Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 05:34 PM

50 posts, read 129,807 times

Advertisements

Last week I couldn’t have told you one suburb in Houston. I am now a "little" familiar with a few; Cypress, The Woodlands, Katy, Sugarland, and Kingwood. We live in Atlanta and are looking to move maybe to Houston. Here is what we are looking for:

My husband works from home so commuting to downtown is not an issue. He does fly about every 3 weeks. We currently live 45-60 minutes from the airport so we do not need to be 15 minutes near the airport. I tried to figure out the difference between Hobby & Bush. I think Bush is the larger airport so am I correct to conclude that would be the one he would use mostly?

We want a friendly community feel to the neighborhood, trees, & good schools. My daughter is 4 and will be starting kindergarten in the fall of 2012. My son is 21 months. We are planning on moving in about 1 year. Next June/July.

So to sum it good schools, and a friendly safe area. From what I have seen the amount of house you can get for the money is much better than in Atlanta. I think I have been looking in good area I have mostly been searching the suburbs I heard about on here. We are looking for the $225,000 - 325,000 price range.

Any other areas we should check out since commute isn’t an options? Or any thoughts on these I have listed which I should focus in on?

Thank you very much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 03:20 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
Southwest flies from Hobby most all other airlines fly out of Bush. Areas I would look at are Kingwood, Atascocita/Eagle Springs, Fall Creek and Summerwood.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:22 PM

I wanted to also add that we would *Love* to find neighborhoods that are a bit more spread out as opposed to seeing 3 or 4 houses from your backyard. I am not sure if this is a very hard thing to find or not. I know in Atlanta it can be hard, but they do exist.
Thanks for any help.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:00 PM

Thank you Chris, I am off to check those out, both on here to get some more info and on HAR. I appreciate it. This really is a great resource for discovering a new place to live!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:20 PM

If you want an acreage community not too far from IAH then check out Forest Cove (Kingwood), Riverwalk (Porter) and Bender's Landing Estates (Spring) although the last one would be pushing your budget.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:32 AM

739 posts, read 2,135,895 times
You may want to look at Royal Lake Estates in Richmond. Acreage community within your price range. The commute to Bush airport would be the same as yur commute in Atlanta. LCISD schools. New middle and junior high school opening 2010. Elementary school is great. Near Sugarland, Greatwood. Low taxes. Located in Fort Bend County.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:00 AM

Richmond is about as far as you can get from IAH and still be in Houston. Commons on Lake Houston is another one to look into for acreage.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,081 times
fallcreek?

Old 03-18-2010, 11:09 AM

I found a house I loved! But the schools are ranked very low so that throws that one out the window. It was actually in Riverwalk in Porter. I searched Porter on the forums and it didn’t get the glowing reviews that other suburbs get. One person even mentioned if you have too many teeth you wouldn’t fit in. Another person mentioned that Porter hasn’t been part of the sprawl yet so who knows maybe it is a great investment area…But with a 4 year old we don’t really have the time to wait for the area to improve. This is the house in case anyone wanted to see it. I have been searching for houses for about 3 weeks in Charleston, Raleigh, Jacksonville & Houston. When I saw this one I said to my husband ok let’s move here and not wait 1 year.

[SIZE=3]http://search.har.com/engine/19411-Desna-Drive-Porter-TX-77365_HAR50847537.htm[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
So that leaves me back to my search. I have been looking recently in Sienna Plantation but I don’t know much past what I have read and I am not sure about being In Missouri City. I also have seen quite a few homes in Eagle Springs in humble. The other places I have been looking are Cypress, Kingwood, Spring, Woodlands & Katy. I have a few questions I thought I would post here before starting a new thread.

We are moving from Atlanta. We have been here for 10 years and we want to move closer to the coast and to an area that is less spread out…so you are thinking why Houston right? Houston was number 4 on the list with our other 3 cities much smaller. But none of them are nearly as strong on education as the Houston suburbs are. Combined with the cost of living it jumped to the top. All 4 places are hot and humid like Atlanta for a long time in the summer. But we thought if we are going to stick with hot and humid why not go somewhere where it is nice from October through April then. My hesitation with Houston was the size and the beach. I have seen various posts that are slamming Galveston and others that say it is a great day trip to let your kids play on the beach if you go to the pocket beaches. See I have been reading on here! I grew up in Vancouver and lived 30 minted from the beach. Here in Atlanta were are 5 hours to Charleston or Savannah and about 6 or 7 hours to Destin Fort Walton areas. If we want to go to the beach for a week we would still probably go to the gulf of Florida or get on a plane to Mexico. We want a smaller community feeling and one where you actually get to know people. I feel like in 10 years we are always back at square one trying to meet people. All of our family lives in Canada so we only have friends to be part of our regular social life and our kids life. Here it seems people spend so much time in traffic that come the weekends unless the person lives directly in your neighborhood they don’t want to drive to come see you. We have found that and I am not sure if Houston would be any different? I have heard others say that Atlanta is a hard city to meet people it seems so transient. I wonder these same things about Houston? If anyone is new to Houston what do you think?

With a large multi subdivision neighborhood like eagle Springs or similar I am sure just by volume you would meet lots of other families. Okay I will sign off my mini novel now. If anyone has any suggestion on community feel to a neighborhood or area I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Terri

Old 03-18-2010, 12:07 PM

That is a very nice house. You probably saw my previous posts about that area. Riverwalk is nice but the main part of Porter around it is very white trash. That being said I live just south of there in Oakhurst which is part of Kingwood but also in Porter. Pretty much all of Houston is like that with nice areas surrounded by bad areas. I would suggest you come down in person and drive around to get a feel for these places yourself if possible. Everyone has their opinion but its only your opinion that matters. The schools in Porter area are decent but not great. We send our son to private Montessori school so that is an option depending on your financial circumstances. Kingwood has a great Montessori school and you can get to know a lot of people there from the area, they have a lot of social events for the parents to hang out and make friends. Cost is $700-$1000/month depending on if you need extended care in the mornings or afternoons.

If you do buy the house on the lake there then we would be glad to come over and hang out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston