but not as far out/trafficky as Clear Lake for everybody else who might need to get to work.

...and for the record, I personally like Clear Lake better and would love to live down there---but I don't want the associated traffic headaches. I'd rather live here and go down there to visit.

One thing about Houston---it helps to have alternatives. My "usual" commute is down IH-10, but if there's some nightmare on it, I can take the Westpark Tollway to 59, or I can even go on the surface streets (takes longer). From any of the coastal communities---there aren't that many decent alternate routes. I love it down there, but I like having more than one way "out".

Old 04-04-2010, 01:23 PM

46 posts, read 269,639 times
Congratulations on leaving Michigan. We moved here almost two years ago from Michigan and love it. One thing about Houston is you really want to try to live a reasonable distance from where you will be working. Katy would be out of the question. Unless you go to work early and leave early to avoid the horrendous traffic. I would look in Pearland or Clear Lake also. Good luck on your move here and hope you enjoy it!

Old 04-04-2010, 01:47 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Since the work area is Deer Park, why not try living in Deer Park? It's a pretty nice city actually.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:58 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Katy to Deer Park = over an hour with almost no traffic. Add traffic---add bad weather (defined here as "rain")---and you're looking at 2 hours.

Pearland would be a nice compromise---decent schools, nice houses, within your price range, e-z commute to Deer Park, but not as far out/trafficky as Clear Lake for everybody else who might need to get to work.

...and for the record, I personally like Clear Lake better and would love to live down there---but I don't want the associated traffic headaches. I'd rather live here and go down there to visit.

One thing about Houston---it helps to have alternatives. My "usual" commute is down IH-10, but if there's some nightmare on it, I can take the Westpark Tollway to 59, or I can even go on the surface streets (takes longer). From any of the coastal communities---there aren't that many decent alternate routes. I love it down there, but I like having more than one way "out".
You find Clear Lake "trafficky"? Actually in Clear Lake or going somewhere else from there? To me, it seems to be less traffic than other similar areas.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:45 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Since the work area is Deer Park, why not try living in Deer Park? It's a pretty nice city actually.
Yeah I was wondering that too. Deer Park is supposed to be one of the nicer areas with good schools, unlike it's neighboring city. Clear Lake is a good choice, too, but yeah traffic is bad during peak hours on Bay Area blvd and Clear Lake City Blvd.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:42 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Yeah I was wondering that too. Deer Park is supposed to be one of the nicer areas with good schools, unlike it's neighboring city. Clear Lake is a good choice, too, but yeah traffic is bad during peak hours on Bay Area blvd and Clear Lake City Blvd.
I would actually have to go alone with what they're saying, it does make more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston